No announcement yet.

Alexandra Fechin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RussDana I love reading your stories, thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

Russ, I enjoy reading your stories about Forrest. Thanks for sharing the photos. Would you mind sharing the approximate date of the bookshelf pictures?

I’m guessing it was sometime in 2019 or very early 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Mootmann View Post
        RussDana
        Hi Russ,
        Thank you for sharing another “time with Forrest” story! Sounds like you will be holding on to that book that meant so much to Forrest. Do you happen to know what the meaning of the blue dots on the shelves near the yellow dots? There was also a blue dot on the back of the frame of Gaspard Memories by Eric Sloane. Do you think the blue dots on the book shelves and on back of that wood frame could be related or have the same meaning? Andy
        Note: Saber tooth tiger skull on top book shelf on first photo…
        Hi Andy,
        I don't know the meaning of the blue dots. I have looked at which books have them in the photo and really can't figure out anything common among the books based on what I know.

Russ

Comment

JHSharp
          Hi Sharp,
          JHS Patrons blue binder, top book shelf, first photo of Russ's post!!
          Note: Next shelve down, binder belonging to Marvin Fenn!
          Forrest once told me that he knew (when he was running his gallery) where all 400 Fechin paintings were located. Sharp had produced 10,000 paintings and drawings. So I would tend to think that binder contained a list of who Forrest knew had Sharp material.

Russ

Comment

JHSharp
            Hi Sharp,
            JHS Patrons blue binder, top book shelf, first photo of Russ's post!!
            Note: Next shelve down, binder belonging to Marvin Fenn!
            I should have mentioned that I have read two of Marvin's handwritten journals, but I did not read the one shown in this photograph.
            Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Trovesearcher1 View Post
              Thanks for the story Russ! The Virginian stands out for me.
              I always liked the Virginian as well. I don't remember looking through the copy in this photo - probably because the binding looked new so I thought it was a recent copy, but then that wouldn't explain why it was nestled in with his expensive books.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by 1&Only1Trailblazer View Post
                I really have to thank Forrest Fenn and Doug Preston. I never read much and because of the chase, I’ve read 30 books or so. Started my own library as well.

I left out Lincoln Child, sorry Lincoln your in my #1 category as well. I just ordered “Deep Storm” to add to my collection.
                I ended up reading a lot of topics that I wouldn't normally have read because of Forrest - especially books related to Clovis and early Native American cultures.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot View Post
                  Russ, I enjoy reading your stories about Forrest. Thanks for sharing the photos. Would you mind sharing the approximate date of the bookshelf pictures?

I’m guessing it was sometime in 2019 or very early 2020.
                  Thanks! I believe the photo is either March or April 2019. So almost two years old - that seems like a life time ago with everything that has happened since.
                  Russ

Comment

Thanks Russ,
                    Great angle and well worth the read.

Comment

I really enjoy your perspective of the friendship, thanks for writing these. I can’t remember if you got a peek into his vault or if I’m confusing stories, but do you know if he kept any books there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
                        I really enjoy your perspective of the friendship, thanks for writing these. I can’t remember if you got a peek into his vault or if I’m confusing stories, but do you know if he kept any books there?
                        Thanks! I was in his vault a number of times and didn't see any books. He still kept Sitting Bull's peace pipe in there, but for the most part I think he was using it as general storage - his beading kit was in there, first arrowhead, the Running Man bark, some favorite Clovis points, stuff like that.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by RussDana View Post
                          Hi Everyone,

This photo is a slightly different angle of Forrest’s main bookshelves. I never looked at the books on the very top shelf – maybe that was a mistake on my part, but it would have required something to stand on to reach them easily and I always figured (much like the San Lazaro lab) that Forrest would have the really interesting books within reach. So I ignored the top shelf. The next shelf down, starts with his Evetts Haley collection on the left and then transitions into general western books, some of those Forrest talked about in the book interview he did with Dal and others he did blog posts on.
                          Have you noticed the yellow dots under some of the books? Kelly documented Forrest’s more important books (ones he thought of as part of his permanent collection) and those ended up being marked with little round stickers. When I asked him to explain the dots, I was holding a couple of books that I had just bought (and happened to have been in spots that had a dot) and he looked down at the books in my hands and said, “I guess that system doesn’t work now.”

