Is the LS arrogant or cocky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the LS arrogant or cocky?

The LS (if there ever was one) is quickly fading into chase afterthought. After all, they are presumably not the finder, and have become largely irrelevant. On second thought, they could have significant relevance remaining IF they had the correct solve to the poem AND were willing to share it with the rest of us. However this idea is based on one key stipulation: that they knew they were correct, because FF confirmed their solution somehow. But, do you think the LS is arrogant? Cocky, maybe? Is that why they don't share it with us? I would argue that the LS strongly suspects that they had the correct solution, but have not had any meaningful confirmation from FF. I base this conclusion on the historical precedence that FF does not provide confirmations to searchers regarding their solves via email. But surely FF knows who the LS is and should be able to respond to that person now that the chase is over. I suspect that even if a persistent LS were to call him, and if FF was kind enough to entertain a question on the phone, he may not be willing to provide confirmation to the LS, and may even deny a correctly presented solve in the interest of preserving "plausible deniability." In this way, FF can keep control of the narrative. So I ask, if the LS solved the poem, and has the correct solution, what could the LS possibly be arrogant or cocky about? They have nothing. This may not always be the case. Confident, yes, but I don't believe they are cocky. I suspect that up until now, they have even been robbed of the personal satisfaction of knowing they solved the unsolvable poem. At least I'm sure they have great memories of adventure (vacation) in the Rocky Mountains. We can all give thanks FF for that.

Originally posted by Wade Van Ostrand View Post
    The LS (if there ever was one) is quickly fading into chase afterthought. After all, they are presumably not the finder, and have become largely irrelevant. On second thought, they could have significant relevance remaining IF they had the correct solve to the poem AND were willing to share it with the rest of us. However this idea is based on one key stipulation: that they knew they were correct, because FF confirmed their solution somehow. But, do you think the LS is arrogant? Cocky, maybe? Is that why they don't share it with us? I would argue that the LS strongly suspects that they had the correct solution, but have not had any meaningful confirmation from FF. I base this conclusion on the historical precedence that FF does not provide confirmations to searchers regarding their solves via email. But surely FF knows who the LS is and should be able to respond to that person now that the chase is over. I suspect that even if a persistent LS were to call him, and if FF was kind enough to entertain a question on the phone, he may not be willing to provide confirmation to the LS, and may even deny a correctly presented solve in the interest of preserving "plausible deniability." In this way, FF can keep control of the narrative. So I ask, if the LS solved the poem, and has the correct solution, what could the LS possibly be arrogant or cocky about? They have nothing. This may not always be the case. Confident, yes, but I don't believe they are cocky. I suspect that up until now, they have even been robbed of the personal satisfaction of knowing they solved the unsolvable poem. At least I'm sure they have great memories of adventure (vacation) in the Rocky Mountains. We can all give thanks FF for that.
    My guess is that the LS is arrogant, cocky, and confident regarding having a correct solve . . . and is planning another search trip, even though the timing of it has not yet been decided . . . thanks to COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

My guess is that the LS is arrogant, cocky, and confident regarding having a correct solve . . . and is planning another search trip, even though the timing of it has not yet been decided . . . thanks to COVID.
      Why would they plan another search trip? The chase is, by all appearances, over. I don’t think there will be any more BOTG’s. The only things left to find are black toenails and heel blisters after removing one’s boots.

Comment

There is no LS. Only a finder and searchers. If he was searching, then he would still be lost.

Comment

Putting aside titles, could the male shy guy be quiet and reserved, but also cocky and arrogant?. Maybe also we'll rounded? Well versed in gangster life plus an academic as well? Is that possible? Maybe he understands the double edge sword because he's carried one his whole life. He knows the consequences of being brave and in the woods vs being in the wood triangle. Sorry folks, the Moose out front should have told you.
          Last edited by Tornado; 08-02-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I was prepared to go BOTG to confirm or kill my solution when I'm in Montana next week. But Forrest ruined that plan by "agreeing" with the finder that the two of them "should reveal" that "the treasure" was "found" in Wyoming. (Just a few conditionals there.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post
              I was prepared to go BOTG to confirm or kill my solution when I'm in Montana next week. But Forrest ruined that plan by "agreeing" with the finder that the two of them "should reveal" that "the treasure" was "found" in Wyoming. (Just a few conditionals there.)
              I see your conditionals and raise you one. Parts of Montana and the Yellowstone area are still part of the Wyoming craton. Good luck to you.

Comment

I see your conditionals and raise you one. Parts of Montana and the Yellowstone area are still part of the Wyoming craton. Good luck to you.
                True...
                Attached Files
                „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
                G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Sure he would. There is still the rest of the story to tell that obviously the finder or forrest does not want to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post

Sure he would. There is still the rest of the story to tell that obviously the finder or forrest does not want to tell.
                    Well I think there is a part of the story that can't be told, it might undermine a part of the solution...that's why there is drama now.

