No announcement yet.

Greetings from the Dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-I dealt in art and antiquities only as a way to finance my collecting. And look: Look. Here’s the result. One of the greatest private collections of art and antiquities in the world. These aren’t just things. Every piece in here has a story, a memory for me. How I first saw it, how I fell in love with it, how I acquired it. Each piece is part of me.-

That's ff 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by SangreDeCristo View Post
      I loved that book along with Tyrannosaurus Canyon, the Gideon Crew series, Nora Kelly, and Pendergast series, all great! I think there’s a rumor of maybe a new book coming soon that has something to do with Victorio Peak. That’s not surprising considering the immense amount of mystery and cover-up surrounding that legend. Fiction or non-fiction, It seems like no matter what, there is always a deadly curse that is somehow associated with buried treasure. At least that’s the common theme that I have noticed.
      That will make for some good reading.

Comment

"I had to figure out what to do with my collection. I sure as hell wasn’t going to give it to a museum or some university for a bunch of Tweedle dums to gloat over. And I wasn’t going to let some scummy auction house or dealer get rich from all my hard work, break it up and disperse it to the four corners after I spent a lifetime assembling it."

This also sounds like Forrest to me. We know he didn't think highly of academics and enjoyed messing with them, he also did not like see-but-no-touch museums. I think this hunt was meant to be a fun way to ensure that his collection would fall into the right hands. Once Forrest learned of the discovery, what if he didn't like the way the Finder acquired the treasure and wanted to thwart the Finder's plan to divide up and sell the contents for example? Considering what we know of the ending thus far, how could Forrest have maintained control? One way would be by inventing a duplicate Finder. The real Finder wouldn't want to come forward and dispute Forrest's claim because he would be outed. In the end, I am sure that Forrest made his wishes known to someone, somewhere whether in the form of a legal document or family member. I guess we will have to wait patiently until we hear more...
        Last edited by Goldilocks; 09-16-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
          "I had to figure out what to do with my collection. I sure as hell wasn’t going to give it to a museum or some university for a bunch of Tweedle dums to gloat over. And I wasn’t going to let some scummy auction house or dealer get rich from all my hard work, break it up and disperse it to the four corners after I spent a lifetime assembling it."

This also sounds like Forrest to me. We know he didn't think highly of academics and enjoyed messing with them, he also did not like see-but-no-touch museums. I think this hunt was meant to be a fun way to ensure that his collection would fall into the right hands. Once Forrest learned of the discovery, what if he didn't like the way the Finder acquired the treasure and wanted to thwart the Finder's plan to divide up and sell the contents for example? Considering what we know of the ending thus far, how could Forrest have maintained control? One way would be by inventing a duplicate Finder. The real Finder wouldn't want to come forward and dispute Forrest's claim because he would be outed. In the end, I am sure that Forrest made his wishes known to someone, somewhere whether in the form of a legal document or family member. I guess we will have to wait patiently until we hear more...
          No, I think it's over. I think Forrest got consumed from the inside out. The cancer was just the beginning. The end was when he couldn't sustain the life anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Steamer View Post

No, I think it's over. I think Forrest got consumed from the inside out. The cancer was just the beginning. The end was when he couldn't sustain the life anymore.
            Yes, it's totally over. I just meant in terms of a legacy of sorts, where he would want the chest etc.

Comment

Welcome to the beginning of the rest of the story. The Esoteric Codex. As above, so below. As within, so without.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post

Very interesting Goldilocks.

Comment

Originally posted by SangreDeCristo View Post
                  Welcome to the beginning of the rest of the story. The Esoteric Codex. As above, so below. As within, so without.
                  That's a mouthful with relatively few words.

Comment

I used the culper code it was named after
                    culpeper co Virginia
                    gazette ,artillery, agent ,and Ralph Lauren is clothier 109
                    Last edited by Old blue; 09-17-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

page 9 of The Codex written by Douglas Preston, the author originally from MA, who now divides his time between New Mexico and ME (an east coast kind of guy):
                      “Acknowledgements”
                      “ There is one person above all others who must be thanked for the existence of this novel, and that is my good friend Forrest Fenn—collector, scholar, and publisher. I will never forget that lunch of ours, many years ago in the Dragon Room of the Pink Adobe, when you told me this curious story—and thereby gave me the idea for this novel. I hope you feel I have done the idea justice.
                      Having mentioned Forrest, I feel it necessary to make one thing clear: My character Maxwell Broadbent is a complete and total fictional creation. In terms of personality, ethics, character, and family values, the two men could not be more different, a fact I wish to emphasize...”

oh it’s clearly emphasized alright. The dragon bracelet brings the story full-circle. You shall see.

from “The Finder” :
                      “Alas, I’m a millennial and have student loans to pay off, so it wouldn’t be prudent to continue to own the Fenn Treasure. And at the end of the day, for all our similarities, Forrest and I couldn’t be less alike when it comes to collecting.”

Comment

Working...
                      X