What I really miss about the Chase..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

Just so you know, there were a few Scrapbooks that never got published. So far I've seen two of them. I'll encourage the author/caretaker to share those.
    Thanks! That would be awesome. Were they written recently for publication, or written longer ago and just not published?

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

Just so you know, there were a few Scrapbooks that never got published. So far I've seen two of them. I'll encourage the author/caretaker to share those.
      Please do that will be very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by willynilly
        Is his book about gossip going to come out?
        I'm interested in passing on that I heard from someone else, who was shocked to hear from their friend, that it's juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickman View Post

Thanks! That would be awesome. Were they written recently for publication, or written longer ago and just not published?
          I don't know when Forrest wrote them, nor why he chose not to publish them. I had a suspicion about who provided the text of the SB to the person who in turn forwarded it to me last year, and some minimal Googling confirmed that. Since she (Becky from WV) posted it publicly, I feel it's okay to do so here. Here's the first unpublished SB (unfortunately, I don't have the accompanying photos):

Chains in the Church

Many years ago an old Spanish gentleman by the name of Adavadio arrived with something he wanted me to have, he said. His handsomeness had long since faded under the strain of time and the hardship of toil, and left in its place, a face full of character and wrinkled charm. I wish I could show his picture here to prove this description. I liked him instantly, and enjoyed the way he spoke English words with the rolling style of his native Spanish.

(Photo of chainmail)

Adavadio placed a box on my foyer table, and with a hand gesture, invited me look inside. Enclosed, in a crumble of brown newsprint, was a section of 17th century Spanish chainmail armour of interlocking iron rings. It measured 16 inches by 21, and weighed 3.5 pounds. I guessed it was a fragment of a Cota de Mala, one of 55 that Coronado’s Conquistadors were known to have worn into the New World in 1540.

I was pleased, and became even more so when Adavadio handed me an ink-written note that said:

(Photo of the note)

Found several feet under the ground near the walls at the ruins of the old church of the Pecos Indian Pueblo some fifty or sixty years ago by one of the relatives of the late Don Manuel Varela of Pecos town and donated to me on July 22, 1922, by Dona Marie Varela de Silva, daughter of said Don Manuel Varela and widow of the late Flavio Silva.

Signed,
          Benjamin M. Read
          Santa Fe, NM
          July 22, 1922

I have a few hundred links of similar style chain mail that we found at San Lazaro Pueblo. In my book, The Secrets of San Lazaro Pueblo, I said that, in my opinion, after about 1600, the Spaniards were living in the same buildings, perhaps in the same rooms, with the Anasazi Indians. That was historic at the time. The proof is because there is so much Spanish material out there.

(Photo of excavated ruins)

Until Coronado arrived in 1540, there was no metal to be found. But after that time, there was just a profusion of hundreds & hundreds, thousands of pieces of metal ... needles, awls, horseshoes, strike-a-lights, lots of nails, jangles, and many religious items. Some were found with metal detectors, but a lot of pieces were picked up lying on the surface.

(Photo of metal items)

The Spanish explorers came here looking for gold. However, I think they brought more gold with them than they found. The Indians revolted against the Spaniards in 1680, but so much of the material recovered proves a close association between their two cultures.

Comment

That's interesting. Adavadio sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for sharing Zapster. Now if I'd have just had this one months ago, I'd have beaten Jack to the treasure! There have to be some GPS coordinates or nonsense anagrams in there that would have led me to the hidey spot, I'm sure of it!

Comment

Wow.. came back to check on this thread.. this is a good thread and I'm glad to see all of these responses, makes me feel better.. Chase or no I will still be packing it up and heading out on highway 80 to Yellowstone, and not in as much of a hurry to get there so more time to explore around contact and Salmon Falls battel mountain and abandoned homesteads along the Oregon trail, ghost towns.. Just so much western history between point A and point B. The more you dig into the political climate at the time of the creation of Yellowstone vs the archeological work being done in the park now that's comparing the two truths what we were told about Native American history in the park vs what actually happened? I was reading a Smithsonian article that popped up in my news feed, I had no idea that they had found Hopewell culture artifacts in Yellowstone as well as Yellowstone obsidian in Ohio.. they also found wrought copper rams horns in Hopewell culture mounds, where there are no bighorn sheep. it's a given that Yellowstone obsidian was traded east all the way to the Atlantic coast as it's been found across the united states but to think that the Hopewell Indians made the trip to Yellowstone itself, they have found campsites all around Yellowstone Lake and some of these show strong evidence of Hopewell culture being present in the park, not to mention all of the other tribes that gathered resources there in the warm months and seemingly cooperated with other tribes that usually did not play well together. Rumour had it that Native Americans were afraid of the the thermal features because of superstitions, not true as there are campsites all around them but the government at the time used that to discredit claims by natives that the area was sacred to them., and at all most every location that we visited during our time at the park we found chert and obsidian flakes, points and stone tools as well as cairn burials.. I spent time on Digs with my older brother, stooped over doing surveys looking for lithics and tools, we found teepee rings etc, the Lamar valley is full of them. one of my big obsessions out there was anything Osbourne Russel and pre European Native American.

