Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finder afraid of someone else's (almost) correct solution here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finder afraid of someone else's (almost) correct solution here?

This has crossed my mind more than a few times. I understand all the other potential craziness that comes with revealing their identity and the location. But what if it's because the finder relied heavily upon the work of others. And it would be easy to come back here and other places and find the references he used to go that last 200'. I'll admit I learned a lot and got a lot of ideas from this forum. I always expected the solution would eventually be crowd-sourced one way or another.

So what if the finder ultimately doesn't want everyone to know his solution isn't exactly that original. But instead was built upon others' solutions or partial solutions. Not taking anything away from the fact that he's the one that put it all together. Just still trying to figure out why he wants the solution to be a secret.

a Wyoming solver from beginning to end wants to know...

Originally posted by flytomoon View Post
    This has crossed my mind more than a few times. I understand all the other potential craziness that comes with revealing their identity and the location. But what if it's because the finder relied heavily upon the work of others. And it would be easy to come back here and other places and find the references he used to go that last 200'. I'll admit I learned a lot and got a lot of ideas from this forum. I always expected the solution would eventually be crowd-sourced one way or another.

So what if the finder ultimately doesn't want everyone to know his solution isn't exactly that original. But instead was built upon others' solutions or partial solutions. Not taking anything away from the fact that he's the one that put it all together. Just still trying to figure out why he wants the solution to be a secret.

I think your correct, I think giving away anymore than the state, even a partial solve will reveal the location based on whats been put forth on the forums.. the solve is all ready out there. not even so much because of stepping others toes, the location was YNP and that comes with its own st of issues.. If it were me I would just come out and say I stopped at a gas station to use the bathroom and came out and this treasure was sitting on the tailgate of my truck BUT if I had to guess a solution to Forrest Fenn's poem? then the story.. but then the potential backlash could result in revealing said individuals identity.. Maybe thought through not saying anything is the best solution.

how about this instead of an almost correct solve.. how about a correct solve was released but the person who solved it was too ill to go BOTG but published the solution and made it available to someone who saw it's worth and executed it, finding the treasure...
    Last edited by 1keyword; 07-31-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flytomoon View Post

Like a science class exam, where all the children shout out the answers one at a time and the smart one in the middle sits quiet and writes them all down? I suppose it would not matter that he was a late developer, but sure would be educated by the end of the day.
      Last edited by Space Hopper; 07-30-2020, 12:56 AM.

Comment

There are people that might try to seize some of the goodies, knowing where the goodies were found. Different locations could tempt different people, of course. Better to just not tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
          There are people that might try to seize some of the goodies, knowing where the goodies were found. Different locations could tempt different people, of course. Better to just not tell.
          I think you are right. Lots of crazies out there, circling with knives. Like the fish on my avatar........I only wanted to take him to supper!

Comment

Anyone who put the information out there is paying the price. It was their decision. Maybe the finder will reach out to them in time.

Im sure many had part of the solve. But he found it.
            Last edited by Copper; 07-30-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I don't think the finder would need to worry one bit if he did this. If the information was in the public domain anyone could do it, the smartness is entirely in the successful solving and retrieving the chest, there's no value in having an unfinished solve and not taking the final step. "I couldn't get there because X" just isn't playing the game...! That's like saying I would have won gold in Olympic ice skating if I'd actually been at the Olympics.

I always thought a clever way to tackle a solution would be to review all the first two clues posted online by anyone, anywhere, because Fenn pretty much revealed that someone had got the start of the solution right, and hinted it was on some blog.

So, it's still a mystery why the finder doesn't want to reveal the solve, but I don't think he'd be worried by one or two people saying 'that was close to mine.' My top theory for the silence is that the chest was sold with the mystery of the solve as part of the package. That adds a great deal of collectable value to the thing because uniqueness is everything in the world of art and collection. Forrest Fenn's famous treasure chest - value £1.5 million. Forrest Fenn's famous treasure chest, and be the only member of the public to understand the poem and enjoy the secret place - £2 million. Or something like that..!

Comment

Hey...the only thing that makes this a legit hunt is a full solve annotated by both the chest finder and Fenn and the release of the identity of the finder to insure no special relationship exits between Fenn and he finder. Fenn has leveraged all the searchers efforts and he owes them a clean and transparent hunt. It is only way to preserve the redemption of his legacy. Otherwise it is just a long grift.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlmlb View Post
                  Hey...the only thing that makes this a legit hunt is a full solve annotated by both the chest finder and Fenn and the release of the identity of the finder to insure no special relationship exits between Fenn and he finder. Fenn has leveraged all the searchers efforts and he owes them a clean and transparent hunt. It is only way to preserve the redemption of his legacy. Otherwise it is just a long grift.
                  Simply releasing the identity of the finder hardly insures there was no special relationship between Fenn and the finder. Please refer to string theory. I don't have the goodies, and I don't feel like I've been grifted.

Comment

It's really not that hard to figure out why the finder doesn't want the solution to be known, in my opinion. Why would anyone put their hard-earned windfall into a situation where there could be any legal question about their rightful ownership?

On the finder I.D. portion, I would personally want to remain anonymous as well. I have kids to raise. Wouldn't want a bunch of certifiable crazy-folk showing up at the house.

Comment

It seems like the "Pandora's Box" part comes not from being clever and solving the poem, but from the perceived value of the trove. People go nuts over money. It's quite sad, because a coupla mil is not
                      all that much these days.

Comment

It's quite sad, because a coupla mil is not all that much these days.
                        It would have been enough for me...

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenFrog View Post

It would have been enough for me...
                          So lets say it was found in YNP and the thing to do would have been to contact the park Superintendent and turn in the box and follow procedure to claim the treasure but this was not done.. what are the consequences? AND more importantly what is the statute of limitations, how long before it's not a prosecutable offense? there must be some limits on how long they can go after you, after all its not murder were talking about here. 2yrs? 3yrs? 10yrs? my guess is what ever that time limit is is how long we can expect to wait for the solution to the puzzle...

mean time here's another piece of my YNP solve...

Click image for larger version

Name:	i6fd81N.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	973.0 KB
ID:	184078

Comment

Simply releasing the identity of the finder hardly insures there was no special relationship between Fenn and the finder. Please refer to string theory. I don't have the goodies, and I don't feel like I've been grifted.
                            Not feeling like you've been grifted? Most marks don't or they are too embarrassed to admit they were.

You can't root out all corruption but this whole thing needs more light and less shade.

Comment

Maybe trump will drain the swamp

Comment

Working...
                              X