My Wyoming solve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macahol View Post

That's definitely a unique image and I can see why you would think it looks like a bear and why you would take notice of it as a potential landmark. The only thing is that I'm not sure where the "home" part comes in. Even if you make the assumption that Brown relates to brown bears, a bear's home is its den, or Soldier Field or something. I don't think Forrest would chose the phase "home of brown" if he were just using that as a landmark to map the location of the treasure.
    I saw the image as its own home. Meaning that the home is the location of the bear. That image lives right there on that rock.

The image also reminds me of the Dr Coulter story about the bear smiling at him from across the river.

If you don't mind, where is that image situated in relation to your WWWH? Did you come across it because we were in the process of taking the canyon down and it seemed to be where it ought to be? Or did you just find it in the general area where you were searching and are trying to make it fit into your solve?
    I don't want to fill up this thread, so here is the location of my solve for you: https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...e-was-my-solve

Update: And I found this image only after starting with WWWH.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12364.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	184121
    Last edited by GoldenFrog; 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I added the ideas from the other HoB thread into your document.

I'm also skeptical of any animal based HoB ideas. I think its a reach to think that they'd be capitalized and any "home" you would find is going to be too general. I think Forrest is pointing to a very specific place and seems to have pretty much said as much.
      Thanks for adding the places. I think I removed the ones from outside Wyoming... It would be good to get a long list together and see which stand out. I guess I'll do a separate post and see if a few people will contribute.

Comment

I've hear the pinyon quote and honestly wonder if it wasn't deliberate misdirection: he really was talking about pinion nuts, i.e., its near a road where cars pass regularly.

The Brown quote (not sure if didn't actually say "if I told you where the home of Brown was...") has always intrigued me. I wonder if it would have been possible to simply canvass the area and find the treasure without some of the later clues if you knew the correct HoB.
        The pinyon nut comment was taken from a video. For all we know it could have been spelled pinion. But that doesn't change the fact that it was misdirection. He said "I'd smell pine needles, pinyon nuts and sage". Why didn't he say something like "I'd smell pistons, pinion, nuts, and bolts"?
        Last edited by Redneck Girl; 07-31-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

The pinyon nut comment was taken from a video. For all we know it could have been spelled pinion. But that doesn't change the fact that it was misdirection. He said "I'd smell pine needles, pinyon nuts and sage". Why didn't he say something like "I'd smell pistons, pinion, nuts, and bolts"?
          But didn't he retract the pinion nuts statement? So then I suppose searchers are left wondering if the retraction or the original statement are the clue... Which is all very confusing, but clearly, in hindsight it was the retraction.

Comment

Thanks. I added the ideas from the other HoB thread into your document.

I'm also skeptical of any animal based HoB ideas. I think its a reach to think that they'd be capitalized and any "home" you would find is going to be too general. I think Forrest is pointing to a very specific place and seems to have pretty much said as much.
            My solve has the same results whether I choose one of my hoB choices or the other hoB choice. One of them suggests something kinda small, the other something kinda large. Good luck to all.

Comment

Perhaps not in the poem, but I think there was a lot of intentional misleading that made searchers believe the treasure was in NM. For example, his statement about if he was standing where the treasure was located he’d smell pinyon nuts. People who were already searching in WY/MT before he made that statement may have been shaken, but by that time they were so convinced of their area that they were able to blow it off. Anyone who was already searching in NM took it as confirmation that the treasure was in NM. Anyone who started the Chase after 2015 (when the statement came out) took it as a hint that the treasure was not in WY/MT. I can point to other things, but I’ve already mentioned some of them.
              The mention about pinyon nuts was in a longer sentence. You should study the entire sentence if FF's comment has any bearing on your solve. I ignored it all, because FF was so vague (imagine that).

Comment

How were we supposed to know which of his statements to believe and which not to believe? Were we supposed to believe that if we knew who Brown was we could go right to the chest, but at the same time we were not supposed to believe the pinyon nut statement?
                When FF made that "go right to the chest" comment, he was speaking to one person (not the entire search community). Jeez.

Comment

I think that's a misquote. The quote I saw included the word "or", but I'm not going to keep arguing about it, because it's not an important hint or clue as far as I'm concerned. Just like saying something
                  about "seeing animals". I could stand on the sidewalk in front of the Empire State Building and see animals (even non-human ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

I think that's a misquote. The quote I saw included the word "or", but I'm not going to keep arguing about it, because it's not an important hint or clue as far as I'm concerned. Just like saying something
                    about "seeing animals". I could stand on the sidewalk in front of the Empire State Building and see animals (even non-human ones).
                    Agree. Fenn’s blueprint for the treasure hunt was all contained between the covers of his first memoir, TTotC. He didn’t hide a treasure chest and then write scrapbooks, do interviews, or drop random ATF comments to provide the clues for how to find it, he wrote a poem with 9 clues for that purpose. The poem was included inside the memoir, which also contains hints to help you figure out the clues and all by design (the blueprint). Spending a bunch of time analyzing post-blueprint comments is a waste of time if the goal is coming up with a viable, integrated solution to the poem’s clues.

Comment

Originally posted by Longfellow View Post

Agree. Fenn’s blueprint for the treasure hunt was all contained between the covers of his first memoir, TTotC. He didn’t hide a treasure chest and then write scrapbooks, do interviews, or drop random ATF comments to provide the clues for how to find it, he wrote a poem with 9 clues for that purpose. The poem was included inside the memoir, which also contains hints to help you figure out the clues and all by design (the blueprint). Spending a bunch of time analyzing post-blueprint comments is a waste of time if the goal is coming up with a viable, integrated solution to the poem’s clues.
                      I realize that now. I think there was a lot of misdirection in the ATF's. He always had loopholes like "pinyon nuts don't smell", so he could get out of things he said. If all I had to go on was the poem and TTOTC, I would have most likely been searching in or near YNP.
                      The ATF's were what made this different than a normal treasure hunt. I'm not sure why there was all this misdirection. Early on didn't he say something to the effect that the treasure might be found sooner than he thought? Maybe there were searchers who were close back then and he didn't want it found that soon.
                      Last edited by Redneck Girl; 08-01-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I realize that now. I think there was a lot of misdirection in the ATF's. He always had loopholes like "pinyon nuts don't smell", so he could get out of things he said. If all I had to go on was the poem and TTOTC, I would have most likely been searching in or near YNP.
                        The ATF's we're what made this different than a normal treasure hunt. I'm not sure why there was all this misdirection. Early on didn't he say something to the effect that the treasure might be found sooner than he thought? Maybe there were searchers who were close back then and he didn't want it found that soon.
                        In my opinion, some of Fenn’s ATFs were put out there intentionally, in a spirit of fun (or not) as subterfuge, but he is also VERY prone to making verbal mistakes, which is why he MOSTLY tried to stay on his rote script for most of his interviews and commentaries. I will acknowledge that some ATF information can be useful as a test set for a solid poem/memoir-based solve as long as you don’t take it too seriously. You have to be VERY careful with that. I’ve mostly seen ATF misused as foundational to folks’ solutions which is just expensive folly.

Comment

Working...
                        X