Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a treasure hunter? Or what?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are you a treasure hunter? Or what?

    I was never in the adventures or hunts before FF chase. Mike was into all puzzles and treasure hunts. I loved sudoku and puzzles and such, but never a hunt. After the hunt ended, I am trying all the various hunts and nothing is like FF. The closest was tumble bear lode and, well, it didn’t last a week. So, are you a FF chaser or a treasure hunter (meaning all things puzzles). Just curious.
    “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

  • #2
    This is the puzzle to end all puzzles. I started out thinking it was a pretty standard treasure hunt. 7 years later, and hopefully a little bit wiser, it's crystal clear this is something else altogether. If it's not too melodramatic, I'd say it's a part of our collective destiny. And it ain't over yet . . .

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by voxpops View Post
      This is the puzzle to end all puzzles. I started out thinking it was a pretty standard treasure hunt. 7 years later, and hopefully a little bit wiser, it's crystal clear this is something else altogether. If it's not too melodramatic, I'd say it's a part of our collective destiny. And it ain't over yet . . .
      We're more or less in the middle of the cold, hmmm?
      „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
      G. C. Lichtenberg

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cowboyrocker View Post

        We're more or less in the middle of the cold, hmmm?
        Pretty much.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kpro View Post
          I was never in the adventures or hunts before FF chase. Mike was into all puzzles and treasure hunts. I loved sudoku and puzzles and such, but never a hunt. After the hunt ended, I am trying all the various hunts and nothing is like FF. The closest was tumble bear lode and, well, it didn’t last a week. So, are you a FF chaser or a treasure hunter (meaning all things puzzles). Just curious.
          Treasure hunter for almost 40 years. Finder of coins. medals, jewelry and such, metal detector enthusiast, bottle dump hunter, scrap metal collector. But my favorite part of it all is the research. Once took place in a library with books is now on steroids with the use of internet and search engines.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kpro View Post
            I was never in the adventures or hunts before FF chase. Mike was into all puzzles and treasure hunts. I loved sudoku and puzzles and such, but never a hunt. After the hunt ended, I am trying all the various hunts and nothing is like FF. The closest was tumble bear lode and, well, it didn’t last a week. So, are you a FF chaser or a treasure hunter (meaning all things puzzles). Just curious.
            All puzzles and hunts interest me. Been hunting for treasure my whole life. There are many reasons that Forrest's treasure hunt was remarkable, but most of them center around so much historical context of an interesting human being at strange times in American life. You can't recreate a lead character like Forrest in a million tries. Someday, someone might create a close second treasure hunt to this one, and I will applaud that creation if it ever comes along.

            I'm pretty sure I'm at the tail end of solving The Whistle Pig; not absolutely sure, but I've got a lot of that figured out. I've been working that one really hard to lose myself in another hunt. It's super strange the first seven times through that book but then things start popping that actually matter. The subliminal nature of language fascinates me. It allows people to hide things virtually in plain sight and have them go almost undetected by the human mind. Simply astounding.

            Do you know The Whistle Pig? It's a fun and mildly haunting little adventure he takes you on in ten short stories. Might want to hold off on buying a copy though. LOL. I'm sure you probably have one already.

            I'm about 90 bucks in gas away from going for the Whistle Pig. His is very precise. I should not be crying out there. It's literally walk right to it the way he built it like that. Astonishing puzzle design. He even gives the location of the key down to the inch. I found that final determiner when I was reading two of the back to back stories and they both subtly mention 18 inch hair. In one, there's an 18 inch pony tail. In the other, there's an 18 inch beard. That's "18 in here." The "fruit" is a stone. That's why he only mentions cherries and peaches in the book. They are "stone" fruits. Find the fruit is referring to the correct stone.

            I've said enough on The Whistle Pig. But it's really fun, even if I haven't figured it out yet. Good little hunt. I can see why people abandoned it though. It's haaaaaaaaaaard. You don't even have the luxury of looking for wwwh on that sucker. Just a whole book from which you need to pull what you need to build the solve. Super funny. Makes me miss wwwh. Anyway, if you want to partner up on the pig. Hit me up. If I don't have it all... I'm within 200 feet for sure. The puzzle area is enormous and then it narrows down very fast.

            I don't want to be on any shows, but if you want to talk about it or message with me I would do that if you kept what I said under your hat. You could be the keeper of new secrets!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by voxpops View Post
              This is the puzzle to end all puzzles. I started out thinking it was a pretty standard treasure hunt. 7 years later, and hopefully a little bit wiser, it's crystal clear this is something else altogether. If it's not too melodramatic, I'd say it's a part of our collective destiny. And it ain't over yet . . .
              That would make us all destiny's child

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm a treasure hunter, but there has to be a way into the puzzle. I've only been serious about the Golden Owl and TTOTC but they both have the same things going for them, decent prize, very poetic or interesting words that could be read many different ways, plenty of ideas to read about online, theories to research that lead to interesting learnings. I think most hunts are not very well put together, and that stops them being fun. They should inspire lots of theories and what ifs... But I've tried quite a few that are just frustrating. I spent some time on the enigma of dolos and wanted to like it but sadly no.

