Why did Forrest put his thumb up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Forrest put his thumb up?

Maybe someone’s already mentioned it, but I like to think that Forrest was practicing or imitating his casting technique in the cockpit. Imagine gripping the fly rod with your thumb pointing forward on the grip. As he’s flying he’s leisurely going throw the motion of casting his line...only to find that when he flings it forward his thumb covers up Philly. I don’t know if this means anything...I’m just using some imagination as to why he would’ve put his thumb up. It could and probably is a big nothing burger.

Maybe he realized he was fated to be a fly fishing guide to the galaxy.

Comment

I'd yell foul, but that wouldn't be quite right, so maybe we can just call it a double birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
        I'd yell foul, but that wouldn't be quite right, so maybe we can just call it a double birth.
        (That's just code for double bunk, right?) I call Top!

Comment

Maybe he want's us to read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by DanNun View Post
            Maybe someone’s already mentioned it, but I like to think that Forrest was practicing or imitating his casting technique in the cockpit. Imagine gripping the fly rod with your thumb pointing forward on the grip. As he’s flying he’s leisurely going throw the motion of casting his line...only to find that when he flings it forward his thumb covers up Philly. I don’t know if this means anything...I’m just using some imagination as to why he would’ve put his thumb up. It could and probably is a big nothing burger.
            Usually a thumb goes up when someone is measuring positively about a scene. IMO
            Last edited by Star Shadow; 03-18-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deja View Post
              Maybe he want's us to read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.
              He's just reminding us "Everything is inspired lunacy". The book ties into his "Ford" theme as well, and Jack did say the solve was based a close read of a text...

Comment

Originally posted by Deja View Post
                Just started reading "Unreasoning Mask" by Philip Jose Farmer

Doing some homework:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdnfOVT8DwY
                https://www.youtube.com/c/AdamCurtisDocumentary/videos

https://innovationzonefacts.com/
                Last edited by sally; 03-18-2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                  Darn...I was hoping to hit that one home. I guess I’ll turn back south and try again when I get warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by DanNun View Post

Darn...I was hoping to hit that one home. I guess I’ll turn back south and try again when I get warmer.

South, you say? Great! Guess that means I'll be the player sitting opposite and partnering North. Can we play Bridge now?

If so, that should make those celestials bodies happy!

Comment

Did he have a preoccupation with the size of his hands?

Comment

Y'all ever play the game "Where is thumpkin?"

Comment

Now was that his left thumb or right thumb? West or East?
                          Whats Pennsylvania known for?
                          Billy Joel sang about it. Some liked living in Allentown.

Comment

Forrest put his thumb up because the flight was boring, and he was trying to hitch a ride back to the party.

Comment

I said it once before but it was along time ago...so here goes....first all sorts of tingly things should have happened, if you were paying attention, when Forrest said he was alone in there and about at midnight...)) He puts his thumb up to gain perspective....it blots out all of Philadelphia....He marvels that a million people could disappear in such a simple way.
                              Forrest spent a long time in this chapter talking about how each of our lives affect another....and that if we do not have a positive impact on others life then we have wasted our own.......
                              I honestly believe this was a central message of the whole book and very important to Forrest...I have thought about it a great deal as well.

NOW....what does the thumb mean?? the thumb and its search for perspective represents The Big Picture !! the stereotype move of great artists was to use the thumb, and paintbrush, and hold it up to gain perspective of sizes and angle when they are painting very large picture...
                              So Forrest is sharing the big picture on this page......there is a massive clue hidden in these pages....that without it you simply will not solve the poem.......

Comment

Working...
                              X