Why would a searcher create a fake blaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would a searcher create a fake blaze

I fail to see the logic in a cruel searcher creating a fake blaze.

if you are the cruel searcher... why would you create a fake blaze in an area you yourself were searching in? All it does is add another flag post to that section of forest. And if it was recognizable enough for jack to classify it as a fake blaze- it means another searcher was 1000 ft from the chest and instead of finding it- they wasted their time creating a fake blaze...that does what exactly?

Ok, so I stumble upon your fake blaze. Nothing there. Oh well, on my feet go.

can anyone help me in understanding why on earth anyone would waste their time doing this? I’m at the point where I don’t believe this part of the story at all.

Imagine someone combing through an area and coming up empty. When she decides to abandon the area for good, she leaves behind an "F" carved into a tree trunk.

Her thinking is, "I went through hell in this area, with nothing to show for it. If another searcher passes by, I'm going to make sure she suffers as much as I have."

It's a cruel thought, but I could see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
      Imagine someone combing through an area and coming up empty. When she decides to abandon the area for good, she leaves behind an "F" carved into a tree trunk.

Her thinking is, "I went through hell in this area, with nothing to show for it. If another searcher passes by, I'm going to make sure she suffers as much as I have."

But again. I’m faced with the simple decision. I see this F. I see no chest. I can move on. Either it was found, or it was made by someone else, or it’s a coincidence. None of those options would tell me “oh I need to comb this area now.” Nor should it.

Comment

Originally posted by searcher2342 View Post

But again. I’m faced with the simple decision. I see this F. I see no chest. I can move on. Either it was found, or it was made by someone else, or it’s a coincidence. None of those options would tell me “oh I need to comb this area now.” Nor should it.
        I agree, it doesn't accomplish anything. But a person who does that is probably reacting out of frustration, rather than sound logic.

There was a TV show called Mantracker that aired years ago. In each episode, two people in the wilderness (the prey) were given a map to a location some distance away. They had 36 hours to reach the finish, traveling on foot. Mantracker was an experienced tracker, accompanied by a local guide who knew the terrain. Traveling on horseback, his challenge was to hunt down the prey before they could reach the finish. The prey were given a head start, so Mantracker had to pick up clues in order to determine their direction of travel.

In many episodes, the prey did stupid things to antagonize Mantracker. A common tactic was to string a fine wire across a trail, in an effort to impede someone riding past on horseback. Of course, Mantracker was never affected. All this did was confirm to him, with 100% certainty, that he was on the correct trail. So people don't always do things for rational reasons. Many of the prey were just frustrated that they had been climbing a rocky mountain all day, or bushwhacking through thick vegetation to stay hidden from Mantracker.

Comment

'It' just happens sometimes...

https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/...ac7a49223.html

Comment

I fail to see the logic in a cruel searcher creating a fake blaze.

if you are the cruel searcher... why would you create a fake blaze in an area you yourself were searching in? All it does is add another flag post to that section of forest. And if it was recognizable enough for jack to classify it as a fake blaze- it means another searcher was 1000 ft from the chest and instead of finding it- they wasted their time creating a fake blaze...that does what exactly?

Ok, so I stumble upon your fake blaze. Nothing there. Oh well, on my feet go.

can anyone help me in understanding why on earth anyone would waste their time doing this? I’m at the point where I don’t believe this part of the story at all.
            Why would they? Too many possibilities.
            why wouldn’t they is the question you should be asking!

Comment

Brings up a few other questions. Was the fake blaze the same type of thing as the real blaze? Why else would Jack think it was Forrest’s blaze? Unless it was an F or something that could easily be associated back with Forrest or if it was what Jack (and someone else) figured out the blaze to be.

Comment

Forrest created the second blaze.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster View Post
                  Forrest created the second blaze.
                  Exactly...Forrest created the "fake blaze" thru his writings.....a blaze remember is something that stands out. Forrest highlighted this blaze in part thru the Dizzy Dean chapter. The blaze was part of the mirror solve designed to occupy your search season for an extended period of time.....it was also highlighted in the map Forrest "drew" and the photo of Forrest by the airplane in My War for Me. Without naming the location...I also verified to Jack that the "fake blaze" was located at an elevation of 6666ft........the 66 (K) being the oddly measured links north of Santa Fe.

Comment

Think more along the lines of Forrest's me in the middle statement. Forrest's blaze took a long time to appear.

Comment

Did he bump into a fake F laying on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post

It is sadly unfortunate how a few self-centered individuals scurried around trying to destroy Forrest and the Chase early on. Fame at any cost was the game, and to this end, they should feel ashamed.

Comment

If it were true that a fake blaze was created by a searcher, that particular searcher would have come forward to say he knows the location! Maybe it was Shannon, live breaking news in an hour!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by miracleman View Post
                            Brings up a few other questions. Was the fake blaze the same type of thing as the real blaze? Why else would Jack think it was Forrest’s blaze? Unless it was an F or something that could easily be associated back with Forrest or if it was what Jack (and someone else) figured out the blaze to be.
                            I asked myself this. How was it identifiable to jack as a fake blaze.

he either saw something that looked like a common blaze guess, or something that derailed him, and thus whoever left the fake blaze really did a number... perhaps they should invest in hosting a treasure hunt rather than solving one.

Comment

I asked myself this. How was it identifiable to jack as a fake blaze.

he either saw something that looked like a common blaze guess...
                              Yes, I think that's it. The fake blaze could have been double omegas or "FF" carved into a tree trunk. Both were commonly associated with Forrest.

I don't think it would have derailed Jack much, except to slow him down a bit while he checked the area under the fake.

The fake doesn't interest me nearly as much as the REAL blaze does.

Comment

Working...
                              X