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4500.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	254668

The next row down is all fore edge painted books. I thought about buying one of these – mostly because they were of such interest to Forrest but ended up not doing that. Pricing them is complicated because you are buying a painting in addition to a book. So there are a lot of components to the value: rarity of the book, its condition, who did the painting, quality of the painting, etc.. Forrest knew what he paid for each of the books but that didn’t necessarily reflect its current value. And Forrest explained that people are starting to counterfeit these books – they buy an old book and then add the painting themselves. I thought that was interesting!

If you follow that shelf along, you come to this book that I want to talk about (circled in orange).

Name:	DSCN4500 -  V2.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	254669

The title says, “March of the Past.” And it is pretty beat up. The above picture shows how sun-faded the spine has become (it should be royal blue and has water damage no less) and the cover (below) has a faint cat paw print on it and several tears.

Name:	IMG_2797.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	957.8 KB
ID:	254670
                          We had been going through some of Forrest’s Fechin books when he said, “Let me show you something.” My ears always perked up when he used that particular phrase. He reached over and pulled the book I show above from the shelf.
                          “This is Alexandra’s personal copy that she gave to me … I used to call her Tinka.”
                          I always thought of Forrest’s book collection as having three themes. A large section of classic, famous Western books – I didn’t buy many of these as there are lots of sources where they can be purchased. The books he wrote and had specially bound – he was clearly proud of these books and I have a few of them - the covers and items that Forrest tucked into them made them special. And, lastly, there were books that had been given to Forrest by his friends. THESE were the books that fascinated me.

Here is the inside cover of March of the Past. It is an interesting mix of time. The newspaper clipping is old and pasted in soon after he got the book. But the tiny book plate is something that he started to use only in later years.

Name:	IMG_2798.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	254671

And here is Alexandra’s signature.

Name:	IMG_2799.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	881.2 KB
ID:	254672

I always read the books I got from Forrest appreciating that it was the same copy that he had also held, and I would send him quotes from the book. This is one of the quotes I sent him from March of the Past:
                          "How strange is life! Thunder and lightning - brief moments of sunshine through torn clouds and then the rainbow arches over the misty plains. Hence, the long chain of monotonous days becomes vivified by the echoes of thunders and sweetened by the pastoral melody. In the midst of it all birds pursue flies, cats stalk birds, dogs chase cats, man hunting them all ..."

When I left that day, Forrest pointed at March of the Past and said, “You are leaving with a piece of my soul.” Beat-up, with water damage and an old newspaper clipping glued into it, a purist book collector probably wouldn’t even look at, but it is possibly the most meaningful copy of the book out there.

Russ
                          Russ: Do you know if Forrest had a copy of A Message to Garcia. I think there was even a military issue. Thanks!!! The Hillbealy

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbealy View Post

Russ: Do you know if Forrest had a copy of A Message to Garcia. I think there was even a military issue. Thanks!!! The Hillbealy
                            Hi - I can see why you ask that question - it does have several parallels to things he has written. I never saw a copy, but Forrest had books in other rooms and I spent most of my time with the books in the study. The study held his expensive/Western/research books. For example, I never saw his copy of Flywater anywhere in the study. In fact, now that I think about it, I didn't see any books about fishing in the study - a person who loved fishing as much as Forrest would have had quite a few books on fishing - I am not sure where those would have been.
                            Russ

Comment

Originally posted by RussDana View Post

Hi - I can see why you ask that question - it does have several parallels to things he has written. I never saw a copy, but Forrest had books in other rooms and I spent most of my time with the books in the study. The study held his expensive/Western/research books. For example, I never saw his copy of Flywater anywhere in the study. In fact, now that I think about it, I didn't see any books about fishing in the study - a person who loved fishing as much as Forrest would have had quite a few books on fishing - I am not sure where those would have been.
                              Russ
                              Thanks for getting back with me Russ, that makes complete sense. Your stories help brake up the cold winter. Thanks Again !!! The Hillbealy

Comment

Hi Russ, any Louis L'Amour western books?

Comment

Working...
                                X