Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How deep is a hole?"

Nine Mile.

That's maybe one of the things that Jack caught. Forrest was dangling that one in front of us and everyone just thought it was funny or something.

In the photo spread, you see his father standing on the bank at Nine Mile Hole. "Father on the Banco."

If this is the slip-up, coupled with the one where he mentioned dying at his favorite.... and then faded off, the answer is fishing hole. This would have allowed someone to bypass most of the clues. Two slip ups and it was enough. With those two slip ups, one could arrive on the banks of the Madison River at potentially home of Brown and not need anything but to cross the Madison right there and begin looking around for the blaze.

I have a strong feeling that this is how Jack did it. He answered the riddle "How deep is a hole?" And he realized that "Father on the Banco" was a call back to the image of his father on the bank in the Nine Mile Hole photograph.

I have no idea what wwwh might have been and I doubt Jack does either. A thermal area perhaps that we don't really need after all, if you can slide sideways into the correct location to begin searching an area with the same degree of confidence that Jack must have had after answering the riddle: "How deep is a hole?"

The funny thing is that Forrest phrased that question as something people should ask him "You might as well ask me how deep is a hole?" And instead of asking him what he told them to ask him.... everyone just laughed. That's probably the one question that would have broken it wide open if someone had actually asked him and if he had answered the question he told us to ask him.

I'm pretty sure that home of Brown was meant to make us think of capitalized colors: Yellowstone for instance. If you know it's in Yellowstone, and you know that Yellow is capitalized, it then follows that Brown could refer to Brownstone as Yellow refers to Yellowstone. I'm not sure about this, but in a riddle sort of way it does make some sense. What other color is capitalized and to what does it refer. Yellow and stone. So Brown could also refer to a Brown stone.

Kind of makes me wonder....

Soooo many people looked around 9 mile hole, and have looked there, ever since the TC was hidden. Dozens, possibly hundreds. One of the most popular places to search, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady V View Post
      Soooo many people looked around 9 mile hole, and have looked there, ever since the TC was hidden. Dozens, possibly hundreds. One of the most popular places to search, I reckon.
      And yet the finder reports that the blaze was damaged and he spent 25 days searching his area. This could explain it. Who on earth would think you'd need 25 days on site? It contradicts everything Forrest told us about walking to it with confidence and nothing being by accident. If the blaze was indeed damaged beyond recognition, it explains why Jack knew he was in the right spot and came within six feet of it in his first botg effort but missed it because the blaze was damaged beyond recognition. He was still looking for whatever he thought the blaze was (he says the book tells you what it is), but then had to reconfigure to determine it was broken and damaged and this helped him figure it out.

So.... strange.

Comment

How large is the rabbit?

Comment

Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post
          Nine Mile.

That's maybe one of the things that Jack caught. Forrest was dangling that one in front of us and everyone just thought it was funny or something.

In the photo spread, you see his father standing on the bank at Nine Mile Hole. "Father on the Banco."

If this is the slip-up, coupled with the one where he mentioned dying at his favorite.... and then faded off, the answer is fishing hole. This would have allowed someone to bypass most of the clues. Two slip ups and it was enough. With those two slip ups, one could arrive on the banks of the Madison River at potentially home of Brown and not need anything but to cross the Madison right there and begin looking around for the blaze.

I have a strong feeling that this is how Jack did it. He answered the riddle "How deep is a hole?" And he realized that "Father on the Banco" was a call back to the image of his father on the bank in the Nine Mile Hole photograph.

I have no idea what wwwh might have been and I doubt Jack does either. A thermal area perhaps that we don't really need after all, if you can slide sideways into the correct location to begin searching an area with the same degree of confidence that Jack must have had after answering the riddle: "How deep is a hole?"

The funny thing is that Forrest phrased that question as something people should ask him "You might as well ask me how deep is a hole?" And instead of asking him what he told them to ask him.... everyone just laughed. That's probably the one question that would have broken it wide open if someone had actually asked him and if he had answered the question he told us to ask him.

I'm pretty sure that home of Brown was meant to make us think of capitalized colors: Yellowstone for instance. If you know it's in Yellowstone, and you know that Yellow is capitalized, it then follows that Brown could refer to Brownstone as Yellow refers to Yellowstone. I'm not sure about this, but in a riddle sort of way it does make some sense. What other color is capitalized and to what does it refer. Yellow and stone. So Brown could also refer to a Brown stone.

