Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Forrest hint at WWWH in final message to searchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Forrest hint at WWWH in final message to searchers?

If I'm not mistaken, the last public statement that Forrest made to searchers was via Matt "Smell the Sunshine" during the Fenn Finale in West Yellowstone on Labor Day weekend. A week-and-a-half previously, Forrest had given Matt a letter to read aloud to everyone at the get-together, which was also later shared on Dal's as "The Squirt" on October 1st:

https://dalneitzel.com/2020/10/01/squirt/

It's a bit of an odd story about a day in West Yellowstone back before its streets were paved. Forrest is bothered by the dust kicked up by cars going back and forth in front of their motel "The Dude" and tries to suppress it by spraying down the road with a garden hose.

Enter "Elert Kosky" (whose name Forrest had previously spelled "Ellert" in his final Scrapbook 253 in late April this year). Elert (Alert?)'s real name was Eino Ellert Koski -- there's even a short loop road in West Yellowstone named after him -- Einos Loop -- and I believe he founded his own hotel on that loop back in the day. Anyway, Ellert apparently took some delight in foiling Forrest's dust-killing strategy by speeding back and forth in front of the Dude. Forrest paradoxically gets back at him by squirting down his brother Skippy's car -- presumably as some sort of "diabolical" proxy. Forrest closes the story with a request of the gathered searchers: that someone take a squirt bottle and wet down the pavement in front of the Dude sign. A triplet of kids does the honors (two of them wearing "slosh slippers" no less):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Findlay_kids.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	640.5 KB
ID:	217411
    So what's really going on here? The title of the story seems to be a pretty straightforward hint for Yellowstone's geysers (and compressing a squeeze bottle of water is a pretty good analogue for what a geyser does.) He also mentions "Boundary Street" in the story, which plays into my WWWH which was on the boundary of YNP. We also have yet another instance of Forrest butchering someone's name, and that name containing LL, EL, ELL or ELLA within it. (Recall Richard Wetherill misspelled Wetherell in TTOTC and Orson Welles misspelled Wells in TFTW.) My take on all the LL names that Forrest mentions is that it's a hint for the double L's in both Yellowstone and Gallatin.

But the picture above is almost too obvious. Look where the kids are standing: on the yellow curb. They are literally standing on the edge of "yellow stone," squirting water onto the pavement -- where it subsequently halts -- just as geyser water does when it lands back on the ground. And not just the edge of yellow stone, but the corner as well. (Reminder: my WWWH was the extreme northwest corner of YNP.) And if that's not a clear enough message for water halting at the corner of Yellowstone, the big red STOP sign behind the kids ought to hammer home the point. Finally, what's at every entrance to YNP? I'd say The Dude sign is a decent stand-in for one of those big wooden Yellowstone National Park signs.

There are six entrances to Yellowstone, but only two are in what could be considered a "corner" of the park: the NW corner where the Gallatin River exits the park, and the NE corner near the MT/WY border following Soda Butte Creek. The other four entrances are on YNP edges. Only the NW corner has a canyon that formally begins right there on the border, allowing the first two clues (WWWH and "canyon down") to be contiguous.

Zapster it should be pretty easy to track down whose kids they are, who took the photo and who asked the kids to stand there? In other words, it wouldn't be difficult to figure out if the photo was staged. Perhaps kpro has more info on the specifics. One other thing I noticed when I first read this SB was the repeated use of the word squirt. If I were using a hose the more natural word to use would be spray and not squirt. This got me thinking about synonyms for squirt - Tyke. There is a searcher named Tyke. Also, what do you make of the last line in the SB (paraphrasing), if someone does squirt the pavement, "I'm sure I will know.f" Do you think he was referring to the fact that there are webcams in the area and he would actually be able to see this?

Comment

Maybe f discovered a geyser some where else lol

Comment

Reported last name of the kids is a little "suspicious": Findlay (find + lay??) Yes, Forrest couldn't control how the picture was framed, but he was fairly specific about the location and could probably reasonably expect that The Dude sign would make it into the image. The Stop sign is a longer shot, but it is right in front of the place. A good section of curb is painted yellow, so a picture showing the road in front of the Dude would have a decent chance of showing yellow curb.

