Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Theory on Forrest's Internal Timeline

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Theory on Forrest's Internal Timeline

    Do you think it's fair to say that Forrest wanted this found much sooner than it actually was found?

    I say that because I can't imagine designing a puzzle and then generating so much additional content over the course of ten years. Two more books, hundreds of scrapbooks, all the mail and other interviews. I think he was pushing this thing for resolution all along and that the comments about it lasting X number of years were just him joking around.

    If you wanted a treasure hunt to go on beyond your own lifetime, you'd just release the book and go into seclusion and let people work on it. On the other hand, perhaps all the extra materials were designed to create a cosmic cloud of confusion and to prolong the length of the chase.

    What are your thoughts? Did he ever really intend it to last beyond his lifetime or was he pushing for resolution the entire time?

    I think just based upon his silence now that we can all assume that yes there were hints in those scrapbooks. Otherwise, I'm sure he's got one more crazy thing to say to us but hasn't. I also now realize that none of the media he did was for his own benefit but perhaps to bring closure to this hunt. If he wanted the media attention on himself, he really bungled it up at the end.

    It's odd, looking at it now. I think he figured it would last three years, for example, but it went on way longer than that.

  • #2
    Hmmm...
    Dear friends,  I am a bit tired of all the negativity right now... C19, lawsuits, conspiracies... I really don't wanna read about those anymore... So
    „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
    G. C. Lichtenberg

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post
      Do you think it's fair to say that Forrest wanted this found much sooner than it actually was found?

      I say that because I can't imagine designing a puzzle and then generating so much additional content over the course of ten years. Two more books, hundreds of scrapbooks, all the mail and other interviews. I think he was pushing this thing for resolution all along and that the comments about it lasting X number of years were just him joking around.

      If you wanted a treasure hunt to go on beyond your own lifetime, you'd just release the book and go into seclusion and let people work on it. On the other hand, perhaps all the extra materials were designed to create a cosmic cloud of confusion and to prolong the length of the chase.

      What are your thoughts? Did he ever really intend it to last beyond his lifetime or was he pushing for resolution the entire time?

      I think just based upon his silence now that we can all assume that yes there were hints in those scrapbooks. Otherwise, I'm sure he's got one more crazy thing to say to us but hasn't. I also now realize that none of the media he did was for his own benefit but perhaps to bring closure to this hunt. If he wanted the media attention on himself, he really bungled it up at the end.

      It's odd, looking at it now. I think he figured it would last three years, for example, but it went on way longer than that.
      I think he was enjoying the attention. He put in one of his books that the people closest to him no longer want to listen to what he has to say. On the other hand he had people fawning over him just to get some kind of info and sometimes worse. To try and snare him.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post
        Do you think it's fair to say that Forrest wanted this found much sooner than it actually was found?

        I say that because I can't imagine designing a puzzle and then generating so much additional content over the course of ten years. Two more books, hundreds of scrapbooks, all the mail and other interviews. I think he was pushing this thing for resolution all along and that the comments about it lasting X number of years were just him joking around.

        If you wanted a treasure hunt to go on beyond your own lifetime, you'd just release the book and go into seclusion and let people work on it. On the other hand, perhaps all the extra materials were designed to create a cosmic cloud of confusion and to prolong the length of the chase.

        What are your thoughts? Did he ever really intend it to last beyond his lifetime or was he pushing for resolution the entire time?

        I think just based upon his silence now that we can all assume that yes there were hints in those scrapbooks. Otherwise, I'm sure he's got one more crazy thing to say to us but hasn't. I also now realize that none of the media he did was for his own benefit but perhaps to bring closure to this hunt. If he wanted the media attention on himself, he really bungled it up at the end.

        It's odd, looking at it now. I think he figured it would last three years, for example, but it went on way longer than that.
        I think he loved the cat and mouse game, but the crazies who brought in the negatives pushing him to lend more weight to the clues in new books etc.

        On the other hand, a small part in me thinks he wanted to be around to witness our marvel gaze.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post

          I think he loved the cat and mouse game, but the crazies who brought in the negatives pushing him to lend more weight to the clues in new books etc.

          On the other hand, a small part in me thinks he wanted to be around to witness our marvel gaze.
          Our gaze doesn't seem to be very "marvel", does it? Hopefully, Forrest will still be around when this hunt truly ends in a more marvelous way.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by June Did Everything Right View Post
            Do you think it's fair to say that Forrest wanted this found much sooner than it actually was found?