Comment

Yup....and it's complicated..."you should always tell the truth, but you should not always tell ALL of the truth".

So much more to share...just still wondering if I should.

I can hear the bells...should I answer?

Peace,

Orion/Embroidery

Comment

Forrest isn't going to confirm to an individual that they were second. I believe he did confirm that someone else was close when he told ABC news two days after the announcement that the solve would likely be revealed eventually, even though the finder won't reveal it and neither will Forrest.

This should not be a surprise. Forrest told us over 5 years ago several had solved the first two clues and on had maybe solved 4, and that's only based on the people who told him their solve. How many more people had parts correct without telling Forrest or came along in the intervening five years? It's still a small fraction of everyone, but there are multiple people that could contribute.

You assume it hasn't been partially or fully shared already and that other searchers would instantly recognize it as "the solve" without confirmation from Forrest. After reading such a solve, should one be cocky or confident that they too now know? Cocky, no, because they didnt figure anything out. They would be confident only if they saw what Forrest, the finder, and a few select others(LS) saw. Presumably they would go BOTG based on what they saw, if the treasure were still out there. If not, they never had a shot at finding it in the first place.

So at this point, we don't know if it's a quirky puzzle that only a few were ever prone to recognize the solution or something where everyone is going to have an "aha, why couldn't I see that" moment when they see it. Forrest alone can flip the open mind switch in a few people's brains to see the solution if he says "this is it.". Hindsight is powerful that way. But Forrest should not have to do that for a great puzzle.

If you're going to ask why doesn't the LS share with us, you ought to also ask, why don't we have open minds to see the solution without Forrest telling us what it is? The old aphorism "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" applies.
                        Last edited by CRM114; 08-02-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

Forrest isn't going to confirm to an individual that they were second. I believe he did confirm that someone else was close when he told ABC news two days after the announcement that the solve would likely be revealed eventually, even though the finder won't reveal it and neither will Forrest.

This should not be a surprise. Forrest told us over 5 years ago several had solved the first two clues and on had maybe solved 4, and that's only based on the people who told him their solve. How many more people had parts correct without telling Forrest or came along in the intervening five years? It's still a small fraction of everyone, but there are multiple people that could contribute.

You assume it hasn't been partially or fully shared already and that other searchers would instantly recognize it as "the solve" without confirmation from Forrest. After reading such a solve, should one be cocky or confident that they too now know? Cocky, no, because they didnt figure anything out. They would be confident only if they saw what Forrest, the finder, and a few select others(LS) saw. Presumably they would go BOTG based on what they saw, if the treasure were still out there. If not, they never had a shot at finding it in the first place.

So at this point, we don't know if it's a quirky puzzle that only a few were ever prone to recognize the solution or something where everyone is going to have an "aha, why couldn't I see that" moment when they see it. Forrest alone can flip the open mind switch in a few people's brains to see the solution if he says "this is it.". Hindsight is powerful that way. But Forrest should not have to do that for a great puzzle.

If you're going to ask why doesn't the LS share with us, you ought to also ask, why don't we have open minds to see the solution without Forrest telling us what it is? The old aphorism "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" applies.
                          I don't think the solution is out there to be found. That's just my opinion. Though, there are some great solutions out there. My guess is that the LS still doesn't want to post it at this point in the "game." I wish they w(c)ould.

Comment

Originally posted by elperro View Post

I don't think the solution is out there to be found. That's just my opinion. Though, there are some great solutions out there. My guess is that the LS still doesn't want to post it at this point in the "game." I wish they w(c)ould.
                            I think it's actually out there, at least partially - enough to know the area. I'll even go so far as to say some people were publishing the first two or three clues years before the find, and perhaps not even they realized what they had, or they would not have published them. They deduced the basic logic, but didn't see the "wow" factor, so they threw it out to see what others thought.
                            Last edited by CRM114; 08-02-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

arrogant ...

a-

rogue-

gant

Click image for larger version  Name:	gant def.PNG Views:	0 Size:	18.0 KB ID:	184692

cocky ...

cock-E

Click image for larger version  Name:	cock definition.PNG Views:	0 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	184694

E-
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	E def.PNG Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	184695

Click image for larger version  Name:	existential quantifier.PNG Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	184693

So, either ...

a svelt, poorly-fed scoundrel, perhaps with Euro roots (and maybe even a grating Cock-Knee accent)

-OR-

a slightly twisted, lone-Rooster?

Who nose. Only thyme Will-him Tell.

Perhaps the ending we've all been giving is really just an Overture ...

Comment

Working...
                              X