Firehole Bears it All! -Big Picture-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firehole Bears it All! -Big Picture-

I was asked to consolidate this into one thread, so here it is; the 'big picture' at Firehole Canyon Dr.

Late last year my son and I were using Google Earth in a VR headset to search Yellowstone for possible areas in the search for f's spot. We were going off of stories from himself as a child exploring the NW area, I had read that many had searched the Firehole canyon area, so that's where we started.

Here is a map of the thermals in Yellowstone with an arrow where the waters are warm for some ways as they travel north down the canyon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12364.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	246451

We began our search here on Google Earth and traveled north through the canyon as f would have been familiar with.

Now, once we got down to the end of Firehole Canyon Dr we stood back and was looking at National Park Mountain, and there it was; plain as day!

Here is a direct link that will take you right to the side of the mountain on Google Earth so you can see it for yourself: https://earth.google.com/web/@44.635...9.44112638t,0r

Why did f say, "Show the poem to a child."?

Why did he say, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."?

Why did he tell us that the tiles in his shower looked like animals and people in scrapbook 116? "When mother nature made the tiles in my shower she probably giggled, knowing I’d be embarrassed. Everywhere I look I see another face staring at me so I don’t dare shower without my jeans on. I never have any privacy anymore. f."

Here is an image taken from Google Earth: hoB

Name:	20200608_115945.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	246452

Here it is outlined:

Name:	Outlined Bear.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	246453

And here is an image standing right under it:

Name:	45678.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	246454

You can't however get the best view of the entire image until you get up onto the hills opposite the image, where I'll show you next...

Now, Firehole Canyon Dr is a one-way road, but as soon as you turn onto it, the bear is right at the very first 'put in'.

Cont...

Put in here:

Name:	1.1.png
Views:	364
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	246459

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	246460

Here is a top-down view of the spot:

Name:	2.png
Views:	343
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	246461

Now right at that 'put in', there is a stream coming down from the hill.

'Waters High'

Name:	20200602_090114.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	246462

Name:	3.1.png
Views:	345
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	246463

Cont...

Comment

Now, guess where that stream comes from... It comes from a rock directly under an Indian prayer tree!

Name:	20200604_124435.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	246466

It should be noted at this time as an important WARNING that this tree is inside an 8-foot fence with no way in, except to scale it, and I highly recommend that not be done! It's certainly 'the most secure spot' in Yellowstone! And to make it clear, this fence is very new, and there was evidence everywhere of a barbed-wire fence previous to it that would have been quite easier to get through...

Name:	3.2.png
Views:	348
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	246467

Name:	20200602_144354.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	246468

By the way, did you notice the large F in the trees? Interesting side note...

Name:	3.3.png
Views:	345
Size:	4.43 MB
ID:	246469

Evidence of some old campfire. I wiped the needles out of the center, but other than that this is how I found it.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	246470

Cont...

Comment

The first view you get of the bear (up hill) through the trees is from this campfire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_082744.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	246472

Now it was at this point I decided to walk on a little further and that's when I saw it, the most beautiful sight you will see. All of sudden you come to a cliff and the trees open up to a view spanning miles and miles! I stood there in aww for a while... A picture just doesn't capture the panoramic scope of the spot, but I took a few anyway...

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.4.png Views:	0 Size:	4.37 MB ID:	246473

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	246474

Remember this story? "Dr. Coulter was fishing one day on the bank of a stream when he felt a slap on the shoulder and turned expecting to see one of his companions, but there was a large, black bear. Coulter plunged in and swam across the stream, then looking around saw that the bear had not followed, but was back there grinning at him." This is exactly the way f thought and lived. He stood there and fished for hours, and would have seen this bear. I was told that this area was well known by local Indians and that the water that comes out of that hill is clean and clear to drink. (I can't disclose who I discussed that with, unfortunately.)

This is no ordinary spot, it's got f's name written all over it...

End...

Comment

IMO you’re in the right general area. I think it was either somewhere along the Madison or near the north end of the Firehole. Forrest probably discovered the spot before he was old enough to drive a car. That means it had to be within biking distance of West Yellowstone. In “river bathing is best” (Ch5 of TFTW) Forrest talks about riding his bike 20 miles from town to a bathing spot near the Firehole River. Maybe he was describing your location. If nothing else, it puts your location within biking distance of West Yellowstone.

Since I’ve never been there I’ll take your word that the view is stunning. Did you ever tell Forrest that you thought the bear image on the rock was the hoB? Based on what Jack has said, he may have been the only person to tell Forrest the correct hoB. Jack also said he figured out hoB before going BOTG.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post
            Since I’ve never been there I’ll take your word that the view is stunning. Did you ever tell Forrest that you thought the bear image on the rock was the hoB? Based on what Jack has said, he may have been the only person to tell Forrest the correct hoB. Jack also said he figured out hoB before going BOTG.
            I spoke to f on June 4th while botg about a concern I had dealing with the blaze being damaged, and shared the entire solve with him at that time. He said, "Sorry, I can't help you sir. I'm sure you understand."

