Distance from car to spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

The reason I got the impression Jack was searching in a dense forest is because of what he said about pine tar. Every time I've come out of a forest smelling like pine tar it's because I was off trail in an area with a relatively dense tree cover. Maybe crawling over deadfall pine trees would account for the pine tar.
    Yes I see. Like a canopy of pine

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

The reason I got the impression Jack was searching in a dense forest is because of what he said about pine tar. Every time I've come out of a forest smelling like pine tar it's because I was off trail in an area with a relatively dense tree cover. Maybe crawling over deadfall pine trees would account for the pine tar.
      Sounds like it's in the wild forest to me as well. The only time I got pine sap on me was from climbing over fallen trees and grabbing them to pull myself up on the ones that were like waist high. In a flat forest it's easier to walk around trees like that than to climb over. When I found myself climbing over trees most times it was near a creek. You can't really go around because the creek is on one side and the other way is uphill and maybe more difficult in typical mountain creek terrain.

He also stood 6 feet from the spot without recognizing it - which tells me it IS in a ubiquitous looking place. Essentially behind a random tree in the forest. Likely the edge of the forest since he can see mountains from the spot. The "fake blaze" being 1000 feet away sort of tells me that Jack was searching in a narrow path - like along a creek. Because his likely target area was supposedly a football field which maxes out at 300 feet, but we know he searched beyond that limit because he thought it might be larger.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ007 View Post
        Perhaps a bit too cynical of a possibility here's how searchers may have come within 200 or 500 feet of the TC and not known it. That is, those folks were in Santa Fe, walking the streets, and that TC could have been locked up in a vault nearby in one of the buildings they passed by. Those searchers visiting Santa Fe talk to Forrest and mention where they searched in the wilds. Meanwhile Forrest is amused knowing those searchers really did get close to the TC that was in the SF vault. So he states later there were searchers that came very close, as he smiles to himself.
        An old idea, but a good one. Forrest didn't specify when folks were within 500 or 200 feet of the TC. It could have been in his home at the time(s). And as far as I know, he and his wife were folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tornado View Post

The Little Girl had to Listen Good and learn to see with Marvel Gaze to get past the 2nd clue and realize that 77 is where the magic is.
          Not all magic is at 77. I realize it's like 69, but you get 8 more.

Comment

Good point. Otherwise 21 pounds of gold and jewels would be sitting in a parked car on an isolated road in the wilderness as Forrest strolls into the woods with an empty chest.
            Where did you get the idea the road was isolated, or in the wilderness? By the way, there would be little temptation to a casual observer if the goodies in the car were covered by
            1) a cloth or
            2) a hungry full-grown tiger or
            3) the lid of the car's trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewoodian View Post

Sounds like it's in the wild forest to me as well. The only time I got pine sap on me was from climbing over fallen trees and grabbing them to pull myself up on the ones that were like waist high. In a flat forest it's easier to walk around trees like that than to climb over. When I found myself climbing over trees most times it was near a creek. You can't really go around because the creek is on one side and the other way is uphill and maybe more difficult in typical mountain creek terrain.

He also stood 6 feet from the spot without recognizing it - which tells me it IS in a ubiquitous looking place. Essentially behind a random tree in the forest. Likely the edge of the forest since he can see mountains from the spot. The "fake blaze" being 1000 feet away sort of tells me that Jack was searching in a narrow path - like along a creek. Because his likely target area was supposedly a football field which maxes out at 300 feet, but we know he searched beyond that limit because he thought it might be larger.
              I think that every mention of a football field (in the context of this treasure hunt) is a hint, whether unintended or not. And it's not a hint directly related to a distance or measurement of 300 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Not all magic is at 77. I realize it's like 69, but you get 8 more.
                Thank you Pops... now if I can just get my little ghost to come home...

