Clue on the TFTW map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clue on the TFTW map?

Has anyone found the clue on the map of Wyoming? Forrest himself said there was a clue. It’s been over half a year and we know the state, but how do we not see the hint on the map?

Where is the clue on the map?

Grab your TFTW map and help us find the clue!

Comment

Comment

I thought that was just the cropping of the Rockies to exclude Canada. There was this quote floating around, but not sure of its origin.

"There is a major clue in the book but I don’t think it will help you find the treasure chest. I will tell you what the clue is. In the back of my book there is a map, and I have said in the that the treasure chest is hidden in the rocky mountain… the map stops at Canada, the Rockies keep going up there but I said the treasure is in the Rocky Mountains which would include Canada, but when this book was printed I didn’t realize that Benchmark Maps stopped at the Canadian border but I don’t think that is going to help you much."

Comment

The hints in TFTW are in his dedication and preface. A huge one is in the preface. He spells it out in an interview.

Last edited by DanNun; 12-26-2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanNun View Post
            The hint in TFTW is in his dedication. It’s why he wanted to read it before his preface.
            Forrest mentioned no one has told him the clue on the MAP.
            I believe it’s in the latter part of the Moby Dickens interview.

May his soul rest

Comment

Originally posted by Not4but242Walk View Post
              I thought that was just the cropping of the Rockies to exclude Canada. There was this quote floating around, but not sure of its origin.

"There is a major clue in the book but I don’t think it will help you find the treasure chest. I will tell you what the clue is. In the back of my book there is a map, and I have said in the that the treasure chest is hidden in the rocky mountain… the map stops at Canada, the Rockies keep going up there but I said the treasure is in the Rocky Mountains which would include Canada, but when this book was printed I didn’t realize that Benchmark Maps stopped at the Canadian border but I don’t think that is going to help you much."
              Check out the question at 38:07 on the Moby Dickens interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Not4but242Walk View Post

The clue is the word benchmark. Forrest uses diversion talking about Canada then he sneaks in the actual hint of benchmark. He was always sneaky that way. VABM is a vertical angle benchmark and the surveyors who installed and maintain them refer to them as blazes. There is one such VABM named “Wise” in Wyoming and it is not feasible to remove or destroy it, which is why I don’t buy Jack’s story about the damaged blaze. Forrest would never have used a clue which Jack claims has all but disintegrated in less than a decade, unless you think Forrest wrote “FF” on a post-it note and stuck it to a tree with a push pin.

All the clues are still there, as is the blaze, as pristine as it was when it was installed when Forrest was a child(some of the clues did not exist when Forrest was a boy but the places did). In the year 2040 and 2140 the blaze will still be undamaged, as Forrest knew that all his clues would have to stand the test of time, unlike Jack’s soggy post-it note blaze with it’s rusted push pin. IMO of course, but what do I know?

Comment

My TOTC Solution — Part 7— The Atonement | by Paddle | Dec, 2020 | Medium

Comment

I have one that seems pretty strong to me.

On the map in the back of TFTW, there is one city dot that doesn't have the city's name listed with it.
                    Only one.
                    And that's just NE of Cody, Wyoming.

Looking at the highways line, turns and lengths, and checking Google Maps, that city can only be Powell, Wyoming.

Researching Powell, I find some interesting things.
                    - It's in Park County. Forrest said he would "park his car" as a final clue, twice and in two different locations, if I recall right.
                    - In Powell is Northwest College, and this offer several hints.
                    The most striking is the iconic carillon bell tower.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Northwest_College%2C_Powell%2C_Wyoming_summer_2015_08.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	239442
                    There is also a carillon bell tower at the US Air Force Academy's cemetery.
                    https://www2.usafa.org/Heritage/CarillonBells

Forrest has said "ring my bell" several times.
                    He made bronze bells, as told in TTOTC in the chapter "Dancing With The Millennium", where one of them reads:
                    "If you should ever think of me, a thousand years from now, please ring my bell so I will know."
                    That's cemetery stuff, if I've ever seen it.
                    Forrest placed the bell outside his "portal", which sounds like a special kind of doorway, like the one at the end of our lives to the next world.

The Northwest College mascot and nickname is "Trapper."
                    Connecting to "Journal of a Trapper" by Osborne Russell.
                    And a catcher, from "Catcher in the Rye", is a trapper of sorts too.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think diving bells are very important

Comment

For me, it was an odd exclusion that would make a fisherman raise an eyebrow. The mighty Gallatin River that Forrest loved fishing so much was left off the fold-out map. Yellowstone River is there; Madison River is there; Clark Fork, Wind River, Bighorn, Green, Colorado, Arkansas and Rio Grande all there. The Snake River is there, too, but unlabeled. But no blue ink for the Gallatin and no label.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
                          For me, it was an odd exclusion that would make a fisherman raise an eyebrow. The mighty Gallatin River that Forrest loved fishing so much was left off the fold-out map. Yellowstone River is there; Madison River is there; Clark Fork, Wind River, Bighorn, Green, Colorado, Arkansas and Rio Grande all there. The Snake River is there, too, but unlabeled. But no blue ink for the Gallatin and no label.
                          Interesting.

Comment

One thing I wondered about, but never really looked into beyond what I'm saying here, had to do with the longitudinal-like lines on the Benchmark Map. They run from 8 degrees in the east through 15 degrees in the west. The actual longitude of 110 degrees W was an important part of my solve and I wondered if Fenn was hinting that longitude might be something to look into.

Comment

Others have pointed out some interesting ideas, but I think the main one, or the one staring us all in the face is that the map ruled out private land, which was a first. It said the treasure was to be found in one of the highlighted regions of the map. Then there's a key to all the color coded types of public lands. That key is titled "Public Lands." All the private land is white and therefore not highlighted.

If I had to guess, now that it's been found, I would think that Forrest constantly wearing purple in interviews was a nod to Yellowstone, which is highlighted in purple on that map. Prior to the Wyoming announcement--and even partly afterward--I would have thought that YNP is way too obvious and therefore should be ruled out. Now I just think it's stupid of me to have overthought it. Of course he had to put it in Yellowstone. These two quotes alone are enough, now that we know Wyoming is the state: "In Love with Yellowstone" and "Yellowstone: that's where my heart is."

Comment

Working...
                              X