Then it was announced two days later to have been found.
            Last edited by GoldenFrog; 01-13-2021, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Have you said what you're thinking was the damaged blaze? I was looking around in the area and there seems to be a blueish sphere shaped light in the same vicinity of what could be a tarp on the ground at the base of a tree...looks to be inside the fence you mention. In another spot of the same area looks to be some table or mechanical looking thing. Very intriguing.

Comment

Also, I'm not sure if this has ever been thought of, but this all reminds me of one of the greatest children's books ever published. It's from 1967 and Forrest could have easily known Eric Carle in the art world. The book is a classic and is literally about colors. BROWN bear, PURPLE cat, GREEN frog......GOLD fish
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenFrog View Post

I spoke to f on June 4th while botg about a concern I had dealing with the blaze being damaged, and shared the entire solve with him at that time. He said, "Sorry, I can't help you sir. I'm sure you understand."

Then it was announced two days later to have been found.
                  That does seem very strange. Did you ever encounter other searchers? If you were in the same area as Jack then chances are you would have seen him on June 4. I'd like to know your blaze but understand if you don't want to reveal that information.
                  Last edited by Redneck Girl; 01-13-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Name:	542550A3-7F40-4625-B89D-FC72F099414A.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	906.8 KB
ID:	246651 I believe you are in the right area since I also saw the monkey face(grab every banana) in the rock spires that are around the bend to the left of that first put in. It has been damaged. The left side of it’s face has been broken probably by falling rocks. But you can clearly see the right side of the face. I don’t think it is THE blaze but probably a directional blaze telling us that we are in the right area. Only a searcher would recognize it as such. Click image for larger version

Name:	325B125B-61C4-4530-ACD2-82C392D2000C.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	567.7 KB
ID:	246650

Comment

Name:	1FB8CCC6-0616-4EC9-8950-EED17440D21C.png
Views:	240
Size:	5.27 MB
ID:	246653 This was my monkey

Comment

Originally posted by CardanoBlockchain View Post
                        Have you said what you're thinking was the damaged blaze?
                        I have not, I have my reasons... To be honest, after June 6th I haven't been sure what to think about this whole thing.

I was looking around in the area and there seems to be a blueish sphere shaped light in the same vicinity of what could be a tarp on the ground at the base of a tree...looks to be inside the fence you mention.
                        That blue thing is a cover for a well that was dug. It appears they dug down to pipe that water toward the ranger cabin nearby...

In another spot of the same area looks to be some table or mechanical looking thing. Very intriguing.
                        I'm not sure what you're referencing here, but if you pinpoint it on a map I can tell you what it is...

Comment

Also, I'm not sure if this has ever been thought of, but this all reminds me of one of the greatest children's books ever published. It's from 1967 and Forrest could have easily known Eric Carle in the art world. The book is a classic and is literally about colors. BROWN bear, PURPLE cat, GREEN frog......GOLD fish
                          As we all know, this is exactly who f was. This is how he thought and lived. He was a poet and an artist. And that's what he saw in nature around him...

Comment

That does seem very strange. Did you ever encounter other searchers? If you were in the same area as Jack then chances are you would have seen him on June 4.
                            Well, we don't know what day exactly Jack first searched on that trip; it could very well have been the 5th. (Unless I've missed that info somewhere.) But yea, I did see other searchers.

On the 4th and my last day there, it was pouring rain and I went out anyway. I wasn't exactly sure if what I was seeing was the blaze or not and so I had made a number of changes to that specific area, such as turning over a few flat rocks I saw on the ground. Unfortunately due to the weather I had to leave before I could finish searching that spot as much as I would have liked. Did my actions tip off someone else standing in that exact same spot the next day? I don't know... I haven't known what to think since. All I know is I've been sure about that spot from day one...

I'd like to know your blaze but understand if you don't want to reveal that information.
                            To be honest, how can I say it is the blaze without the chest in hand? Whatever I thought the blaze was is irrelevant at this moment, as far as it's concerned. Is it a coincidence I asked f about the blaze being damaged on June 4th, two days before it was announced found? I don't know... I don't know what to think.

He told me, "Sorry I can't help you, sir. I'm sure you understand." Did he know I understood the poem? Idk...

Comment

Originally posted by Kidd View Post
                              I believe you are in the right area
                              The only place to park on Firehole in this area is that first put it. And, the water is very fast-moving. There is a sandbar with easy access for fly fisherman close to the east bank; but, going any further out into the water I believe would be impossible.. Just fyi...

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.5.png Views:	0 Size:	4.40 MB ID:	246693

Comment

Working...
                              X