Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distance from car to spot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Distance from car to spot

    In the spreadsheet I stumbled over an email exchange between a Redditor and Jack

    Redditor: "Just for the peace of mind, I recently emailed Jack to see if he would just confirm the treasure was closer than 6 miles to the nearest road.

    His response was - I don't want to say that, but I will say Forrest only walked a few miles
    "

    I have a hard time believing that Jack's statement is true. Let's assume the most optimistic scenario, that Jack is ignoring the actual intent of the question and talks about the total of both trips Fenn took to hide the chest, and that with "a few" he only means two. This would still mean that Forrest, being 80 years old, walked at least a whole mile from his car to the hiding spot and back, partly off trail, while carrying 20 pounds of loads with him half way. And he would have done this twice.

    Good to know that its only a few miles. No matter how many rests Forrest would have taken to catch his breath, I would be very surprised if that was the distance he walked.

    (This is the post where the quote was taken from)

  • #2
    Jack is just replicating the answer Forrest gave in 2014:

    MW Featured Question: Talking in Circles (10/13/2014): “You once said you walked the 92 miles from West Yellowstone to Bozeman to just experience it. Obviously you were much younger than you were when you hid the treasure. Too far to walk means different things at different ages so I was wondering if you would be so bold as to give an estimate of how far you walked to hide the treasure after leaving your car: was it > 10miles, between 5 and 10 miles, between 1 and 5 miles, or less than 1 mile? ~Thanks, Ron”

    FF: “Ron, your question sounds like a travelogue, but I’ll answer it. No, I don’t want to be that bold. But I will say that I walked less than a few miles if that will help. I just looked “few” up and one definition is “scant.” Why do I sound like I’m talking in circles? f"


    Link: http://mysteriouswritings.com/featur...ng-in-circles/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rimsbrock View Post
      In the spreadsheet I stumbled over an email exchange between a Redditor and Jack

      Redditor: "Just for the peace of mind, I recently emailed Jack to see if he would just confirm the treasure was closer than 6 miles to the nearest road.

      His response was - I don't want to say that, but I will say Forrest only walked a few miles
      "

      I have a hard time believing that Jack's statement is true. Let's assume the most optimistic scenario, that Jack is ignoring the actual intent of the question and talks about the total of both trips Fenn took to hide the chest, and that with "a few" he only means two. This would still mean that Forrest, being 80 years old, walked at least a whole mile from his car to the hiding spot and back, partly off trail, while carrying 20 pounds of loads with him half way. And he would have done this twice.

      Good to know that its only a few miles. No matter how many rests Forrest would have taken to catch his breath, I would be very surprised if that was the distance he walked.

      (This is the post where the quote was taken from)
      Believing anything Jack-fell-down-and-broke-his-crown says will distract one from making progress in solving the poem. For example, Jack's response (above) predicts that he will say "Forrest only walked a few miles". Do you know when he will say that? To whom will he say it (if it happens)? I have walked thousands of miles, and have good reason to believe that Forrest also walked thousands of miles. It's anybody's guess when Jack will actually say what he predicted he will say. I suspect you now know how much I value what he says.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Zapster View Post
        Jack is just replicating the answer Forrest gave in 2014:

        MW Featured Question: Talking in Circles (10/13/2014): “You once said you walked the 92 miles from West Yellowstone to Bozeman to just experience it. Obviously you were much younger than you were when you hid the treasure. Too far to walk means different things at different ages so I was wondering if you would be so bold as to give an estimate of how far you walked to hide the treasure after leaving your car: was it > 10miles, between 5 and 10 miles, between 1 and 5 miles, or less than 1 mile? ~Thanks, Ron”

        FF: “Ron, your question sounds like a travelogue, but I’ll answer it. No, I don’t want to be that bold. But I will say that I walked less than a few miles if that will help. I just looked “few” up and one definition is “scant.” Why do I sound like I’m talking in circles? f"


        Link: http://mysteriouswritings.com/featur...ng-in-circles/
        Thanks Zapster, its's good to have that quote at hand!

        The significant difference is, that Forrest's statement describes a distance anywhere down to a few meters, whereas Jack's statement implies a distance anywhere from two miles upwards. He might have made it sound similar, but it is not at all the same. I don't have a good feeling about this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Don’t forget that “to hide the treasure” takes only 3 legs of the entire trip: to and from the location and to and from the location back to the sedan again. If it’s 1 mile from Forrest’s sedan to the location then Forrest walked 3 miles to hide to e chest. On the 4th leg Forrest might as well have been playing canasta on his cell phone because the chest was already hidden.

          Comment


          • #6
            I believe Forrest walked straight to it. It was a stretch from the first point to the last and I'm starting to believe if you switch back or begin deviating from the line, it'll take you of course. When most people go there, I think they feel like they have to deviate and that's what protects it. But if you stay longer that intended then you'll come up on it.

