dogged reporters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogged reporters...

For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end.- https://medium.com/@thefinder/a-reme...n-1be2a8646ff2

Just wondering if this is a play on words of sorts... Does anybody remember the interview at Forrests' home back in 2013 or 2014 where the reporter got bitten by their dog as soon as they arrived? If anybody has the link could you please post?

Originally posted by Max23 View Post
    For a man who expressed anxiety about getting Alzheimer’s, he seemed to have found the perfect deterrent to cognitive decline — talking frequently and in guarded detail about a huge, closely-held secret to a cache of gold, yet never divulging it to the thousands of interested people inquiring. In a decade, he never made more than a couple of subtle slip-ups in front of all the dogged reporters who came to his house, and even those apparently haven’t been caught by anyone besides me. He never paid to advertise his hunt, yet seemingly every media outlet wanted a piece of him, and he still managed to stay sharp as a tack and “keep his secret where” till the very end.- https://medium.com/@thefinder/a-reme...n-1be2a8646ff2

Just wondering if this is a play on words of sorts... Does anybody remember the interview at Forrests' home back in 2013 or 2014 where the reporter got bitten by their dog as soon as they arrived? If anybody has the link could you please post?
    https://stories.californiasunday.com...-forrest-fenn/

Comment

That's the one, thanks.

“If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite …” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue.

Comment

If that point doesnt scream the name Doug Preston then nothing does. Remember in kpro interview where Doug states forrest had mentioned something new that was a hint. And forrest thanked him for not pointing it out ? Well, there you go !

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post

If that point doesnt scream the name Doug Preston then nothing does. Remember in kpro interview where Doug states forrest had mentioned something new that was a hint. And forrest thanked him for not pointing it out ? Well, there you go !
          I have already disclosed what that one thing ended up being, and DP stated he was incorrect in his assumption.

“Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Always keeping the edge , after all , you'll never know where it is , unless you go to it .

Net Flicks

Comment

and there's this too ...

Net Flicks

Comment

That's the one, thanks.

“If I get Alzheimer’s, I’m going to flag my calendar for six months from now and do it my own way,” he told me. “Hopefully at my last dying gasp I will still go back to that place and die at my favorite …” He trailed off, perhaps wary of giving out a clue.
                I think you're on to something here. That's the most obvious slip, and the 'dogged' reference would make the writer smile. Favourite fishing spot seems almost too obvious... But what else could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by tootingjo View Post

I think you're on to something here. That's the most obvious slip, and the 'dogged' reference would make the writer smile. Favourite fishing spot seems almost too obvious... But what else could it be?
                  That's the thing though. Fishing spot is probably what it is. Try plugging something else into the end of that sentence. My favorite pile of rocks on a hillside. My favorite tree on a mountain. Those aren't expressions.

But what's more odd is that even if he finished that sentence with favorite fishing spot, it still doesn't tell you which fishing spot that would be. There are a pile of them mentioned by name in TTOTC, and even more in subsequent books. If this is what the finder caught, it still doesn't add up because everyone was thinking fishing spot for years. What gave the finder confidence in knowing which same fishing hole to search for 25 days?

Hmmm.?

Comment

I agree with ending Forrest's trailing remark with "...fishing spot." That's why I never considered a poem solution that didn't lead one to within close proximity of prime flywaters. (Another strong reason to dismiss the recent GPS solution.)

There was an insightful post over three years ago on Reddit by u/steven2014 that I thoroughly agreed with, and which kept me locked into my location. I've reposted it below, bolding some of it in red that was specific to my solution:

“Forrest Fenn has referenced talking about a family fly fishing and finding it accidentally (looking for a new fishing hole). He usually has said that no one should accidentally stumble across it unless they are searching for the treasure, but this is the one exception he’s made. And it makes sense.

“Why? Because when you are out fly fishing there are certain times that you need to be on the other side of the river to cast your line in the correct position (you present your fly by casting upstream, and usually stand in the shallow area and cast into the deep area.) As a fly fishing guide and avid fisherman in Yellowstone, Forrest Fenn would have spent many times crossing rivers and looking for new ‘fishing spots.’ He most likely found a great and remote fishing spot, and returned to it many times. Nothing is more magical to a fisherman than finding your own secret fishing hole in your favorite spot (I’m leaning more towards Yellowstone, Montana, or Wyoming).

