Fuzzy logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzy logic

Fuzzy logic allows for flexibility to suit one's (ahem) desires. I don't want to get too much into absolute philosophy here (such as invoking the "I think, therefore I am" idea).

Please tell me whether the following statement (next line in this posting) seems true:

Hundreds of people know where the treasure chest was hidden.

I say the statement seems true. They know that it was hidden in the Rocky Mountains. Not in Europe. Not in Florida. But they don't know precisely where the TC was hidden. Even precisely may be a somewhat vague word, but I'm willing to be pragmatic here and define it in this context as meaning that it defines a small enough limited location, by definition, to be so small that a person, if seeking the trove, and in that location, could find the trove. Of course, I was also vague there . . . to test you in order to determine whether you were paying enough attention to what I said. I didn't specify that the aforementioned person wasn't totally/legally blind. A blind person, otherwise fit and healthy, might need to use hands to touch/identify the TC, and might therefore need to get within about 2 feet of it in order to do so. A statistically average searcher who reads this message may need to be within about 8 feet of the TC to see it, and may need for this a very bright flashlight -- I mean with an LED that has a brightness of a thousand or more lumens. By the way, this flashlight could (ahem) conceivably help one find the blaze, if the blaze is longer than a football field and not named on a
    map.

I'm going to try to be technically precise in the rest of this message.

If the trove was hidden where I think it was hidden for more than 7 years but less than 11 years, more than ten miles north of Santa Fe, NM, it's not likely that Forrest Fenn carried the trove more than half of a mile on uneven, rugged terrain during a hike to hide the trove, all during one afternoon. I suspect that he had help shlepping the goods, but could still have hidden them from his helper.
    Here's one way this could have happened . . . if the helper carried the goods most of the distance from a reasonable-to-me parking spot (that a reasonable searcher would use) toward the hidey spot, Forrest could then have sent the helper back to the parking spot, and asked the helper (by cellphone) to read and recite the license plate info of the motor vehicle utilized by Forrest on the day of the hiding of the goods at the hidey spot. While reciting the plate's info, the helper would be pretty far from the hidey spot, and unable to see it. This would allow Forrest to carry the goods a couple hundred (or more) feet to the hidey spot, and the helper would never know precisely where the spot was. Forrest could also have paid the helper to refrain from searching for the trove. Also to refrain from sharing information about the location of the hike that was used to bring the goodies more than 200 feet from the parked sedan.

I suggest that you think precisely and logically while working to solve the poem. It appears that we are doing this based on faith in Forrest's honesty and ethical character. Yes, this makes us a bit vulnerable, I suppose. In fact, I'm feeling pretty vulnerable about all of this, and have spent much time and money in an effort to find the trove.

I believe we should not be spending a lot of time trying to insult, belittle, or offend others who participate in this forum. Good luck to all of us. Please take care to be safe from illness, injury, and hurt feewings.

Old Pilot Thank you for your thoughts... lots to digest here.

For now i just feel the need to comment on the fuzz.
    Fuzzy logic has always annoyed me when it comes to the decision making process due to "partial truths". This works fine if one would like to develop, for example, a some non-physics based AI weather model where the partial truth could be cloud cover as input. Is it cloudy? It could be no, partially, or yes at any given moment. Now, try using this logic to help navigate a domestic situation. You find yourself at a decision point and ask your significant other if they are committed to you (and you expect a yes or no answer), but they pull out the fuzzy logic card and say "I'm not currently in a relationship with someone else". Some much for fuzzy logic... it really gets under my skin. I'm a boolean guy. Yes or no?... move forward. Yes or no? Onward. Enough of my fuzzy logic pet peeve rant. Limbo ugh.

Comment

I seriously fell out of bed and woke to this? Jack May have been the helper? Good luck OP.

Comment

"...the poem in my book led him to the precise spot."

Many poem interpretations allow for being precisely wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	darts-high-res-1-300x157.png
Views:	276
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	272402

Comment

What Forrest did not want to tell people is when and if you have the right solution it will take you to a 12X12 spot.
          He knew few had the ability to solve the poem and he did not want to take away the thrill of the chase.
          He wanted people out there having fun and if they knew their solve had to be that dialed in they would never go BOTG.

Comment

Scrabble Points: 6.
            • S
            • P
            • O
            • T

Comment

I gotta work out this flashlight LED angle, need the right daytime lumens rea, 8 ft of focal length x pi... I dunno!

Comment

Originally posted by JHSharp View Post
                I gotta work out this flashlight LED angle, need the right daytime lumens rea, 8 ft of focal length x pi... I dunno!
                If you are serious about considering bringing an LED flashlight, you might want to take my approach to save weight: Use smaller batteries than C cells. You can buy lightweight plastic spacers that allow you to use AA cells, or even AAA cells in place of C or D cells. The voltage is the same, and the LED will be as bright . . . but for a shorter time. You shouldn't need it for more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

OP is sage and wise. If I make a trip west this summer I would hope to cross paths with him.

Comment

Working...
                  X