Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOTG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BOTG

    I like to hike in the mountains when I get the chance, but have never done so in the spring. Mud I can deal with, any other hazards I should be aware of ? Bears ok I can deal with that. Cold weather, got it covered. Am i missing something?

  • #2
    Dehydration, hypoglycaemia, cramps, injuries, distances in the Rockies are about 3-4 times longer than Google Maps let's you think... let people know where you are hiking! Insects, in spring more ticks than mosquitos... thin air, check your fitness!

    But all in all, there's nothing better than hiking the Rockies! Have a great time!
    „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
    G. C. Lichtenberg

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cowboyrocker View Post
      Dehydration, hypoglycaemia, cramps, injuries, distances in the Rockies are about 3-4 times longer than Google Maps let's you think... let people know where you are hiking! Insects, in spring more ticks than mosquitos... thin air, check your fitness!

      But all in all, there's nothing better than hiking the Rockies! Have a great time!
      Already in training, check, check, Thanks

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #4
        I think I am going to find some pretty girl with a dirt bike or a horse to take me to my spot.
        Then I can spend my time hanging around keeping my head down and enjoy the view.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Knowledge View Post
          I think I am going to find some pretty girl with a dirt bike or a horse to take me to my spot.
          Then I can spend my time hanging around keeping my head down and enjoy the view.
          Don't play with them low hangin' fruits!
          „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
          G. C. Lichtenberg

          Comment


          • #6
            LOL

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cowboyrocker View Post

              Don't play with them low hangin' fruits!
              Hear hear! a void berries off the ground as they can give you rokgut or stones on your kid knee.

              Comment


              • #8
                Winter of above average temps and below average snow means its an early start.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Depending on where you go, there's still snow on the ground in early June. Snow is frozen solid in the morning, but you'll be "pot-holeing" on the way back in the warmer afternoon (stepping through top of the snow sometimes feet deep). Very tiring!!

                  Those boot spikes help with snow covered hilly areas so you don't slip.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sandwich

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Edouard Dantes View Post
                      I like to hike in the mountains when I get the chance, but have never done so in the spring. Mud I can deal with, any other hazards I should be aware of ? Bears ok I can deal with that. Cold weather, got it covered. Am i missing something?

                      Snowpack blocking forest roads. (Late May)

                      Heavy snow melt turned a creek into a dangerous river (early June)

                      Those were my experiences. I tried again in mid-July and that same creek was as gentle as could be. The internet has no idea what conditions are “in the wood.” Be prepared to turn back - safety first.

                      FP

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Call rangers in the area to make sure your spot isn't closed for bear activity or cougar activity or any other reason. All creeks and rivers are dangerous May through June from mountain run off.

                        Road conditions also a concern, depending on where you're looking this time of year. You might think a road is open and then show up and it's completely blocked by a front end loader and then you're walking a long way to even get to your starting spot. Additionally, when a road is closed like this, you'll be alone out there. I've done it. It's fun until you're like ten miles into a closed region and thinking of what would happen if you got hurt. Because what would happen is maybe you'll die.

                        Be safe.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          https://youtu.be/0Gc0zRliO-k

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FennPoint View Post


                            Snowpack blocking forest roads. (Late May)

                            Heavy snow melt turned a creek into a dangerous river (early June)

                            Those were my experiences. I tried again in mid-July and that same creek was as gentle as could be. The internet has no idea what conditions are “in the wood.” Be prepared to turn back - safety first.

                            FP
                            On my first BOTG search hike, in late-ish May, I got snowed on and did turn back, for reasons of safety. I figured that survival was more important than a bronze box of gold coins, etc.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

                              On my first BOTG search hike, in late-ish May, I got snowed on and did turn back, for reasons of safety. I figured that survival was more important than a bronze box of gold coins, etc.
                              Snow in them thar hills ain't for all. Me on the other hand, I prefer the ground to be frozen and it to be dark while searching... just a stray mountain lion to contend with. From within the darkness, shines the most concentrated light - on the bronze chest. Tenacious D knows:
                               

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X