There ARE webcams in town, and Forrest has even mentioned one that he has looked at (pointed at the yellow train car?), so maybe that's how he would know. ;-)

Comment

I find it intriguing that he sent this scrapbook to STS to read at the finale. When Matt started reading , it just seemed like a strange story to read at the end of everybody’s searching. The part he wrote at the end seemed to fit the scene though, but he wanted that short story read for a reason.

Comment

Just had a thought... what if he was trying to get all of the people at the finale to line up, (so to speak) and “wet down the pavement”so he could double check on who was there? Maybe he had access to a camera near or had someone on the lookout at The Dude? I know... It sounds a little nutty. Great... now the conspiracies have got ahold of me too!

Comment

I think someone is trying too hard to find "hints" that may not really be intended as helpful hints. A curb is usually made of concrete, which I don't call "stone". If you think that FF was hinting at "Yellowstone" being an important or significant location in this treasure hunt, you should look for other/additional support for this. But since a hint doesn't solve a clue, I suggest that you try to solve
              the clues in the poem by focusing on it, instead of being distracted or diverted by facts that probably don't relate in a helpful way. Here's an example of one, in my opinion:
              Squirt is owned by Keurig Dr Pepper.

Comment

squirt = stop
                squirt = dude
                squirt = HINT

Sorry to just dump that in here, out of the blue.
                Finding Jessica

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzbait View Post
                  Just had a thought... what if he was trying to get all of the people at the finale to line up, (so to speak) and “wet down the pavement”so he could double check on who was there? Maybe he had access to a camera near or had someone on the lookout at The Dude? I know... It sounds a little nutty. Great... now the conspiracies have got ahold of me too!
                  That's exactly what happened. Forrest asked Cynthia and Kpro to take a group photo so he could see who was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post

That's exactly what happened. Forrest asked Cynthia and Kpro to take a group photo so he could see who was there.
                    This would seem to suggest that he was looking for someone he had already met, or would otherwise recognize ?
                    Finding Jessica

Comment

Here is one of Cynthia's videos where she mentions Forrest's photo request:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9z3_e73GLQ

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
                        I think someone is trying too hard to find "hints" that may not really be intended as helpful hints. A curb is usually made of concrete, which I don't call "stone". If you think that FF was hinting at "Yellowstone" being an important or significant location in this treasure hunt, you should look for other/additional support for this.
                        Already done dozens of times. This is just one more instance to throw on an already large pile. Forrest has been screaming YNP and borders for a decade, so I figure it was for a reason since he said not to look for subterfuge or tricks from him.

But since a hint doesn't solve a clue, I suggest that you try to solve
                        the clues in the poem by focusing on it, instead of being distracted or diverted by facts that probably don't relate in a helpful way.
                        I think you misapprehend me. I've had the same end-to-end solution for 13 months, 78% of which has been posted here. This was just one more exercise in recognizing some hint support for that same solution. I freely admit it has one glaring problem: it was a pinpoint location in Montana, not Wyoming.

I'll give you another example for what it's worth. Consider all the times Forrest brought up National Geographic magazine. What is iconic about that magazine's cover?

Comment

Kinda reminds me of peeing in the gas tank -
                          A sort of "that'll show him" thing.......

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
                            Zapster it should be pretty easy to track down whose kids they are, who took the photo and who asked the kids to stand there? In other words, it wouldn't be difficult to figure out if the photo was staged. Perhaps kpro has more info on the specifics. One other thing I noticed when I first read this SB was the repeated use of the word squirt. If I were using a hose the more natural word to use would be spray and not squirt. This got me thinking about synonyms for squirt - Tyke. There is a searcher named Tyke. Also, what do you make of the last line in the SB (paraphrasing), if someone does squirt the pavement, "I'm sure I will know.f" Do you think he was referring to the fact that there are webcams in the area and he would actually be able to see this?
                            Carries kids, and that is her actual last name. I don’t like to reveal all of that type of stuff, but basically, there is no conspiracy. This one is NOT IMO, though I have not checked their birth records, I am friends on FB and knew her from the finale.
                            “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

Wherever the old man is, he must be amused.

Comment

Working...
                              X