If Forrest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Forrest...

If Forrest wanted to offer some closure to those still curious, why tell us the state? Wouldn't everyone with a vested solve be comforted most with the announcement that the finder intends to write a book or a film or whatever? Simply saying, 'hang fire, there is a story in the works' would settle everything.

This leads me to believe that the finder doesn't intend on commercializing the solve to the public, because why would you give away your first major breakthrough of the narrative? So this further begs the question, why doesn't the finder intend on releasing the solve publicly?

The most obvious argument against this is he wants to sell the solve along with the chest to bolster the sale (revealing wyoming may even generate interest rather than reduce value). There are more conspiratorial arguments, but I'd like to know others' thoughts about this line of reasoning.
    Last edited by deano; 07-26-2020, 07:23 AM.

If he has promised simply to preserve Forrest's final resting place, what a risk Forrest took! That's not something I think he would have left to chance. Which further poses the question, was the chest an iou, fulfilled on the grounds that the finder keeps quiet or was there a promise of a second payment if he kept quiet, if so, how much?

Following all these lines of reasoning, I don't think we'll ever know the solve.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
      If Forrest wanted to offer some closure to those still curious, why tell us the state? Wouldn't everyone with a vested solve be comforted most with the announcement that the finder intends to write a book or a film or whatever? Simply saying, 'hang fire, there is a story in the works' would settle everything.

This leads me to believe that the finder doesn't intend on commercializing the solve to the public, because why would you give away your first major breakthrough of the narrative? So this further begs the question, why doesn't the finder intend on releasing the solve publicly?

The most obvious argument against this is he wants to sell the solve along with the chest to bolster the sale (revealing wyoming may even generate interest rather than reduce value). There are more conspiratorial arguments, but I'd like to know others' thoughts about this line of reasoning.
      I took the Wyoming statement as a final nail in the coffin of any hope of a book/documentary/newspaper reveal of the solve. The finder must know by now if he wants that, and it would be easy for Fenn to give mention of that, but instead we just get the state. Sadly, that has to be as good as it gets.

So the questions where is the chest now? And why is the finder so keen not to reveal the solve?

The fact the chest isn't on the open market suggests Fenn bought it back, or (less likely?) there was a secret sale. The lack of location reveal could be legal issues around the location, or possibly the chest is worth more with the solve as part of the package.

I think the way this has played out also fits the forrestfenntreasure.com story. That seemed to suggest the rich buyer of the location wanted it kept secret. Though I hope no one rakes up the pros and cons of this theory - it's been much discussed and just leads to fights!

I don't go for Fenn's 'I want to be buried there' comment as a serious point to inspire secrecy over the solve. He can't realistically expect to be buried there, and his ashes could be scattered there whether or not it's secret, or visited by Fenn fans now and then.

Anyway, still lots of inconclusive mystery... And if he want to know this solve we need to work it out ourselves.
      Last edited by tootingjo; 07-26-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

My guess is the LS/finder initially got drawn into the Chase mainly for the adventure/challenge/mystery and the treasure chest idea was just a stepping stone into their BOTG trips. Maybe they found Fenn's special spot and they found that more interesting than the chest.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
          If Forrest wanted to offer some closure to those still curious, why tell us the state?
          To appease the masses because we asked for it would be the simplest answer. The question we are left with is, why isn't it enough? The simplest answer...because it wasn't as satisfying as we thought it might have been, no matter what state you were looking in. Says more about us than the Finder or Forrest.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post

To appease the masses because we asked for it would be the simplest answer. The question we are left with is, why isn't it enough? The simplest answer...because it wasn't as satisfying as we thought it might have been, no matter what state you were looking in. Says more about us than the Finder or Forrest.
            Yes, I agree. But I'm not so much interested in the communities reaction to it, but rather the logical implications of revealing the state as opposed to something else. Can we infer anything about the intentions of Fenn and the Finder? I've argued above that it means that the solve won't be publicly or intentionally released. The waters are muddied by the legal cases however.

knowledge is valuable, scare knoweledge even more so. Fenn has revealed the state thereby incurring something of a cost to anyone with the intention of commercializing the solve story. A cost free announcement, and one that would have achieved the same effect of calming the masses in revealing the state, would have been to say "just wait". Therefore they do not intend on commercializing the story (unless the cost of giving up the state had other benefits - that is, nullifying the lawsuits) which means they are bound somehow to secrecy. So, if it wasn't put to bed: we are not going to see the solve.
            Last edited by deano; 07-26-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Revealing clues like wwwh might have revealed too much so revealing the state takes the pressure off without saying too much. I think the other reason might be to take the heat off of any lawsuits.

Comment

The ingredients are in place now for the community to take a realistic chance at solving Forrest's puzzle. I think we'll know the winning solve for what it is when we see it.

Comment

I think for that, you need the blaze, which means a botg. That would have to be a dedicated searcher or a great shared solve for someone else to be convinced enough to look for it. I hope if someone spends further time on this that they'll have some sort of payoff at the end.

Comment

Remember also that on day 1 we knew the finder wanted both his identity and the solve to stay secret. That highly implies legal issues. Only other option I can think of is that he talked a lot to everyone about where they he was going and now knows that if the solve came out people would likely ID him by the place, timing, and solve.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonSays

You assume that everybody is greedy.
                      You'll have to elaborate on that statement. I've concluded that we won't see a solve most likely because he's not greedy, if you follow the logic.

Comment

I personally believe this is all smoke and mirrors because Forrest has something up his sleeve and he will reveal more answers post mortem. I have no proof and only a gut feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                          ... Only other option I can think of is that he talked a lot to everyone about where they he was going and now knows that if the solve came out people would likely ID him by the place, timing, and solve.
                          This is a good point. Like when the winner of a lottery doesn't do the champagne thing with the big check for fear of long lost cousins crawling out of the woodwork asking for favors. That has the implication that the finder could have been active on the forums. The mods could see who has deleted their solves. Again, though, this is a supporting argument for not seeing a solve.

"I personally believe this is all smoke and mirrors because Forrest has something up his sleeve and he will reveal more answers post mortem. I have no proof and only a gut feeling." I wouldn't put anything past Fenn! My initial thought on hearing that it had been found was there was no way Fenn was finished with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post
                            I personally believe this is all smoke and mirrors because Forrest has something up his sleeve and he will reveal more answers post mortem. I have no proof and only a gut feeling.
                            Who is the "he" revealing answers post mortum of who?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonSays

Okay, then I have no idea what you meant. I took it as you saying the reasoning behind why the finder doesn't want to commercialize the find with a book, news story, etc. is because he wants to sell it with the chest to up its value.
                              Seems like a reasonable option, would that be 'greedy' ?

Im not saying anything groundbreaking here. Fenn has said already that finder is silent on the solve, we know that. But the most recent statement has certain implications, i think, that support the idea that the solve won't be sold to the public. He's either selling it privately, or keeping it totally secret.
                              Last edited by deano; 07-26-2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X