X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XFiles
    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Vestalpatience
    He ended it, I knew he would.
    no way he would leave this mess for everyone else- Peggy especially.
    where does the treasure sit now? I’d love to know.
    maybe the “finder” “Shiloh” will hide it again with a new hunt and hints!
    That last part is fishy. If Forrest did ask someone to retrieve the chest for him, then it would've been Shiloh, I think we would all agree on that. He seems like a perfectly devoted and trusted grandson. And Forrest only described the finder as "he's shy." Shy-loh. I wonder if anyone in Forrest's family calls Shiloh "Shi" for short. Forrest didn't say the finder was clever, intuitive, outdoorsy, bookish, introverted, methodical, imaginative, impressive, friendly, or a thousand other adjectives. He only described the finder as "shy." Could this be Forrest playing one of his self-amusing, mischievous word games which hints that Shiloh retrieved it? I know, it's a conspiracy theory, but this idea has run through my head a couple of times.

If one day the chest is anonymously donated to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, then I'll ascribe an even higher level of confidence to the theory that Forrest had the chest retrieved.

Comment

• Vestalpatience
      • May 2018

Originally posted by XFiles

That last part is fishy. If Forrest did ask someone to retrieve the chest for him, then it would've been Shiloh, I think we would all agree on that. He seems like a perfectly devoted and trusted grandson. And Forrest only described the finder as "he's shy." Shy-loh. I wonder if anyone in Forrest's family calls Shiloh "Shi" for short. Forrest didn't say the finder was clever, intuitive, outdoorsy, bookish, introverted, methodical, imaginative, impressive, friendly, or a thousand other adjectives. He only described the finder as "shy." Could this be Forrest playing one of his self-amusing, mischievous word games which hints that Shiloh retrieved it? I know, it's a conspiracy theory, but this idea has run through my head a couple of times.

If one day the chest is anonymously donated to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, then I'll ascribe an even higher level of confidence to the theory that Forrest had the chest retrieved.
      Raising my cup to you- Shiloh it is. He is Shi.
      Yup.
      Cant wait to see it at the Buffalo Bill Center!

Comment

• June Did Everything Right
        Banned
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by XFiles

I don't think it's fair or ethical to be using the name of a grand child on an internet forum. He's a young man with his own life and his own family business. Prior to Forrest resurfacing with the photos, what did he say on Dal's site: "Please folks, give me some time. I'll be back.f" He did not say anything about his grandson. I think we can do better to not involve other people in Forrest's adventure, no matter how it turned out in the end.

He would have left his family out of it for the very reason... they are family and he would protect them first. The name you're looking for is Doug Preston. LOL.

But for real, let's try to keep innocent people out of it. People really reach when it comes to stuff like the shy guy. You can make a name sort of rhyme, but you left off the back east part. Those two flags (shy and back east) were never meant to signal searchers to think about his family member. That's insane thinking. If they meant anything at all, he was waving to some searcher back east who expressed some level of shyness. He would never in 1,000 years want this thing to carry on to his grandchildren. No grandfather would think that way. The best arguments to pull it involve not wanting to leave this madness going when he passed away. We can't have it both ways. He pulled it, but also implicated two generations down. That's not sensible. For the last decade of his life, his priorities probably looked like this in his mind.

1) Wife
        2) Children and grandchildren and great grandchildren
        3) Pie
        114) Once fun treasure hunt that's now become a heavy burden.

Comment

• LS8887
          • Sep 2020

FF lied about Wyoming. The cover of TTOTC upside down is in the shape of the Rocky Mountain States. The missing state is Montana (no photograph outline of state borders), but it does have gold in the lower left corner of Montana. Also FF named a chapter in Once Upon a While, Golden Montana.
          Last edited by LS8887; 09-19-2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• LS8887
            • Sep 2020

Originally posted by LS8887
            FF lied about Wyoming. The cover of TTOTC upside down is in the shape of the Rocky Mountain States. The missing state is Montana (no photograph outline of state borders), but it does have gold in the lower left corner. Also FF named a chapter in Once Upon a While, Golden Montana.
            Also, did FF really say inappropriate things to women by email? I've never heard any accusation like that before.
            Last edited by LS8887; 09-19-2020, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• JHSharp
              • Oct 2019

This is going to be a great story- it’s already a great story- so greater story. It is just like one of those iconic movies where the misdirection is so complete that you just can’t believe it happened. Sixth Sense, Usual Suspects; Prestige, The Departed. I wonder what the solver’s place in the universe might be. Whether Mr. Wonka left him/her a little postcard or something. A “you were good, kid” or “nice work, took you long enough” or “there’s a 6 pack of Jax in the fridge for ya.”