Plus... lol, Yellowstone has a wealth of fossils and GOLD. there's just so much COOL packed in between the California / Nevada border and Wyoming that I have to make that trip at least three more times. my buddie and I really dug into Cooke City and Lamar Valley and the Buffalo ranch.. round prairie was Osbourne Russel's secluded valley or the section between Icebox Canyon and Soda Butte if I'm calling it by the wrong name. His ties to other locations in the valley one of the more famous ones being the Lamar Buffalo Ranch. it took us forever to find out that before it was the ranch it was a homestead owned by one Samuel Jackson and before that it was home to Shoshone Sheep eaters and that was about the time that Russel was there.. we could never find the definitive tie between Samuel Jackson and Osbourne Russel But Russel had a brother named Samuel (Russel) Druids Peak got its name from a monolithic stone circle on one of its slopes, we got photos of it, And the buffalo jump above the ranch and the fact that two main indian trails (that they have found Clovis era points along) converge at that spot and all of the Indian artifacts laying around., the cabin from the soldiers outpost at Soda Butte being moved there in the thirty's and the remainder of the cabins coming from Fishing Bridge area... LOL. I'm not saying that was Forrest special place.. but there is so much at that location and its surrounds that I could make a couple more trips there to explore it for sure.

The Osbourne Russel thing and Native American history of the park would have been something I would have liked to sit down and talk over with Forrest for a couple of hours.. the line "as I have gone alone in there" just made me think of someone going into seclusion or Osbourne Russel's Secluded Valley. good topic for a post Chase conversation with Forrest. If none of you have been to that part of the park I would like to recommend it.. Cooke City area and the Bear tooth Highway, next trip is going to be the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Park..

Again good thread.. The Smithsonian has some good reads on park prehistory for those interested.. what I have never been able to find other than one passing reference is information on the almost entirely obliterated Medicine wheel between Tower Junction and the bridge heading into the Lamar River Canyon. before the army and other park inhabitants pilfered it for building materials (and political reasons) it was as big or bigger than the other and more famous medicine wheel in Wyoming. the only thing left now are the stones that were to large to easily carry away.. to bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TCD0tWD.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	855.5 KB
ID:	243989
              Click image for larger version

Name:	aUkFpOG.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	243990

Last edited by 1keyword; 01-07-2021, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JHSharp View Post
                Yes. When each scrapbook would come out, I felt like a 6-year old around Christmas, when you’d hear rumors of Santa being close by. I’d hear sleigh bells in every breeze and see Rudolph’s nose in every plane and radio tower.

There’s something that we lose as we become “responsible” adults. I don’t know if it’s pixie dust, imagination, or star-sprinkles, but I I think Forrest might have wanted us all to try to find it again.
                Yeah, new scrapbooks were always fun to read! Then one could try and dissect the new scrapbook to see if the words or its meanings could apply (or be forced to apply) to the searcher’s own quest! Like a kid in a sweet shop!...pick and choose what you like. The scrapbooks must have been fun for Forrest, as he produced so many. Yes, maybe Forrest wanted us to get back in the mountains sometime to feel the thrill again…the anticipation that you know maybe something is out there. Andy
                Don’t whine because the Chase is over, but smile because it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Old blue View Post

Me two
                  TWO = TOO = CLUE for u's ALL.
                  Ponder for the day: 'BLUE' as in shirt color or 'LEWD' (from MILDEW anag ' I'm lewd') or perhaps both !
                  I don't know, its 'A puzzle to die for' , isn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by UNtitleD Brave View Post

TWO = TOO = CLUE for u's ALL.
                    Ponder for the day: 'BLUE' as in shirt color or 'LEWD' (from MILDEW anag ' I'm lewd') or perhaps both !
                    I don't know, its 'A puzzle to die for' , isn't it ?
                    I don’t know, could be one to kill for though

Comment

I don’t know, could be one to kill for though
                      Is that a threat, Comanche ?

Comment

Originally posted by UNtitleD Brave View Post

Is that a threat, Comanche ?
                        I did not mean for that to sound like a threat
                        it most definitely was not intended that way

Comment

I did not mean for that to sound like a threat
                          it most definitely was not intended that way
                          Thanks, I'll stand down the phone with the emergency number then.

Comment

I had some more time to think. There are a few things in life that made an impression on me. One was hearing the full roar of an adult lion at close range at a zoo. The ground shook. I felt insignificant. It was awe-inspiring.

As to the Chase? The stars in that place. I’ve never seen so many, so bright.

They reminded me of how small we are; not unimportant, but rather like single turning leaves on a tree, temporary but eternal, indistinguishable yet original. Fall, we float on a river of time.

The universe was brighter there. As big as it was, when I came back home, I couldn’t see it for the streetlights.

I think Eric Sloane said something once- that only in silence could he hear the gods whisper?

I think he had it figured. I thought, only in that dark could I see the big picture.

Comment

I miss living on the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot View Post
                                I miss living on the edge.
                                Well you are missing out because there's an edge to live on now and forever. And why are we discussing what we missed about the Chase when the game is still clearly on? It's like talking about how much we miss Jack when he's on the other side of the room. Regardless of what FF and Jack have said, in my book, the Chase is on until there's a public disclosure of the real why, who's, when's and where's.

Comment

Working...
                                X