Slough Creek and bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slough Creek and bears

Something that isnt sitting right for me and Slough creek is bears. From what I've gathered paying attention to searchers who really know the YNP area quite well... it seems there's, at the very least, a grizzly den if you take slough creek up to the east from the campground. If one goes on google reviews for Slough creek, one will see multiple reviews discussing bears being seen at the creek.

Jack said he never encountered a bear once in his 25 days of searching. I had a quasi solve for this area using buffalo creek, but I never took into consideration Jack's statement on bears/ and the area being home to grizzly's.

Can we verify if this area is safe from bears ( safe as any other area of the park of course)? Can we verify if they chances of seeing a bear in this area is remote, or frequent? I think that may help?

Originally posted by searcher2342 View Post
    Something that isnt sitting right for me and Slough creek is bears. From what I've gathered paying attention to searchers who really know the YNP area quite well... it seems there's, at the very least, a grizzly den if you take slough creek up to the east from the campground. If one goes on google reviews for Slough creek, one will see multiple reviews discussing bears being seen at the creek.

Jack said he never encountered a bear once in his 25 days of searching. I had a quasi solve for this area using buffalo creek, but I never took into consideration Jack's statement on bears/ and the area being home to grizzly's.

Can we verify if this area is safe from bears ( safe as any other area of the park of course)? Can we verify if they chances of seeing a bear in this area is remote, or frequent? I think that may help?
    There is another area of the park that is safer from bears than the Slough Creek area. The area I'm thinking about surrounds a petrified tree that is more than a million years old, and is fenced off.
    Although the fencing is to keep people away from the tree, bears are also prevented from entering that area.

Comment

This area DEFINITELY has many bears in the area. In fact, some people go to Slough Creek hoping they will see bears.

Comment

Slough Creek is SOLELY MISDIRECTION--NOTHING (of significance) to be seen/found there, be assured.

Comment

Jack Jack Jack....when do we know if he is telling us B.S and when the truth? You CANT drive thru Yellowstone without seeing a bear somewhere!! Black/cinnamon bears are all over the place...I promise if you are there 25 days...you will see several and often in the more populated areas....They cause HUGE traffic jams.....am I right or am I right?

Grizzlies are a bit more secluded. Most are at a distance up in the hillside and you need binoculars to be sure if they are bison or bear.
          Have I seen them......absolutely....had on wander into my backcountry camp around midnight and let out a roar......but I responded in a manly way and started hiccupping so loud I probably scared him away. Found the tracks in the mud nearby the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by willynilly

just because it doesn’t fit your solution doesn’t mean it’s wrong. It’s a possible contender imo
            If I must, I repeat, I KNOW SLOUGH CREEK IS MISDIRECTION, & if you 'push' it then you're part of the 'misdirectors'.

Comment

Well then if you KNOW then you are in the CU, how else could you possibly know?
              CUer !!

Comment

LOL
                AND, as if you don't know, I AM THE PERSECUTED (BY CU) LEADSOLVER !!! & I'M NOT 'LOLING'.

Comment

So basically anyone who disagrees with you is automatically labelled a cu? Well, that’s not really fair is it, what does that automatically make you? You sir are rude, and unfair.
                  OK, then Willy, answer me honestly, this, "How many akas have you used on THOR in the last year ?" (I have only ever used 1, UB, I swear this on the life of my family)
                  It's true ,mostly only CUers can be bothered to disagree with me, as they follow an agenda & are 'paid' to follow it. In other words, their opinions
                  are NOT their own, but are paid for.
                  As you have gathered I'm 100% anti-CU.
                  I view it as my role to be rude to CUers because as I said, they persecute me & my family (If I have misjudged non-CUers, I apologize)
                  I'm a relatively ordinary armchair searcher living in the UK, following the 'chase' since 2017 (unfortunately)--Who are you ?
                  And no need to reply, if you can't do it honestly !

Comment

Originally posted by UNtitleD Brave View Post

AND, as if you don't know, I AM THE PERSECUTED (BY CU) LEADSOLVER !!! & I'M NOT 'LOLING'.
                    I am curious who this CU (Leadsolver) is? and what do you think they have to gain by bothering you........my only objection to your posts is they can be a bit disruptive....other than that, you are just another opinion and there is no shortage of those.

Comment

This Chase Underground (it is not worthy of abbreviation) conspiracy theorizing is childish, tiresome, and stated as factual with zero evidence.

That said, the latest focus on Slough Creek is, in my opinion, as misplaced as the "GPS Solve," given that it is derived primarily from multi-level hearsay. I think Icebox Canyon is a more clever choice for WWWH than dormant or extinct Soda Butte geyser, and I did briefly consider the former very early in the Chase. But I found the hoB options seriously wanting down-canyon from Icebox so I crossed it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                        This Chase Underground (it is not worthy of abbreviation) conspiracy theorizing is childish, tiresome, and stated as factual with zero evidence.

That said, the latest focus on Slough Creek is, in my opinion, as misplaced as the "GPS Solve," given that it is derived primarily from multi-level hearsay. I think Icebox Canyon is a more clever choice for WWWH than dormant or extinct Soda Butte geyser, and I did briefly consider the former very early in the Chase. But I found the hoB options seriously wanting down-canyon from Icebox so I crossed it off.
                        Whatever happened with the thermal waters. Didn't ff said there must be actual warm water, and Jack too? There is no warm water off of Slough Creek or Ice box Canyon.

Comment

IMO Jack mixes around definitions to twist around truths and lies. Using the "violent clash" definition of encountered, I'd say he told the truth. It's also possible he truly didn't see any bears if he was close enough to the campground (assuming it was near this creek).

Comment

Originally posted by Max23 View Post

Whatever happened with the thermal waters. Didn't ff said there must be actual warm water, and Jack too? There is no warm water off of Slough Creek or Ice box Canyon.
                            I considered Icebox Canyon in 2015 only because of the possibility that its name was a potentially clever answer to "where warm waters halt." Forrest's statements suggesting the waters should actually be warm didn't come until much later. Nevertheless, from 2016 on I had settled on the position that when Forrest wrote "warm" in the poem, he meant it in the conventional sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

I considered Icebox Canyon in 2015 only because of the possibility that its name was a potentially clever answer to "where warm waters halt." Forrest's statements suggesting the waters should actually be warm didn't come until much later. Nevertheless, from 2016 on I had settled on the position that when Forrest wrote "warm" in the poem, he meant it in the conventional sense.
                              Makes sense. Didn't you have a Gallatin solve? No warm waters there either but now that we know the information why keep entertaining losing propositions? What I find strange is that even those searchers for whom those 'warm waters' comments were directed, like Cynthia who very recently made a video about this same issue, and also the admin here with the 'deep your toes' comment will completely forget about it at the drop of a hat. Maybe is just for the clicks. No warm waters at the GPS solve, Slough Creek or Bighorn National Forest.

Comment

Working...
                              X