The problem with "Catcher in the Rye"​​​​​​​

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with "Catcher in the Rye"​​​​​​​

1) Fenn introduces TTotc through Chapter 1 "Important Literature" describing his fascination with "Catcher in the Rye" & how Fenn felt it told his life story.

2) "Catcher in the Rye" is about a narcissistic Sociopath, about an insecure person who refused to follow rules.

3) "Catcher in the Rye" inspired Fenn to write the TTotc.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210318_215853.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	266041
    (Fenn is concerned with his freedom being taken away because of something he did, something he got away with, funny, funny.)

Name:	20210318_212801.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	266042
    (Fenn praises "Catcher in the Rye" referencing other material as trash. Fenn then describes "hate" & a list.)

Name:	20210318_221606.jpg
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	266043
    (Fenn connects with Sociopaths. Is Fenn a Sociopath? Fenn did feel the need to share his story. What actually is Fenns story?)

Name:	20210318_222222.jpg
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	266044
    (Fenn questions what lies ahead with insecurity. Why make it stand out? What did Fenn do? What is his secret? When did this mindset begin?)

It's time to begin our journey.

***Fenns introduction introduces a person through a blind. Things are made to appear a certain way, but as we all know "things are not always as they appear."***

Originally posted by Josh Jordan View Post
    2) "Catcher in the Rye" is about a narcissistic Sociopath, about an insecure person who refused to follow rules.
    Oh my, this hurts so much... if you truly think so about HC this novel is written about you, but definitely not for you... I am sure HC would have loved to catch you before you jumped the cliff, but you were definitely too fast for him!

„It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
    G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

A blind?
      Like a duck blind... quack quack
      Hope your well, the big Colorado snowstorm mostly hit the east slope, so you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Jordan View Post
        1) Fenn introduces TTotc through Chapter 1 "Important Literature" describing his fascination with "Catcher in the Rye" & how Fenn felt it told his life story.

3) "Catcher in the Rye" inspired Fenn to write the TTotc.

Name:	20210318_215853.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	266041
        (Fenn is concerned with his freedom being taken away because of something he did, something he got away with, funny, funny.)

Name:	20210318_212801.jpg
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	266042
        (Fenn praises "Catcher in the Rye" referencing other material as trash. Fenn then describes "hate" & a list.)

Name:	20210318_221606.jpg
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	266043
        (Fenn connects with Sociopaths. Is Fenn a Sociopath? Fenn did feel the need to share his story. What actually is Fenns story?)

Name:	20210318_222222.jpg
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	266044
        (Fenn questions what lies ahead with insecurity. Why make it stand out? What did Fenn do? What is his secret? When did this mindset begin?)

It's time to begin our journey.

***Fenns introduction introduces a person through a blind. Things are made to appear a certain way, but as we all know "things are not always as they appear."***
        As Forrest started his journey while facing cancer, I'm sure he faced a tough road ahead. Upon recovery, I'll bet those tears of sadness turned to joy. Whether a Sociopath or not, I'm positive his happiness still extends to everyone here.

Comment

I have never read Catcher so I can't speak to it. The internet tell me it's about Daddy Issues. Some elements of TTOTC and the poem made me think about a movie that came out about 20 years ago that also dealt with grown men that had Daddy Issues. Can't talk about it though, that's the first rule.

I don't know what kind of labels I'd give to a guy like Forrest Fenn. There are so many that are fitting, good and bad. I think it's sad that he had to borrow from the stories of others when his own life was pretty spectacular, but that is the game he chose for his hunt.

I never knew him so I can't speculate on his particular psychosis and neurosis, but I have wondered if he was a sadist that took joy in the failures of searchers or if it just made him feel smart that he had a puzzle that people couldn't solve.

Oh yeah, and he's basically Rain Man, you ever listen to him rattle off numbers and data while telling his stories? Or his ability to allude to obscure plots of forgotten literature. Listening to his early interviews where he tells stories uninterrupted was really eye opening.

Comment

"Narcissistic sociopath" -- Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head. Could explain why we've had such a sh** ending !

Comment

One of the first things that struck me with the book was his disregard for the books by Hemingway & Fitzgerald. Yet he makes breadcrumb quotes of Fitzgerald and it isn't hard to draw parallels between the life of Forrest Fenn and Papa. Did young Forrest Fenn know Hemingway? The idea that young Forrest Fenn the fishing guide crossed paths with Ernest Hemingway between 1940 & 1950 would not be far fetched, but seasoned searchers already know this.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincePaco View Post
                One of the first things that struck me with the book was his disregard for the books by Hemingway & Fitzgerald. Yet he makes breadcrumb quotes of Fitzgerald and it isn't hard to draw parallels between the life of Forrest Fenn and Papa. Did young Forrest Fenn know Hemingway? The idea that young Forrest Fenn the fishing guide crossed paths with Ernest Hemingway between 1940 & 1950 would not be far fetched, but seasoned searchers already know this.
                Most definitely, Hemingway also spent time in Sun Valley. They said when he was going through electro shock therapy late in life, his heart was in Yellowstone.

Comment

Stitching together Forrest's connection with these people is difficult, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                    Stitching together Forrest's connection with these people is difficult, though.
                    For a poem with iseemingly nfinite solutions, Stitching the Hem is one of the strongest solutions a person could put together.

FWIW though, it may be in my Top 9 but it's not Numero Uno

Comment

Josh I personally can’t wait tell u see the truth better yet hear it

Comment

Iceberg theory and Trapping trappings

Comment

Forrest’s connection to lots of famous people, a should of, could of or would of to be exact. Making your own story based on one’s imagination is best. When and if it ever comes out your chances of being correct is 50%.
                          Theres that glass 1/2 full again.

Comment

If you went into Borders and found the shelf containing both Fitzgerald & Hemingway, there's a chance that you may have stumbled upon another of those old forgotten books that Fenn had an affinity for. This being a book that Fenn would have related to because he had much more in common than he did Holden Caulfield.

Comment

Originally posted by 1&Only1Trailblazer View Post
                              Forrest’s connection to lots of famous people, a should of, could of or would of to be exact. Making your own story based on one’s imagination is best. When and if it ever comes out your chances of being correct is 50%.
                              Theres that glass 1/2 full again.
                              "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" --Shy Guy Utuber used that trio for one of his vid. titles. Hmmm.........

Comment

Working...
                              X