X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post
    Is this that complicated?
    Anna,
    By "this", do you mean your solution or his riddle?

If you mean your solution, then yes it's pretty complicated. If you mean his puzzle, then I don't know... but I don't think so because he said it wasn't.

One thing I do know for sure was your answer wasn't in Wyoming.

Best,
    -Slashy

Comment

15 years to come up with that jumbled mess of word salad?

Is this that complicated?
      I would think that was satire, if I didnt know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
        Taking Forrest's words at face value, literally and simply would yield infinite possibilities. Please tell me how all of you "simple" people narrowed down the location? You had to have subjectively interpreted his words at some point.
        Goldilocks,
        Taking him at his word in interviews doesn't yield infinite possibilities. In my case, I have posted my complete solve annotated with all the thoughts that led to my conclusions., which IIRC you've seen. Yes, the poem demands *some* subjective interpretation. All puzzles do. The key to me was to keep that to an absolute minimum.
        But having said that... The fact that we had to interpret the poem doesn't imply that we had to interpret every word the man ever uttered or committed to paper.

Best,
        -Slashy

*EDIT* Correction, you haven't seen my solve. Here it is:
        https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...f-my-ynp-solve
        Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-24-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus_beef40 View Post

I get what you're saying. And I think the poem was probably pretty clever, but some people here seem to elevate Forrest to the level of some genius savant..or even an omniscient demi-God.

Someone posted here a week or so ago about the difficulty in creating a riddle that is solvable, but not solved immediately. Assuming everything is above board and the treasure existed, was found etc, it is definitely a very impressive feat to craft a riddle that successfully. Having done so in a straightforward fashion, that doesnt rely on contradictory double-meanings is even more impressive. To believe Forrest accomplished this, is to give him a ton of credit with regard to his intelligence. More so, IMO, then if he crafted a code and lied about its nature. I just don't see the point in that.

I do think there was a bit of the 'lotto' element you speak of. In that a seemingly infinite number of locations could be *made to fit* the parameters of the poem. However the dearth of simple solutions that have a bulletproof interpretation of every hint in the poem would suggest that a truly critical thinker could eliminate just about all of them and (theoretically) narrow down a solid solution. Self-evident? I'm not convinced. Close enough to go with confidence? I'd buy that.
          I don't think Forrest has to be a genius savant to do what he did. He simply used an above-average innate talent and thought a about it for a long time - 15 years, supposedly. I think he is ENTP, a personality type that is highly intuitive. They look at the big picture and can notice odd relationships between unrelated things. He also notices small details or aberrations. You can see this through his writings. This gives insight as to how the puzzle works.

As far as making it difficult, it's relatively easy, imo. The poem is consecutive, from everything he's told us. You cannot start in the middle. You have 9 hurdles to clear and each one likely takes new thinking. We know the finder communicated with him in 2018, and forrest was "monitoring" emails from one or more people. The "gut feeling" was in 2018 and maybe that indicates the finder was close. Yet it still took two years. This is evidence to me of the clues as individual hurdles. This is quite different than pattern matching geographic features (lotto).

Forrest must maintain a balance between too self-evident and too vague under my hurdle theory or its simply unfindable. The hurdles give him flexibility though. People get stuck. He told us multiple people solved the first two clues. Maybe they gave up because they were not sure or they were sure but simply could not clear hurdle 3. Yet our finder struggled for at least 2 years with a partial solve, imo. He must have had something to fuel his persistence. Forrest has told us well say (paraphrasing) "why didn't I think of that?" It all points to the solution being self-evident, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post

Goldilocks,
            Taking him at his word in interviews doesn't yield infinite possibilities. In my case, I have posted my complete solve annotated with all the thoughts that led to my conclusions., which IIRC you've seen. Yes, the poem demands *some* subjective interpretation. All puzzles do. The key to me was to keep that to an absolute minimum.
            But having said that... The fact that we had to interpret the poem doesn't imply that we had to interpret every word the man ever uttered or committed to paper.

Best,
            -Slashy

*EDIT* Correction, you haven't seen my solve. Here it is:
            https://www.hintofriches.com/forum/t...f-my-ynp-solve
            Ok, so you pick and choose when to subjectively interpret something. That's no different than using acrostics haphazardly. Please know I'm not picking on you, just using your example which many searchers agree with BTW. Thank you for sharing your solve. For me your solve falls apart at, "Follow the Yellowstone downstream on Google Earth until I find something that fits the next clue", a creek conveniently located next to something Brown etc. You are force fitting clues to fit your location IMO. It's not that your interpretations are too simple but they are too generic. Too many places to take a wrong turn IMO and that is what happens when you cannot walk someplace with 100% confidence before you even leave the house.

I don't have anything better to offer as a solution so I applaud you for sharing. You could have been close, we don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

I don't think Forrest has to be a genius savant to do what he did. He simply used an above-average innate talent and thought a about it for a long time - 15 years, supposedly. I think he is ENTP, a personality type that is highly intuitive. They look at the big picture and can notice odd relationships between unrelated things. He also notices small details or aberrations. You can see this through his writings. This gives insight as to how the puzzle works.

As far as making it difficult, it's relatively easy, imo. The poem is consecutive, from everything he's told us. You cannot start in the middle. You have 9 hurdles to clear and each one likely takes new thinking. We know the finder communicated with him in 2018, and forrest was "monitoring" emails from one or more people. The "gut feeling" was in 2018 and maybe that indicates the finder was close. Yet it still took two years. This is evidence to me of the clues as individual hurdles. This is quite different than pattern matching geographic features (lotto).