“ANYWAYS, he’s not just going to hide his treasure right at his fishing hole. He needs to make sure that it stays hidden. So he will make sure he crosses the river so he's on the side of the wilderness and that crossing the river will be the only way to get to it (just like he said, only a fly fisherman might accidentally find it). His fishing hole will not be view-able from the road and will not be near a pullout (fisherman always stop at pullouts so it wouldn't be very secretive). And since people would walk on the opposite bank of the river, he will need to walk a little into the woods (or maybe up a creek). He could have easily done this originally to get a better view and found an amazing rock (the blaze) or a good hiding spot.”

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post

I have already disclosed what that one thing ended up being, and DP stated he was incorrect in his assumption.
                      kpro I have never heard the answer to that hint . If you could please disclose it here on the forum as opposed to sending us to YT . My old age has me taking a lot of time to complete certain tasks . It would also halt the number of requests I am sure are to follow my own . Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Fenndery View Post

kpro I have never heard the answer to that hint . If you could please disclose it here on the forum as opposed to sending us to YT . My old age has me taking a lot of time to complete certain tasks . It would also halt the number of requests I am sure are to follow my own . Thank you in advance
                        . Of course.

Douglas was referring to where F said the various types of land. He said in the one clip, he started with Bureau of Reclamation??? Or one of the obscure ones, rather than State parks, National Park, etc, so he thought that gave away the type of land.
                        “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

. Of course.

Douglas was referring to where F said the various types of land. He said in the one clip, he started with Bureau of Reclamation??? Or one of the obscure ones, rather than State parks, National Park, etc, so he thought that gave away the type of land.
                          Did Forrest actually confirm that was the hint? Regarding the type of land? If" DP was incorrect in his assumption" then what was the hint? I'm confused.....

Comment

Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post

That's the thing though. Fishing spot is probably what it is. Try plugging something else into the end of that sentence. My favorite pile of rocks on a hillside. My favorite tree on a mountain. Those aren't expressions.

But what's more odd is that even if he finished that sentence with favorite fishing spot, it still doesn't tell you which fishing spot that would be. There are a pile of them mentioned by name in TTOTC, and even more in subsequent books. If this is what the finder caught, it still doesn't add up because everyone was thinking fishing spot for years. What gave the finder confidence in knowing which same fishing hole to search for 25 days?

Hmmm.?
                            Totally agree, it couldn't be that alone. But being focussed on a fishing spot narrows it down a little, and it was a 'couple' of slip ups, if this is one it's using a bit of artistic licence to say it wasn't noticed, but the whole post is written in an overblown artistic licence kind of style. (Or it's BS, no one knows..!) Maybe the other slip up is something vague hinting at the name of an area in a playful way? Bad example but 'treasure is wet' and it's in Damp Valley or something. So some comment reminded him of a place he'd seen that was perfect for fishing. I was always sure the spot had to have rocky landmarks for a blaze (trees are no good) so you could rule out a lot of fishing areas if you look at it that way... you might look at a fishing river in a valley, like Tongue River Canyon? I only thought of it today but even 'the end of my rainbow' has a fishing slant, maybe the spot was the best for rainbow trout?

Who knows... Not many people are trying to make sense of hints in the Medium post anyway, they don't believe it. That's fair enough.

Comment

. Of course.

Fenndery: here's my transcript of what Forrest said that kpro is referring to. This was from the first week of November 2019:

KPro: “Okay. Uh, what recommendation do you give to the finder? Do you think they should be public? Do you think they should remain anonymous?”

FF: “I’ve said several times that if you find that treasure chest, put it under your bed and leave it there for 30 days without doing ANYTHING. There’s a lot that you need to think about. And there are a lot of things… I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about that. I’ve spent $5,000 with an attorney researching what happens if it’s found on private property, Indian land, uh, government land – “government land” being the Bureau of Reclamations, the Corps of Engineers, BLM, National Park Service, Forest Service … there’s twenty of those things, and every one of them has a different rule. So, it’s not that easy. But it’s certainly doable, and that’s why I said put it under your bed and leave it for 30 days, because you need to think about every one of those things.”

Comment

Working...
                              X