Broken Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Glass

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24141.jpg Views:	9 Size:	326.7 KB ID:	271991 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24140.jpg Views:	9 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	271990 Logic says that putting paper in a glass jar out in the wild would not work even if sealed. One problem with that is if it bangs around against the jewels it would be broken open. If the chest is sitting there partially open you would have the rays of the sun penetrating it which would accelerate the decay of the paper. Let’s not forget the fact that all moisture would need to be removed from the air in the jar. Now wouldn’t a tin container or a mixed metal make more cents? If it was a thumb drive or something else in the glass then that would be more believable. Maybe Oh or someone knowledgeable could chime in on it.

https://youtu.be/TXIFLjvMfeo
    Last edited by Phantom; 04-07-2021, 07:52 AM.

Things placed in glass jars, even without sealing the lid, just screwing the lid on.....last for decades. My dad's godfather didn't trust banks, so he buried his money in his back yard (which, incidentally, was waterfront, so moist & wet, not dry ground) over a period of about 30-40 years.....when he died his son had to go around the yard with a metal detector looking for the jars.....not one was broken, nor was the cash (bills, not coin) in them deteriorated, but his son still isn't sure he found them all.

Is there something more in Fenn's jar? I do believe there is.
    To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
      Things placed in glass jars, even without sealing the lid, just screwing the lid on.....last for decades. My dad's godfather didn't trust banks, so he buried his money in his back yard (which, incidentally, was waterfront, so moist & wet, not dry ground) over a period of about 30-40 years.....when he died his son had to go around the yard with a metal detector looking for the jars.....not one was broken, nor was the cash (bills, not coin) in them deteriorated, but his son still isn't sure he found them all.

Is there something more in Fenn's jar? I do believe there is.

Here’s the problem with your analysis. Buried jars don’t move. Cash is also more resistant because it’s not paper per se. Its a proprietary blend made of cotton and other materials. Have you ever left a bill in your pocket and run it thru the washing machine? Have you ever left a paper with written notes in your pocket and run it thru the washing machine? I’ll be waiting for your reply RR

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Here’s the problem with your analysis. Buried jars don’t move. Cash is also more resistant because it’s not paper per se. Its a proprietary blend made of cotton and other materials. Have you ever left a bill in your pocket and run it thru the washing machine? Have you ever left a paper with written notes in your pocket and run it thru the washing machine? I’ll be waiting for your reply RR
        Don't hold your breath, you arrive literally, what, today? And I'm supposed to worry about your opinion? I agreed there is something more in the jar. The jar obviously didn't break or fall victim to the forces you laid out as problematic, so not an issue.

Comment

Don't hold your breath, you arrive literally, what, today? And I'm supposed to worry about your opinion? I agreed there is something more in the jar. The jar obviously didn't break or fall victim to the forces you laid out as problematic, so not an issue.
          Don’t get mad because your cash in a jar theory was flawed. The way I see the glass jar is like this. Putting glass out there in the wild is a risk. You should care about my opinion so the next time you tell that story you can correct your mistake before hand.

Comment

Don’t get mad because your cash in a jar theory was flawed. The way I see the glass jar is like this. Putting glass out there in the wild is a risk. You should care about my opinion so the next time you tell that story you can correct your mistake before hand.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	d6ikj.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	272007

Comment

Name:	d6ikj.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	272007
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTqFxMxfzkA

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	image_24141.jpg Views:	9 Size:	326.7 KB ID:	271991 Click image for larger version Name:	image_24140.jpg Views:	9 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	271990 Logic says that putting paper in a glass jar out in the wild would not work even if sealed. One problem with that is if it bangs around against the jewels it would be broken open. If the chest is sitting there partially open you would have the rays of the sun penetrating it which would accelerate the decay of the paper. Let’s not forget the fact that all moisture would need to be removed from the air in the jar. Now wouldn’t a tin container or a mixed metal make more cents? If it was a thumb drive or something else in the glass then that would be more believable. Maybe Oh or someone knowledgeable could chime in on it.

https://youtu.be/TXIFLjvMfeo
                Ever hear of a message in a bottle? They've recovered century(ies) old wine from shipwrecks, still intact.

This bottle wasn't banging. I swing a 45 pound kettle bell for a workout. There's no way a person is going to to move this chest in a manner to break it. That gold is all locked together, and at most, a few coins might rattle around if you shook it as hard as you could. I doubt even if I picked up the chest and dropped it on concrete that bottle would break. I'm thinking the chest might break before the bottle, as it's cast bronze containing a lot of solid weight.

The paper was not exposed to the sun. The lid was closed, and in the photos, it's obvious to me it was buried.

Moisture is easily removed via an oven or just setting the bottle in the hot, dry, Santa Fe sun.

Cents aren't made out of tin. A tin can will rust over time. If anything, the lid of the bottle looks like it was on it's way to potentially rusting through eventually, probably because of both the air and moisture in the chest, a point you didn't mention.
                You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Comment

Nice to meet you Phantom. I think your 7th post featuring a sealed olive jar is bold. Something will be banging against the jewels I'm sure. But, there is no need to worry about anything breaking ⚡

Name:	Screenshot_20210407-100917_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	896.4 KB
ID:	272057

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

Ever hear of a message in a bottle? They've recovered century(ies) old wine from shipwrecks, still intact.

This bottle wasn't banging. I swing a 45 pound kettle bell for a workout. There's no way a person is going to to move this chest in a manner to break it. That gold is all locked together, and at most, a few coins might rattle around if you shook it as hard as you could. I doubt even if I picked up the chest and dropped it on concrete that bottle would break. I'm thinking the chest might break before the bottle, as it's cast bronze containing a lot of solid weight.