Kind of makes me wonder....
          I think you have more of the poem's meaning(s) figured out than most other folks do. When you say things like "slide sideways", this indicates to me that you are onto something. And by the way, you
          probably know as well as I, that the definition of "deep" isn't very narrowly specific and well-defined. And some holes are of variable depth, don'tcha know. Thank you for your posting(s).

Comment

Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post

And yet the finder reports that the blaze was damaged and he spent 25 days searching his area. This could explain it. Who on earth would think you'd need 25 days on site? It contradicts everything Forrest told us about walking to it with confidence and nothing being by accident. If the blaze was indeed damaged beyond recognition, it explains why Jack knew he was in the right spot and came within six feet of it in his first botg effort but missed it because the blaze was damaged beyond recognition. He was still looking for whatever he thought the blaze was (he says the book tells you what it is), but then had to reconfigure to determine it was broken and damaged and this helped him figure it out.

So.... strange.
            I never took "Jack" seriously, and am not about to.

Comment

that area was burned to a crisp in 1988
              I doubt he was planning to die a bag of charcoal briquettes

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post
                I know that and you know that and others know that. The question is: Was Forrest serious when he said he knew exactly where and would make it work and there was never a second option (paraphrasing here)? If this is true. and if Forrest was in touch with time and fire recovery differently than some or most of us, it negates the burnt out concern of the time period. After all, it burned in 1988, but it showed not so many signs of burn 21 or 22 years later when he claims to have hid the chest. He didn't actually go out and die with it, so that avenue of thought does sort of become moot, if there's two decades between idea of hiding it and actually hiding it.

I do agree that it's problematic. I just slightly, moderately, and without much conviction think it matters "not much" what a site looked like at the conception of idea vs two decades+ later when it was actually or allegedly hidden. There are some timelines that simply don't make sense, and one is when it was actually hidden. Hell, as late as Nov 2019 he was contradicting himself and saying it didn't matter if he wrote the poem first or hid the treasure first.

"The hell you say, Forrest?"

It matters because he said so many things about writing the poem and how long it took him, plus he had to hide hints in the book, so the idea that he hid it in 2009 and threw it all together is beyond disturbingly strange to me. Who knows? Not me, but things got squirrelified at the end of this. Squirrelified badly.

It's so strange to think that Forrest made decisions that would result in this ending. It could have ended so many other ways, and yet here we are with this current ending... and it sucks a lot.

Comment

IMO....the only reason that I give Jack any credit at all is due to his statement that the blaze is damaged......
                  part of the problem in finding the chest is from the last clues being so damn HUGE.....and far apart.
                  Imagine you are standing at a very large "waters high"......pretend it is a small size mountain lake about 400 yards X 400 yards now look across the valley to the blaze on the side of a mountain.....the blaze is almost as big.......the mountain is over 1/2 mile away...
                  Congrats....You found the blaze.....Now look quickly down..))
                  As long as you understood what the blaze was and where it "was".....the fact that it is damaged doesnt really hurt you.
                  You have a MASSIVE search area that could take an enormous amount of time to sort thru...especially if Forrest left you lots of bogus hints and a "fake blaze"..... A fake blaze can be just that...something that stands out (definition of a blaze) but not the blaze in the poem...
                  IF you read this far you probably are thinking.....crazy talk etc... That is because you might not understand what Forrest talked about when he said ....The Big Picture......The Big Picture guarantees that you will not find the chest quickly....
                  Last edited by NadiyaM; 12-29-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

There's some potential here June but, the Madison is not a fast moving stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary_Galloway View Post
                      I think he had the treasure plan before he got sick, and the fire coincided with his treatment/ recovery. Maybe he even considered the fires a sacrificial trade off enabling him to survive. More than likely he went to Yellowstone (or wherever you think it was) to survey the damage once he was well enough to travel. His spot would’ve still been there (even if burnt), and knowing the average growth rate after a fire, knew it would only be time before it became ‘wooded’ again. At this point, he might’ve thought through magical thinking that his spot had saved him, and he now had a different relationship with it, and a different responsibility towards it. He would’ve given thanks while surveying the graveyard of tree stumps.
                      Some trees actually need fire to open the seeds and begin to grow.

Comment

I've always been more interested in the last line of that story, about burning the mortgage being like a religious experience. Never could fit that concept into my solve though.

Comment

maybe more than just the one father on the banco depending on the reading

Comment

The perpetrator will continue to dig the hole as long as observers are present. It's stupidity at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by JHSharp View Post
                              maybe more than just the one father on the banco depending on the reading
                              That's one high-stake game! Especially when going in by one's self!

By chance, is there a palm tree included?

Comment

Working...
                              X