            It's odd, looking at it now. I think he figured it would last three years, for example, but it went on way longer than that.
            I think Forrest would have known when he created this that he couldn't really control when it ended, and he was probably okay with that uncertainty. It's impossible to judge the difficulty of anything like this when you set it up. You just need to look at the history of similar projects to see that most of them go on way longer than the creator intended. I made a book with clues and it made me aware that the nightmare of any treasure hunt setter is that you put a big pile of effort into something, and then it's solved in just a week! So most will veer on the side of making it hard to solve. Fenn's answer when the chest was found was that he was 'halfway sad and halfway glad' so that suggests to me a bit of relief that it was actually soveable(!) but perhaps he didn't quite want it to end.

            I'm not sure that he gave too much away in all the additional stuff, the scrap books to me just seem like slightly self-indulgent ramblings about bits of his life (sorry Fenn!) and of course every searcher is going to read things into them, but what if he never intended that? What if, just like the majority of his memoirs, and even TTOTC book too, he just thinks he's had an interesting life and that people want to hear his thoughts and stories? I'm sure his writings were not all about the hunt to him, even if they're seen that way to his searcher audience. The answers to questions on Mysterious Writings and bits like that do seem like a much more direct way to veer searchers in certain directions. The big takeaway I get from all those is his constant refrain of stick to the poem, and keep things simple. That strikes me as a desperate message from a man who gets endless email solves full of tea anecdotes and complex anagrams.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't think you can rule out that he over-engineered it - we've been given wyoming as the state. I've yet to see a convincing backwardly engineered solve for this. (if indeed it was part of the solve)

              Comment


              • #8
                After reading TFTW and OUAW, I came to the conclusion that he indeed wanted the treasure found. Those books were just chock full of hints. I'm sure some of them were misdirection, but a lot of them seemed to lead to very plausible solutions for some of the clues and others seemed to act as confirmers for clues if you already solved them. At least that was my impression.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

                  Our gaze doesn't seem to be very "marvel", does it? Hopefully, Forrest will still be around when this hunt truly ends in a more marvelous way.
                  Well maybe not, if he only play's the first Ace. Turn the second and we might end up with a real Pow Wow!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think that when Forrest came up with his puzzle/riddle and at the time that he actually hid the chest, he truly believed it might take folks 900 years to crack it. I can’t find this via a Google search anymore, but at one time Fenn said something along the lines that he did not know about Google Earth at the time that he hid the treasure and he did not anticipate that people would be using that as a tool to help them explore the geography of the Rocky Mountains. In his original blueprint for the chase, his assumption was that the only way for folks to collect geographical information of the physical domain of the Rocky Mountains north of Santa Fe was by physically experiencing it with their own senses. If Google Earth (or similar tech) did not exist, I believe it likely would have taken 900 years.

                    Solving this puzzle was highly dependent on sight (the human sense of vision) and actually seeing and recognizing the geographical features described by the clues in the poem.

                    My two sense...
                    Last edited by Longfellow; 08-01-2020, 11:09 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Longfellow View Post
                      I think that when Forrest came up with his puzzle/riddle and at the time that he actually hid the chest, he truly believed it might take folks 900 years to crack it. I can’t find this via a Google search anymore, but at one time Fenn said something along the lines that he did not know about Google Earth at the time that he hid the treasure and he did not anticipate that people would be using that as a tool to help them explore the geography of the Rocky Mountains. In his original blueprint for the chase, his assumption was that the only way for folks to collect geographical information of the physical domain of the Rocky Mountains north of Santa Fe was by physically experiencing it with their own senses. If Google Earth (or similar tech) did not exist, I believe it likely would have taken 900 years.

                      Solving this puzzle was highly dependent on sight (the human sense of vision) and actually seeing and recognizing the geographical features described by the clues in the poem.

                      My two sense...
                      Im looking for a pocket watch that stopped, a giant butterfly, a sheep playing golf with a book under its suntanned arm and a deep wet hole. Preferably the last one first (pun intended)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post

                        Im looking for a pocket watch that stopped, a giant butterfly, a sheep playing golf with a book under its suntanned arm and a deep wet hole. Preferably the last one first (pun intended)
                        I am confident that if you haven’t already found some of those using Google Earth, someone else has, and it’s part of their perfect solve as the Lead Searcher. Also, for the last item on your list, check the “Memes Only” thread, you might be able to find something there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Longfellow View Post

                          I am confident that if you haven’t already found some of those using Google Earth, someone else has, and it’s part of their perfect solve as the Lead Searcher. Also, for the last item on your list, check the “Memes Only” thread, you might be able to find something there.
                          I have no idea what any of that means, but will take your word for it. I was just watching a crazy movie and wrote down what I saw.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Quest View Post

                            I think he was enjoying the attention. He put in one of his books that the people closest to him no longer want to listen to what he has to say. On the other hand he had people fawning over him just to get some kind of info and sometimes worse. To try and snare him.
                            Didn't Fenn when answering a question regarding why he interacts with searchers reply with ".......it's all I have left." ?????

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X