The paper was not exposed to the sun. The lid was closed, and in the photos, it's obvious to me it was buried.

Moisture is easily removed via an oven or just setting the bottle in the hot, dry, Santa Fe sun.

Cents aren't made out of tin. A tin can will rust over time. If anything, the lid of the bottle looks like it was on it's way to potentially rusting through eventually, probably because of both the air and moisture in the chest, a point you didn't mention.
                    For one the chest being partially open refers to the elements. 2 it’s glass in the picture. 3 you may lift a 45 lb kettle ball but 5 nights a weeks I do 1200 repetitions with various weights. From 1# to 175#s. Split that into 3 by the average weights. 4 if you drop a 45 lb box the glass is going to break (I know this). Taking moisture out of a container is not as easy as leaving it in the sun. You need a vacuum chamber like when they purge a central air system before adding refrigerant. 5 tin can be mixed with other metals to produce a better material. 6 Forrest said it wasn’t buried. It was hidden. 7 How the hell do you know the paper wasn’t exposed to the sun. 8 ancient coins were made from gold, silver and bronze ( which was augmented with tin). 9 do more research.

Comment

For one the chest being partially open refers to the elements. 2 it’s glass in the picture. 3 you may lift a 45 lb kettle ball but 5 nights a weeks I do 1200 repetitions with various weights. From 1# to 175#s. Split that into 3 by the average weights. 4 if you drop a 45 lb box the glass is going to break (I know this). Taking moisture out of a container is not as easy as leaving it in the sun. You need a vacuum chamber like when they purge a central air system before adding refrigerant. 5 tin can be mixed with other metals to produce a better material. 6 Forrest said it wasn’t buried. It was hidden. 7 How the hell do you know the paper wasn’t exposed to the sun. 8 ancient coins were made from gold, silver and bronze ( which was augmented with tin). 9 do more research.
                      The chest's top was possibly exposed to the sun, but its lid was closed. I wouldn't have stored unexposed film inside the chest as it's not airtight and therefore probably not ambient light-tight, but no direct sunlight could have reached that olive jar. I'm confident the autobiography inside that olive jar would have been absolutely fine for decades.

Your point #6 is in error. Forrest never said that the chest wasn't buried.

Hemispheres Magazine (January 2013): “What serious adventurers should remember,” Fenn says, “is to not believe anything that is not in my poem or otherwise in my book. There’s some misinformation out there. For instance, I never said I buried the chest, I said only that I hid it. That is not to say it is not buried, so maybe we need to define the terms. Does ‘hidden' mean in plain sight? What is the difference between ‘buried,’ ‘entombed’ and ‘sepulchered’? "

Personally, I think the chest was sepulchered as opposed to buried "pirate style," covered with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

The chest's top was possibly exposed to the sun, but its lid was closed. I wouldn't have stored unexposed film inside the chest as it's not airtight and therefore probably not ambient light-tight, but no direct sunlight could have reached that olive jar. I'm confident the autobiography inside that olive jar would have been absolutely fine for decades.

Your point #6 is in error. Forrest never said that the chest wasn't buried.

Hemispheres Magazine (January 2013): “What serious adventurers should remember,” Fenn says, “is to not believe anything that is not in my poem or otherwise in my book. There’s some misinformation out there. For instance, I never said I buried the chest, I said only that I hid it. That is not to say it is not buried, so maybe we need to define the terms. Does ‘hidden' mean in plain sight? What is the difference between ‘buried,’ ‘entombed’ and ‘sepulchered’? "

Personally, I think the chest was sepulchered as opposed to buried "pirate style," covered with dirt.
                        My wording was a tad off but it still leads to the same result. You can hide a chest under a couple feet of earth.

Comment

No. You're not supposed to worry about any opinion here. Not even yours. Please try to calm down.

Comment

1. ?
                            2. Yes, that's the point
                            3. The point is nobody can swing around a 42 pound chest enough to break that jar. You don't have to detail your workouts, but as long as you did, 175# freeweights is nothing if you are talking squats or bench - a 45 lb kettlebell will kick your butt. How else would it possibly "bang against the jewels."?
                            4. If the jar is as shown and the chest is dropped straight down, I'd take that bet. Scientific samples are dried in ovens all the time to get their dry weight. All you need is heat and time. They certainly don't use a vacuum pump. That's only for freeze drying. If you feel the need to go to ridiculous lengths, go ahead and buy a motorized vacuum pump and chamber for about $200. The point is Fenn could get the bottle dry.
                            5. Irrelevant factoid
                            6. See Zapsters reply, and study the pictures carefully
                            7. Same as 6
                            8. Irrelevant factoid
                            9. On what?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
                              1. ?
                              2. Yes, that's the point
                              3. The point is nobody can swing around a 42 pound chest enough to break that jar. You don't have to detail your workouts, but as long as you did, 175# freeweights is nothing if you are talking squats or bench - a 45 lb kettlebell will kick your butt. How else would it possibly "bang against the jewels."?
                              4. If the jar is as shown and the chest is dropped straight down, I'd take that bet. Scientific samples are dried in ovens all the time to get their dry weight. All you need is heat and time. They certainly don't use a vacuum pump. That's only for freeze drying. If you feel the need to go to ridiculous lengths, go ahead and buy a motorized vacuum pump and chamber for about $200. The point is Fenn could get the bottle dry.
                              5. Irrelevant factoid
                              6. See Zapsters reply, and study the pictures carefully
                              7. Same as 6
                              8. Irrelevant factoid
                              9. On what?
                              Well that’s not my workout routine. That’s what I do for work. Mainly for exercise and to pass time during this wonderful CORONA winter. Vacuum pump. I already have that along with a chamber to heat it up. As far as irrelevant goes. That’s how I see you thru my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X