            Tarry-stay longer than intended; delay leaving a place

            Stay-power of endurance (denoting or relating to a race or other sporting event that takes place over a long distance or otherwise demands great physical stamina.)
            Long-measuring a great distance from end to end.

            This also fits with too far to walk. Too far simply means long. And if he's saying its not far, but long to walk...then we can assume it's just a bit of a hike to get there...instead of driving which seems to be the case with so many people.

            Forrest said he could go right straight to it. I honestly think it's probably just a straight path from WWWH. There's something else that is pretty important that needs to be understood in order to get there. It's what Jack missed until he finally figured out what that was. I could be wrong of course since I do not have anything to show for it. But maybe this poem Forrest recited has a hint...

            "Out of the night that covers me,
            Black as the pit from pole to pole,
            I thank whatever gods may be
            For my unconquerable soul."

            brown-of a color produced by mixing red, yellow, and blue, as of dark wood or rich soil.

            I've said this over and over...but I just can't shake it for some reason. In a way I feel a little bit like Jack before he found it. I feel like I know the location but I need to be there to see if it's how Forrest intended it to be. I'm probably and most likely wrong though haha. IMO the evidence in the poem is overwhelming to this general area. Anyways...I agree with the statement that he walked a few miles.

            hike-a long walk, especially in the country or wilderness.

            hike-pull or lift up

            pull up-(of a vehicle) come to a halt.

            The rabbit holes are never ending!

            Comment


            • #7
              I think he could have chosen how far to walk. I’m thinking he walked at least .52 miles total, though he could have chosen or desired to walk further. Perhaps he chose a certain route if he thought it was his last walk there, to “take it in” one more time.

              Or,well... maybe he took a 242 walk. 4 legs good, 2 legs baaaad. Like the riddle of the “mysterious” animal born with four legs at its weakest, which grows stronger after losing two legs, then as it weakens again, gains a third leg. (Crawl, walk, walk with cane).

              Any walk can be too far if there’s a better way! Maybe he walked, then “trotted,” then walked again!
              Last edited by JHSharp; 03-28-2021, 06:29 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                Jack is just replicating the answer Forrest gave in 2014:

                MW Featured Question: Talking in Circles (10/13/2014): “You once said you walked the 92 miles from West Yellowstone to Bozeman to just experience it. Obviously you were much younger than you were when you hid the treasure. Too far to walk means different things at different ages so I was wondering if you would be so bold as to give an estimate of how far you walked to hide the treasure after leaving your car: was it > 10miles, between 5 and 10 miles, between 1 and 5 miles, or less than 1 mile? ~Thanks, Ron”

                FF: “Ron, your question sounds like a travelogue, but I’ll answer it. No, I don’t want to be that bold. But I will say that I walked less than a few miles if that will help. I just looked “few” up and one definition is “scant.” Why do I sound like I’m talking in circles? f"


                Link: http://mysteriouswritings.com/featur...ng-in-circles/


                few, scant, word difference, word similarity, meanings of words, word definitions

                Comment


                • #9
                  Find WWWH and the canyon first.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe Forrest didn't carry the goodies all the way from a "reasonable" parking spot (that is, where you or I would park a sedan) to the hidey spot. Maybe he used a pack horse, pack mule, or aircraft/air drop to transport the goodies to a place relatively close to the hidey spot. And it may be useful to remember that he was no stranger to mischief.

                    Did he use a snowmobile to transport the goodies pretty much from his parking spot to a place near the hidey spot, and return months later on foot to do the rest
                    of the moving of the goodies to the hidey spot? This is a possibility. I would be careful not to underestimate a shrewd guy with money in a case like this.
                    As always, in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was always under the impression that it was no more than 500 feet from a road (whether it be a main road, dirt road or parking lot). That would explain why Forrest never wanted to approximate how many people were 500 feet from it. If he said 1,000s, that would be a pretty significant hint.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Forrest sure did have a lot of stories that would lead you to Mary Wollstonecraft if you followed down those rabbit holes. He also seemed to like the word sepulcher.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Less than a few miles from the sedan ,out and back and back out again treasurers is hidden, about 1800ft x3 =5400ft just over a mile,less than a few miles.
                          even if you count the back to the sedan still less than a few 7200 ft. Clint

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For anyone who was paying attention and double checked Forrest when he first mentioned that trip he took, it isn't 92 miles from West to Bozeman. It is 89 miles. He said 92 miles because the spot where the treasure was was hidden was at a very precise pin in the ground that was marked 6692.55.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CardanoBlockchain View Post
                              I was always under the impression that it was no more than 500 feet from a road (whether it be a main road, dirt road or parking lot). That would explain why Forrest never wanted to approximate how many people were 500 feet from it. If he said 1,000s, that would be a pretty significant hint.
                              I pretty much agree that it is more likely close to this scenario.

                              I would not be surprised if this quote of Jacks will cause him some trouble should the correct location ever be determined.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X