After such a long, strange trip, and in the wake of the family’s grief (compared to which my question and this forum and all the rest of it really is trivial) one wonders where it all goes from here.

My question isn’t really about treasure $. I think a person who did what the LS allegedly has been attributed to (strait jackets, trippin on LSD, stumbling around the woods like Eli with his Book, stomping on top of the box Chaotically, resting on it to drink a Grapette, then forgetting it and leaving without it) probably thought quite a lot of Forrest Fenn. Surely there was some mind melding there, and I bet after paying some minor debts and therapy bills the LS would trade all that remained for a Note, or a word, post-“It.” I sure hope that part will be based on a true story. (What) and Did Forrest think of the ole Lead Searcher, Chaos/Embroidery, et al.

While they were not family, they seemed to be kindred and I know the LS shed more than a few tears this week. Maybe they are destined to follow one another around time and space, one retiring to the Hall or Fame as soon as the other one makes their Rookie debut? One can wish for a good ending.
              Last edited by JHSharp; 09-19-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• wwwamericana
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by JHSharp
                This is going to be a great story- it’s already a great story- so greater story. It is just like one of those iconic movies where the misdirection is so complete that you just can’t believe it happened. Sixth Sense, Usual Suspects; Prestige, The Departed. I wonder what the solver’s place in the universe might be. Whether Mr. Wonka left him/her a little postcard or something. A “you were good, kid” or “nice work, took you long enough” or “there’s a 6 pack of Jax in the fridge for ya.”

After such a long, strange trip, and in the wake of the family’s grief (compared to which my question and this forum and all the rest of it really is trivial) one wonders where it all goes from here.

My question isn’t really about treasure $. I think a person who did what the LS allegedly has been attributed to (strait jackets, trippin on LSD, stumbling around the woods like Eli with his Book, stomping on top of the box Chaotically, resting on it to drink a Grapette, then forgetting it and leaving without it) probably thought quite a lot of Forrest Fenn. Surely there was some mind melding there, and I bet after paying some minor debts and therapy bills the LS would trade all that remained for a Note, or a word, post-“It.” I sure hope that part will be based on a true story. (What) and Did Forrest think of the ole Lead Searcher, Chaos/Embroidery, et al.

While they were not family, they seemed to be kindred and I know the LS shed more than a few tears this week. Maybe they are destined to follow one another around time and space, one retiring to the Hall or Fame as soon as the other one makes their Rookie debut? One can wish for a good ending.
                Gonna be watching for his/her rookie card.....
                Should make a nice collectible.

Comment

• wwwamericana
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Old Pilot

Anybody who could correctly solve the poem would not send pics of himself (or any e-mail) directly to Forrest. Since the correct solve would (per FF) require a few failed BOTG search hikes, then the
                  correct solver would have probably made those hikes in a fairly small area each time. Not in 4 states, for example. Probably the visual landmarks weren't obviously well-defined and exclusive. I can
                  imagine that a few things in the region could each tempt a clever solver/searcher to believe that each may be the correct blaze, for example. So some trial-and-error BOTG might be expected to be
                  a realistic part of finding the real hidey place. But it's a little harder for me to imagine the finder saying "My god, why didn't I think of that?", when a more likely scenario would be one in which the
                  finder says "Well, that was anticlimactic."
                  Made me remember how difficult it was to hide those birthday presents from the kids - expecially once they got in fifth grade.....