Comment

Comment

I think Forrest was in great shape even at 80 to haul the treasure on two trips anywhere he wanted, yet I'm going with just a few hundred yards from the parking spot, not miles. Considering the difficulties- obstacles like fallen logs, streams, ledges, cliffs, etc, and considering the hazards like bears, injuries or whatnot while out in the woods, my guess the hiding spot was pretty close, not miles away from the car. Plus when you get miles into the woods, it is really difficult to find an exact same spot twice, let alone after twenty years. (Ever lose something in the woods and try to go back and find it?) Unless the hiding spot was near a landmark, which is unlikely since landmarks are key destination spots for searchers. Plus I think on the trip with the chest with perhaps half of the gold and jewels, you can't really throw it into a backpack and have all the precious contents jostle around every step. So I bet he carried the TC flat, and in front of him with outstretched arms (to keep the lid from flying open and dumping some of the items), which would probably be extremely tedious beyond a few hundred yards.
                    Besides the fact it’s easy to find things in the woods if you, yourself, have placed them there, and Anything can be a ‘landmark’, I’m trying to wrap my mind around why you think he would carry 42 lbs of weight in front of him with outstretched arms? Like straight arms at a 90 degree angle from his body in front of him? People don’t even carry a birthday cake without somewhat bent arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewoodian View Post

That seems reasonable. At Forrest's age it would have been difficult to crawl under low hanging tree branches while carrying a heavy pack. It probably makes more sense that Jack got the pine sap on him while climbing over fallen trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Where did you get the idea the road was isolated, or in the wilderness? By the way, there would be little temptation to a casual observer if the goodies in the car were covered by
                        1) a cloth or
                        2) a hungry full-grown tiger or
                        3) the lid of the car's trunk.
                        Regarding "temptation by a casual observer", that might be mostly a myth people have. That is, I think most people are honest, so even if they do notice something of value, they won't have an urge to steal it. Instead, I think most thievery is planned. That is, crooks will watch, seek targets and wait for opportunities. They will wander 'innocently' through parking lots while casing cars, or they will see someone with valuables, and then stalk and calculate how to take them. (unless of course, as you say, they were covered by "a hungry, full-grown tiger"! lol)
                        Any traveller is vulnerable at anytime. A car with out of state plates is a natural target for thieves for just by its very nature, there will likely be some valuables inside. And when traveling, it's hard to get anything done legally.

Thus, if I was Forrest and going on an hour long hike, or whatever, regardless of whether the contents are covered or not, I would not leave two million dollars of gold unattended. Just think, those gold and jewels were locked up safely for at least a couple of decades, and then to nonchalantly leave them in a car! No way, too much risk ratio, ( the ratio of value to chance is pretty high), and thus I think Forrest took the gold first.

I am not sure if there would be more risk leaving valuables in an unattended car in a popular parking lot, or in the isolated wilderness. That is, thieves go for the easy targets where the goods are more likely to be gotten. Thus thieves are less likely to be on an isolated road to begin with. Yet then again, a parked car in nowhere is very vulnerable to easy taking for potential thieves who happen to be passing through. Hard to say-.
                        -------------------------------------
                        Regarding "isolated, or in the wilderness", I mean any out of the way place. I think Yellowstone is a red-herring, and the reason is that any popular place like a national park, or even a semi-rural, populated place is going to have a lot of observers and eyes watching. Plus it is quite difficult to get off trail without encountering tons of dead log falls, there are bears, and deadly thermal areas to be aware of.
                        If the area was semi-rural, like national forest but with some small town, or ranches, etc nearby, I suspect there will still be a lot of observers or eyes watching. One rancher I know has a spotting scope in his living room window from high on a ridge. A lot of people whom you have no idea of, do pay attention. So I am thinking the hiding spot was likely off some dirt, remote National Forest road with zilch likelihood of anyone noticing.

Comment

When Forrest was asked about the chest location he said the chest was in a place that people would not ordinarily go.
                          He never said is was isolated or far from structures. He said it was not associated with a structure. Associated means connected to.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledge View Post
                            When Forrest was asked about the chest location he said the chest was in a place that people would not ordinarily go.
                            He never said is was isolated or far from structures. He said it was not associated with a structure. Associated means connected to.
                            Um, Forrest said exactly that it was in an isolated area.
                            https://youtu.be/IP6fcZ-yn9M?t=208

I've heard somewhere imagination is more important than Knowledge.
                            Last edited by Whatever; 04-05-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatever View Post

Um, Forrest said exactly that it was in an isolated area.
                              https://youtu.be/IP6fcZ-yn9M?t=208

I've heard somewhere imagination is more important than Knowledge.
                              I would watch a little longer maybe the 5:40 mark or so

Comment

You can see Forrest fighting himself with that question about the chest location.I watched that over and over trying to read him.
                                When you know where that chest was hidden you will understand why he had such a problem with the answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X