                I'll look at other hunts but there's so few as good as TTOTC. It was all things to all people, if you wanted it to be about codes you'd look at that, if you loved plotting on maps you could do that, if you wanted it to be about picture clues you'd find some, if maps and history were your thing you could look at it that way... The actual solution probably wasn't great, but it definitely ticked the 'everyone can have a theory' box which inspires involvement and gets people to love a hunt.
                goldenoyster.co.uk, goldenowlhunt.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kpro View Post
                  I was never in the adventures or hunts before FF chase. Mike was into all puzzles and treasure hunts. I loved sudoku and puzzles and such, but never a hunt. After the hunt ended, I am trying all the various hunts and nothing is like FF. The closest was tumble bear lode and, well, it didn’t last a week. So, are you a FF chaser or a treasure hunter (meaning all things puzzles). Just curious.
                  I'm not a treasure hunter at all. I happen to have done a few corporate fraud investigations throughout my various careers. So, I thought to apply those skills. I had a lower back injury that pretty much crippled me back in 2014. In January 2017, being couch ridden for 2 years , I came across a news article about FF and this American RM treasure hunt ( I'm Canadian) . It brought me to Dal's site. It was a poem as a map and yuck I thought- Poetry! I hate poetry. Poetry runs in my families genetics and it's easy for me to write such. But I hate poetry. At first I wasn't interested but I needed something, at that point in my limited immobility of walking/standing, to motivate me. So, I gave it a go. My back healed , though I suffered muscle atrophy , I went out 4 months later to search for my first time. I clearly wasn't physically able to really go into the Rockies , but I did. I ended up up crawling out of the forrest on my hands and dragging my feet to get back to my truck, lol. So , I started therapy and fully recovered. Went searching 6 times.

                  I have no interest in any other treasure hunts. Especially if it's a poem as a map, lol.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alsetenash View Post

                    I'm not a treasure hunter at all. I happen to have done a few corporate fraud investigations throughout my various careers. So, I thought to apply those skills. I had a lower back injury that pretty much crippled me back in 2014. In January 2017, being couch ridden for 2 years , I came across a news article about FF and this American RM treasure hunt ( I'm Canadian) . It brought me to Dal's site. It was a poem as a map and yuck I thought- Poetry! I hate poetry. Poetry runs in my families genetics and it's easy for me to write such. But I hate poetry. At first I wasn't interested but I needed something, at that point in my limited immobility of walking/standing, to motivate me. So, I gave it a go. My back healed , though I suffered muscle atrophy , I went out 4 months later to search for my first time. I clearly wasn't physically able to really go into the Rockies , but I did. I ended up up crawling out of the forrest on my hands and dragging my feet to get back to my truck, lol. So , I started therapy and fully recovered. Went searching 6 times.

                    I have no interest in any other treasure hunts. Especially if it's a poem as a map, lol.
                    I think anyone who goes to the Rockies six times hunting for treasure is probably a treasure hunter. So, if someone gave me your story and said "Is an injured person who goes to the mountains looking for treasure before fully recovering a treasure hunter?" I would say "If that person isn't, then no one is."

                    You, friend, are a treasure hunter. You don't even need to keep hunting for new treasures. You hunted for treasure. Therefore you are a treasure hunter. I will send you your treasure hunting badge via snail mail. But I use real snails, and they often get lost or eaten. I have no idea if my snail even has a passport, but perhaps he will slowly sneak across the border between us. Wish snail luck!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tootingjo View Post
                      I'm a treasure hunter, but there has to be a way into the puzzle. I've only been serious about the Golden Owl and TTOTC but they both have the same things going for them, decent prize, very poetic or interesting words that could be read many different ways, plenty of ideas to read about online, theories to research that lead to interesting learnings. I think most hunts are not very well put together, and that stops them being fun. They should inspire lots of theories and what ifs... But I've tried quite a few that are just frustrating. I spent some time on the enigma of dolos and wanted to like it but sadly no.

                      I'll look at other hunts but there's so few as good as TTOTC. It was all things to all people, if you wanted it to be about codes you'd look at that, if you loved plotting on maps you could do that, if you wanted it to be about picture clues you'd find some, if maps and history were your thing you could look at it that way... The actual solution probably wasn't great, but it definitely ticked the 'everyone can have a theory' box which inspires involvement and gets people to love a hunt.
                      You really nailed it with how everyone had a way to play their own way. That makes it even more remarkable that it took so long to be found considering everyone had their own method and strengths of mentality and imagination.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Quest View Post

                        That would make us all destiny's child

                        I bet this is the song the finder fears most right now. "Say my name" lol.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post

                          I think anyone who goes to the Rockies six times hunting for treasure is probably a treasure hunter. So, if someone gave me your story and said "Is an injured person who goes to the mountains looking for treasure before fully recovering a treasure hunter?" I would say "If that person isn't, then no one is."

                          You, friend, are a treasure hunter. You don't even need to keep hunting for new treasures. You hunted for treasure. Therefore you are a treasure hunter. I will send you your treasure hunting badge via snail mail. But I use real snails, and they often get lost or eaten. I have no idea if my snail even has a passport, but perhaps he will slowly sneak across the border between us. Wish snail luck!
                          Nah. I only have participated in this one, but technically you can call me a treasure hunter for this one, lol. I like doing investigations if it's of an interest or if I'm affected by it to do so. There were other motivations to participate in this FF one, but that's another story. Nothing financial as a motivator, though I seemingly connected an event that happened in 2002 as potentially connected to this Hunt. Still do. It ain't over, though the chest has been found, imo . My investigation is not yet complete, and I always complete my investigations. It's not something stubborn of my egoic mind that keeps me interested in this. It's the intuition mind that never sleeps, damn it!!!



                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post

                            I bet this is the song the finder fears most right now. "Say my name" lol.
                            Dont be so sure he isn't training everyone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Runnin' down a dream
                              that never would come to me
                              Workin' on a mystery
                              Goin' wherever it leads . . .
                              Finding Jessica

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X