Comment

• Fennway
                    • Jul 2020

Anybody who could correctly solve the poem would not send pics of himself (or any e-mail) directly to Forrest. Since the correct solve would (per FF) require a few failed BOTG search hikes, then the
                    correct solver would have probably made those hikes in a fairly small area each time. Not in 4 states, for example. Probably the visual landmarks weren't obviously well-defined and exclusive. I can
                    imagine that a few things in the region could each tempt a clever solver/searcher to believe that each may be the correct blaze, for example. So some trial-and-error BOTG might be expected to be
                    a realistic part of finding the real hidey place. But it's a little harder for me to imagine the finder saying "My god, why didn't I think of that?", when a more likely scenario would be one in which the
                    I think we speak different languages. I reread this a couple times and still don’t understand any of it. I’m going to assume you agreed with everything I said. Smileyface.

Comment

Banned
                      • Jul 2020

I think you're misunderstanding. Forrest was checking photos for the finder on the night of the Finale to see if he showed up Labor Day Weekend in West. This isn't about the search process. It's about why was Forrest looking at photos to see if the Finder showed up when Forrest could have just called or emailed said finder. It's fishy as all get out!

Comment

Banned
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by LS8887
                        FF lied about Wyoming. The cover of TTOTC upside down is in the shape of the Rocky Mountain States. The missing state is Montana (no photograph outline of state borders), but it does have gold in the lower left corner of Montana. Also FF named a chapter in Once Upon a While, Golden Montana.
                        The chapter is called Montana Golden, not Golden Montana, right?

I don't have my books in front of me at the moment, but I have a mind like a terrible trap.

As a fellow Montana searcher, I just want to point out that he could not catch those fish in that story you mentioned. And when he returns with Donnie and later Peggy neither of them enjoy it much either. So... he might have been eliminating it. Montana Golden? "No. We can't catch any of these stupid fish. No matter how many times I come back here." Add on to that the striking out poem that ends the story. He struck out in Montana. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I too wish it was Montana, friend, but either Forrest is nuts or he's lying about Wyoming. I can't see lying about the state. Maybe the finder, but not the state.

Comment

Banned
                          • Jul 2020

Sorry to multiple post in response to this post of yours, Pilot.

The "My god, why didn't I think of that" is what Forrest said the rest of us would think once it was found. Not the finder. He or she would have their own thought.

He said the finder would think "What took me so long?" Something like that. Forrest said so many things along the way.

Comment

• Duster
                            • Feb 2020

Lunch sounds nice right about now. Heck I'd settle for brunch.

Comment

• Vestalpatience
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by June Did Everything Right

The chapter is called Montana Golden, not Golden Montana, right?

I don't have my books in front of me at the moment, but I have a mind like a terrible trap.

As a fellow Montana searcher, I just want to point out that he could not catch those fish in that story you mentioned. And when he returns with Donnie and later Peggy neither of them enjoy it much either. So... he might have been eliminating it. Montana Golden? "No. We can't catch any of these stupid fish. No matter how many times I come back here." Add on to that the striking out poem that ends the story. He struck out in Montana. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I too wish it was Montana, friend, but either Forrest is nuts or he's lying about Wyoming. I can't see lying about the state. Maybe the finder, but not the state.
                              It would make sense to change the state- it was used in the court dealings to diminish the "solves" from the people suing him.
                              It isn't nuts or even that weird.
                              Also, Shiloh is very much a grown 31 year old man- if he did not want to be involved with the Chase, he could have asked his grandfather to not mention him in 32 scrapbooks and attend every book signing over the past 10 years. You have no issue using June's name in you handle, maybe you need to reconsider your own.

VP

Comment

Banned
                                • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Vestalpatience

It would make sense to change the state- it was used in the court dealings to diminish the "solves" from the people suing him.
                                It isn't nuts or even that weird.
                                Also, Shiloh is very much a grown 31 year old man- if he did not want to be involved with the Chase, he could have asked his grandfather to not mention him in 32 scrapbooks and attend every book signing over the past 10 years. You have no issue using June's name in you handle, maybe you need to reconsider your own.

VP
                                June=Month in my name. Plus, she's passed away and not someone searchers are involved in stalking. I spoke with Forrest about my name and he had no problem with it. Unfortunately, I never asked him if he would care if people involved his grandson in their insane theories. I guess in your book, if the grandfather mentions someone 32 times in writing that he deserves to be dragged into your theories and scrutinized and labeled a subject of conspiracy theories on the internet. That's on you. I think it's shitty behavior. But you're allowed to be shitty apparently, because scrapbook mentions means fair game for internet rumors. That's ridiculous.

Comment

Working...