Forrest must maintain a balance between too self-evident and too vague under my hurdle theory or its simply unfindable. The hurdles give him flexibility though. People get stuck. He told us multiple people solved the first two clues. Maybe they gave up because they were not sure or they were sure but simply could not clear hurdle 3. Yet our finder struggled for at least 2 years with a partial solve, imo. He must have had something to fuel his persistence. Forrest has told us well say (paraphrasing) "why didn't I think of that?" It all points to the solution being self-evident, imo.
              Aside from your final conclusion, I dont really disagree with any of that. I'm also not married to my interpretation and can readily admit that anything is possible. I dont see the big difference between 'hurdles' and a 'pattern', as described. I think we're basically saying the same thing in terms of a linear poem, with 9 hints that must be solved separately and consecutively.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-leaf Blaze View Post

Hey CoinAH, Wyoming fell in less than 24 hours, as far as that lame ass release on a "find." It's OUT because no one could find a better "under a canopy of stars." Sorry you missed the memo on purpose.
                AND DON'T TRY TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE I'M SUING FENN. THAT'S A LIE.
                OK then.... You are just a Psycho... It was found in Wyoming.... Do you feel better now? If not.... the doctor prescribes those depression meds for a reason... Take them as prescribed...
                Last edited by Coinaster; 07-24-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus_beef40 View Post

Aside from your final conclusion, I dont really disagree with any of that. I'm also not married to my interpretation and can readily admit that anything is possible. I dont see the big difference between 'hurdles' and a 'pattern', as described. I think we're basically saying the same thing in terms of a linear poem, with 9 hints that must be solved separately and consecutively.
                  I agree we're on the same page as far as the consequtive nature. But don't you think the correct solution, with 9 hurdles/patterns matched would stand out much more than a solution with no clues right, regardless of how creative it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster View Post

OK then.... You are just a Psycho... It was found in Wyoming.... Do you feel better now? If not.... the doctor prescribes those depression meds for a reason... Take them as prescribed...
                    Why do half dozen of you turn into 2-bit psychiatrists when cornered? Because you spend too much time in a psych office and pick up on the jargon & then project your problem on people.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

I agree we're on the same page as far as the consequtive nature. But don't you think the correct solution, with 9 hurdles/patterns matched would stand out much more than a solution with no clues right, regardless of how creative it is?
                      Depends on what you consider creative..

It one gets 'creative' enough, I dont doubt one could create nine clues to line up with pretty much any location. I think most rational people would be able to delineate between a clever interpretation of a clue vs. an overcooked (or coded) one.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-leaf Blaze View Post

Why do half dozen of you turn into 2-bit psychiatrists when cornered? Because you spend too much time in a psych office and pick up on the jargon & then project your problem on people.
                        When did you corner me? AH It was found in Wyoming! It wasn't in Colorado.... Get over it already....

Comment

5-leaf Blaze , If a half a dozen different people are all telling the same thing, they might have a point. Again, I've never considered you to be a "psycho", but I do believe you have 'issues'. You don't have to be a mechanic to recognize when a car ain't runnin' right.
                          And I know you're going to claim that we're all the same person, but we're not. You could have kpro check out our IP addresses if you wanted to... But you won't. I think it's because you're afraid of the answer she'll give you: All different people from all over the country.
                          Best,
                          -Slashy
                          Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-24-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post

5-leaf Blaze , If a half a dozen people are all telling the same thing, they might have a point. Again, I've never considered you to be a "psycho", but I do believe you have 'issues'. You don't have to be a mechanic to recognize when a car ain't runnin' right.

Best,
                            -Slashy
                            But that's the thing about blog warriors- strangers who are sane would never tell me in person if I seem to have issues. If you really want to force me to continue beating TS out of you in words, I will. I thought you blocked me(?) "Can't keep away... can't keep away... nooo-oo-o-o-o, can't keep away." You just CAN'T keep away! Unblock and FIGHT!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post

Ok, so you pick and choose when to subjectively interpret something.
                              Yeah, that's how riddles work.

That's no different than using acrostics haphazardly. Please know I'm not picking on you, just using your example which many searchers agree with BTW. Thank you for sharing your solve. For me your solve falls apart at, "Follow the Yellowstone downstream on Google Earth until I find something that fits the next clue", a creek conveniently located next to something Brown etc. You are force fitting clues to fit your location IMO. It's not that your interpretations are too simple but they are too generic. Too many places to take a wrong turn IMO and that is what happens when you cannot walk someplace with 100% confidence before you even leave the house.

I don't have anything better to offer as a solution so I applaud you for sharing. You could have been close, we don't know. [/QUOTE]

Except that's how Fenn suggested it should be done. I didn't write the rules, just did my best to adhere to them.
                              And you're mistaken about the "walk with confidence" part. I was prepared to do exactly that. He also did say that you can't be 100% certain your solve is correct until you get to the spot and find the treasure. Or in our case, the 10x10" depression.
                              You asked how us "simple solution" folks solved it, I shared how I did it. I gave you the answer to your question, but nobody said you have to agree with it.

Best,
                              -Slashy

Comment

I think that we should be a little fairer on those with complicated solves. Fenn did after all spend a great deal of time on the poem (and this is one of the only corroborated claims - Douglas Preston) therefore it is reasonable to conclude, when combined with the length of time take to find the chest, that the solve is sufficiently subtle (clever). The other options are that the poem is simple and the search area is large (as in the number of options) or the poem is very bad and the solver idiosyncratically thinks like forrest.

So for me its an almost 50-50 between clever and large search area. So not unreasonable to go down the line of anagrams and so on.

Surely we can all agree that there are red herrings in there?

Comment

Working...
                                X