My Wyoming solve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Longfellow View Post

I can't disagree with that. With regard to grizzly bears as home of Brown, there will need to be some justification for Fenn's capitalization of Brown. I'm guessing it is somehow related to a proper noun (a named person, place, or thing), or a reference thereof.
    Here's another quote from MW 2015:

Mr. Fenn, Have the rules of capitalization been properly followed throughout the entire poem? ~ ChicagoDave

Whose Rules, ChicagoDave?f

There are probably a lot of ways this can be interpreted.

Comment

Maybe the rules were from this - Chicago Manual of Style capitalization rules. Chicago style is based on The Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS for short). A memory chip or RAM. Or it could be APA or MLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy View Post
        Maybe the rules were from this - Chicago Manual of Style capitalization rules. Chicago style is based on The Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS for short). A memory chip or RAM. Or it could be APA or MLA.
        Maybe. It's interesting that you made that connection.

I had a different take on it.
        Many have pointed out that Forrest is a maverick who likes to break the rules. People seem to think that it would have been ok for him to break the rules by hiding a two million dollar treasure in a National Park, while at the same time it wouldn't have been ok for him to break the rules of capitalization.
        Just a thought.

Comment

I'd be happy with Fenn breaking the rules of capitalization if it was a clever clue, but he's always suggested there were no tricks or traps in the poem. In my mind to to add a B for a brown that was regularly not capitalised would be verging on the tricksy side of things! It's not impossible, and if he regularly capitalises those Brown Trout kind of words in his writings then it would make more sense.

As for grizzlies bears being HOB, didn't he say:

Who is Brown?

If I told you that, you’d go right to the chest.

To me that suggests it means a more precise location. We also have the luxury of knowing its Wyoming, if the answer was grizzly bears anywhere in Yellowstone it might be an even bigger area?

For what it's worth I started a list of HOBs that anyone can edit or add to - feel free to suggest ideas. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Maybe. It's interesting that you made that connection.

I had a different take on it.
            Many have pointed out that Forrest is a maverick who likes to break the rules. People seem to think that it would have been ok for him to break the rules by hiding a two million dollar treasure in a National Park, while at the same time it wouldn't have been ok for him to break the rules of capitalization.
            Just a thought.
            Two excellently made points RG, but (and this is only my opinion), falsely capitalizing a word in his treasure clue poem goes a step beyond making it hard to figure out. It's just intentional deception (i.e., lying). Hard for me to believe that was part of his blueprint.

Comment

Originally posted by tootingjo View Post

For what it's worth I started a list of HOBs that anyone can edit or add to - feel free to suggest ideas. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
              Thanks. I added the ideas from the other HoB thread into your document.

I'm also skeptical of any animal based HoB ideas. I think its a reach to think that they'd be capitalized and any "home" you would find is going to be too general. I think Forrest is pointing to a very specific place and seems to have pretty much said as much.

Comment

Two excellently made points RG, but (and this is only my opinion), falsely capitalizing a word in his treasure clue poem goes a step beyond making it hard to figure out. It's just intentional deception (i.e., lying). Hard for me to believe that was part of his blueprint.
                Perhaps not in the poem, but I think there was a lot of intentional misleading that made searchers believe the treasure was in NM. For example, his statement about if he was standing where the treasure was located he’d smell pinyon nuts. People who were already searching in WY/MT before he made that statement may have been shaken, but by that time they were so convinced of their area that they were able to blow it off. Anyone who was already searching in NM took it as confirmation that the treasure was in NM. Anyone who started the Chase after 2015 (when the statement came out) took it as a hint that the treasure was not in WY/MT. I can point to other things, but I’ve already mentioned some of them.

Comment

As for grizzlies bears being HOB, didn't he say:

Who is Brown?

If I told you that, you’d go right to the chest.

To me that suggests it means a more precise location. We also have the luxury of knowing its Wyoming, if the answer was grizzly bears anywhere in Yellowstone it might be an even bigger area?

How were we supposed to know which of his statements to believe and which not to believe? Were we supposed to believe that if we knew who Brown was we could go right to the chest, but at the same time we were not supposed to believe the pinyon nut statement?

Comment

Perhaps not in the poem, but I think there was a lot of intentional misleading that made searchers believe the treasure was in NM. For example, his statement about if he was standing where the treasure was located he’d smell pinyon nuts. People who were already searching in WY/MT before he made that statement may have been shaken, but by that time they were so convinced of their area that they were able to blow it off. Anyone who was already searching in NM took it as confirmation that the treasure was in NM. Anyone who started the Chase after 2015 (when the statement came out) took it as a hint that the treasure was not in WY/MT. I can point to other things, but I’ve already mentioned some of them.
                    I agree entirely. Forrest stated, honestly I believe, that the "poem is straightforward, with no subterfuge in sight." But outside of the poem, I think there's been plenty of subterfuge. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I wish I had paid less attention to some of his public ATF (After the Fact) comments to the search community.

Comment

How were we supposed to know which of his statements to believe and which not to believe? Were we supposed to believe that if we knew who Brown was we could go right to the chest, but at the same time we were not supposed to believe the pinyon nut statement?
                      I've hear the pinyon quote and honestly wonder if it wasn't deliberate misdirection: he really was talking about pinion nuts, i.e., its near a road where cars pass regularly.

The Brown quote (not sure if didn't actually say "if I told you where the home of Brown was...") has always intrigued me. I wonder if it would have been possible to simply canvass the area and find the treasure without some of the later clues if you knew the correct HoB.

Comment

I agree entirely. Forrest stated, honestly I believe, that the "poem is straightforward, with no subterfuge in sight." But outside of the poem, I think there's been plenty of subterfuge. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I wish I had paid less attention to some of his public ATF (After the Fact) comments to the search community.
                        I agree completely. If I only had the poem and TTOTC to go by, I would have most likely been searching in or near the Yellowstone area. It seems like many of the ATFs were deliberately designed to steer people away from this area. I think those searchers who got involved early-on, before the ATFs started to come out, had a huge advantage.

I stated previously that I thought hoB could not be a structure. I've changed my mind. Considering that all the "not associated with a structure" statements were ATFs, I'd now take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Has anyone got a good HOB for Wyoming? I haven't seen one that stands out.
                          It is my belief that this is the hoB.

This photo was taken in person on Firehole Canyon Dr.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	184092

Here's one from Google Maps.

Name:	20200608_115945.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	184093

And at a distance in person.

Name:	20200602_083044.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	184094

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenFrog View Post

It is my belief that this is the hoB.

This photo was taken in person on Firehole Canyon Dr.
                            How exactly does the formation translate to HoB?

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post

How exactly does the formation translate to HoB?
                              I believe f saw a brown bear in that image as a child. As well, the spot where this is, is one of the best brown trout fishing in YNP. As you're standing there fishing you're looking around, and this image would have been well known by f.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenFrog View Post

I believe f saw a brown bear in that image as a child. As well, the spot where this is, is one of the best brown trout fishing in YNP. As you're standing there fishing you're looking around, and this image would have been well known by f.
                                That's definitely a unique image and I can see why you would think it looks like a bear and why you would take notice of it as a potential landmark. The only thing is that I'm not sure where the "home" part comes in. Even if you make the assumption that Brown relates to brown bears, a bear's home is its den, or Soldier Field or something. I don't think Forrest would chose the phase "home of brown" if he were just using that as a landmark to map the location of the treasure.

If you don't mind, where is that image situated in relation to your WWWH? Did you come across it because we were in the process of taking the canyon down and it seemed to be where it ought to be? Or did you just find it in the general area where you were searching and are trying to make it fit into your solve?

Comment

Working...
                                X