Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Question: “How much progress can be made by someone just thinking and searching the Internet from home? (Another way of saying this: How many clues can only be decoded in situ?)”

Forrest: “All of them, in theory, but not likely in practice. A searcher must go to the site to find the treasure.”

Interesting word "site"

site

noun

\ ˈsīt \

Definition of site

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: the spatial location of an actual or planned structure or set of structures (such as a building, town, or monuments)

b: a space of ground occupied or to be occupied by a building

2a: the place, scene, or point of an occurrence or event. A picnic site

b: one or more Internet addresses at which an individual or organization provides information to othersan FTP siteespecially : WEBSITE

What is your definition considering Forrest's elimination of structures and buildings?

Forrest was very careful with word usage. Why did he not use spot, or location, but instead used the word site?
    Last edited by Trovesearcher1; 11-16-2020, 12:26 PM.

I'm pretty sure as heck-fire that it's possible to get up to the very last step without going to the site.
    But that last step is a dewzy.
    Amiright or amiright or amiright? Right, right, right!

Comment

Forrest may have been teasing about "sight", regarding impressive things to see. I remember a posting that mentioned the beauty of a place bringing tears to a searcher's eyes. And years ago, I was at a place that made me feel pretty much that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
        Forrest may have been teasing about "sight", regarding impressive things to see. I remember a posting that mentioned the beauty of a place bringing tears to a searcher's eyes. And years ago, I was at a place that made me feel pretty much that way.
        Agree with site/sight.

sight-a thing that one sees or that can be
        ​​​​​​—places of interest to tourists and visitors in a city, town, or other place.

Part of the reason I believe it was in Yellowstone now. That place is flooded with tourists if you’ve ever been.

Comment

Battle site would top my list. Which is mentioned in the article written about him & Peggy going to Sheridan often. And it was one of his favorite places. To go alone into the those historical places near by.
          Situ? ( Site U) A campsite/campground would also be fitting for why a child would have an advantage. A over colorful cartoonish map they give children of the area. The right map.
          why do you think that question ended in "situ? "
          something feels very off with that. Like i mentioned before. I think Forrest edited the questions with subtle hints . But we over dissected his answers.
          i presumed situ was situation. Which doesn't relate to the question of internet.
          am i missing what situ means?
          Situational irony? Situs- inversus,solitude,ambiguous?
          idk.. so always appreciate help with what i don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Trovesearcher1 View Post

Forrest was very careful with word usage. Why did he not use spot, or location, but instead used the word site?

He was not the only one to use that term:

"The crew and the plane remained lost for two years. Then in 1945 a couple of cowboys saw the glint of the wreckage and discovered the crash site."

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
              You may be right Old Pilot. But I know when I go to a site for a picnic, I always bring a sandwich.

Comment

242walk with as many times Forrest mentioned aviation accidents. I think there is a possibility the treasure is at a place where an aircraft crashed. So I find it interesting to read the example you provided.
                Last edited by TimW; 11-17-2020, 01:52 AM.

Comment

I think that we can deduce something about the nature of the solve from Forrest's actions. What is the biggest action he took during those ten years? He talked, a lot. How many emails, interviews, private conversations and scrapbooks did he produce and take part in? That's a lot of content talking about one thing (give or take) Can we infer something about the solution from such confidence in being able to skirt around the issue for such a long time without giving anything away, trusting yourself to not be duped by a clever question or a slip of the tongue? He had some stock phrases he would use such as "the poem is straight forward" or even a blank "I don't want to talk about that" sure enough. But to me, it suggests that the solution is far from simple, completely idiosyncratic, or there is no solution (just an option, not putting any credence to the idea necessarily) So he could be confident enough to talk freely and not make any slip ups (at least in his mind) especially in a live setting where he would have to think on his feet. If you agree with that disjunction of possibilities, then you have to give some probability to the idea that the solution was idiosyncratic or there was none at all, as well as the option of being devilishly clever. By idiosyncratic i mean obscurely personal, like, what was the name of the dog i saw on the park 3 years ago when i happened to be thinking about lunch? How in the world could you know? Yet it would be true to say there was an answer.

Supposing there was a solvable answer and given these thoughts about his confidence to talk about it, there must have been weak points in that defensive wall. I think the most revealing information would have come from live interview, unique and oblique, questions. The likelihood of which would have come earlier in the chase when he hadn't heard such questions before, and when he had had less time to get his stock answers practiced. Questions that were a step or two away from the direct question, yet nevertheless you could infer an answer to. Maybe that's what the supposed finder did.

Comment

Originally posted by DanNun View Post

Agree with site/sight.

sight-a thing that one sees or that can be
                    ​​​​​​—places of interest to tourists and visitors in a city, town, or other place.

Part of the reason I believe it was in Yellowstone now. That place is flooded with tourists if you’ve ever been.
                    I think the site/sight you have to go to (to find the treasure) was a reference to his gunsight, and the fact that it didn’t shoot
                    straight. As in- you’ve found the blaze- you’re looking ‘quickly down’-now you make an “adjustment “ to your aim if you want
                    to hit what you’re shooting at.
                    Last edited by RFISH; 11-17-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

From ramblings and rumblings-Dad was proud of me when I brought meat home, especially when I told him
                      that the gun shoots a little to the left and I had to adjust.

Comment

Sight - marvel gaze

Comment

Photo math. A+B=C ???

Comment

Originally posted by RFISH View Post
                            Photo math. A+B=C ???
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201117-080251_(1).png
Views:	383
Size:	606.9 KB
ID:	222976 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201117-080302_(1).png
Views:	364
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	222977

Comment

Originally posted by Trovesearcher1 View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201117-080251_(1).png
Views:	383
Size:	606.9 KB
ID:	222976 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201117-080302_(1).png
Views:	364
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	222977
                              Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Not rocket science, just abstract math.

Comment

Working...
                              X