Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna Graham View Post

smart ass
    Sorry, Anna Graham , but I think I just found my new favorite poster. Nothing like some high- quality smartassery in the morning.

Best,
    -Slashy

Comment

smart ass
      You set 'em up, I'll knock 'en down!

Edit: Thanks slashy! I enjoy reading your level-headed posts, as well. Although, I don't think either of us will get thru to anyone..

You know if forrest said verbatim, "the poem is not an anagram" Anna and her type would be like, "that anagrams to 'the poem is an anagram, ton!'".
      Last edited by Angus_beef40; 07-24-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus_beef40 View Post

100%. That was definitely the biggest surprise when I started reading this board. Though I guess the 'simple' solves that stay within Forrest's explicit parameters dont appeal to the schizo crowd the way anagrams, numerology, etc do.

Edit: I also think that people with straightforward solves dont become attached to them in the same way as someone does who feels like they've broken some codex or that Forrest is speaking to them thru scrapbooks or something. They are probably more likely to realize the insane odds they face even with a seemingly decent solve that follows all the rules. They likely check it, and go back to their lives. I know this was the case for me and my (Wyoming) solve. I never felt like I had more than a 2% chance of retrieval. You read OH's deranged ramblings and how many times he says "irrefutable", "absolutely certain" etc.. I don't believe any critical thinker could ever be that confident in a solution.
        Meh, simple solves are the least interesting. It's been demonstrated you can find them all over the Rocky Mountains. Warm Waters Spring, Treasure Canyon, Brown Mountain. Give Forrest credit for creating something more interesting than that. Otherwise it's just a lotto, where you pick an area, find stuff that matches, and go botg. Under that scenario, one person wins, but the actual solve is no more compelling than any other. The winning solve isn't self-evidently correct, unless Forrest says "yep, that was it!"

Codex solves at least credit Forrest with some intelligence. It's just that he's hinted he isn't that kind of guy, imo.

Straightforward in hindsight is what you are looking for as the work of a master puzzlemaker. He sees what noone else does, except for the very few - at least until it is revealed, and then it seems obvious. Deep thinking and imagination is what you need to crack it. Yet in hindsight the solve is self-evident to most whether Forrest approved or not.
        Last edited by CRM114; 07-24-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Anna and her type.
          You mean people with imagination
          All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
          --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Meh, simple solves are the least interesting. It's been demonstrated you can find them all over the Rocky Mountains. Warm Waters Spring, Treasure Canyon, Brown Mountain. Give Forrest credit for creating something more interesting than that.
            O.P.E.,
            Well, I might be inclined to do that, except he very explicitly instructed me not to.

Best,
            -Slashy

Comment

You mean people with imagination
              Oh, Anna... (shaking my head)
              I like you, but you keep walking into obvious traps. I can guess what Angus is about to do with this one.

Apologies,
              -Slashy

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

Meh, simple solves are the least interesting. It's been demonstrated you can find them all over the Rocky Mountains. Warm Waters Spring, Treasure Canyon, Brown Mountain. Give Forrest credit for creating something more interesting than that. Otherwise it's just a lotto, where you pick an area, find stuff that matches, and go botg. Under that scenario, one person wins, but the actual solve is no more compelling than any other. The winning solve isn't self-evidently correct, unless Forrest says "yep, that was it!"

Codex solves at least credit Forrest with some intelligence. It's just that he's hinted he isn't that kind of guy, imo.

Straightforward in hindsight is what you are looking for as the work of a master puzzlemaker. He sees what noone else does, except for the very few - at least until it is revealed, and then it seems obvious. The solve is self-evident to most whether Forrest approved or not.
                I get what you're saying. And I think the poem was probably pretty clever, but some people here seem to elevate Forrest to the level of some genius savant..or even an omniscient demi-God.

Someone posted here a week or so ago about the difficulty in creating a riddle that is solvable, but not solved immediately. Assuming everything is above board and the treasure existed, was found etc, it is definitely a very impressive feat to craft a riddle that successfully. Having done so in a straightforward fashion, that doesnt rely on contradictory double-meanings is even more impressive. To believe Forrest accomplished this, is to give him a ton of credit with regard to his intelligence. More so, IMO, then if he crafted a code and lied about its nature. I just don't see the point in that.

I do think there was a bit of the 'lotto' element you speak of. In that a seemingly infinite number of locations could be *made to fit* the parameters of the poem. However the dearth of simple solutions that have a bulletproof interpretation of every hint in the poem would suggest that a truly critical thinker could eliminate just about all of them and (theoretically) narrow down a solid solution. Self-evident? I'm not convinced. Close enough to go with confidence? I'd buy that.

Comment

Unlike a lot of you crazies, I can recognize that it isnt about what I want. I was just playing the game within the rules. You brought the 20-sided dice to the poker table.
                  Yeah, we should have brought a bigger LIE to the poker table. "Crazies?" You're here too, MF>

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post
                    O.P.E.,
                    Well, I might be inclined to do that, except he very explicitly instructed me not to.
                    Word!

Comment

You set 'em up, I'll knock 'en down!

Edit: Thanks slashy! I enjoy reading your level-headed posts, as well. Although, I don't think either of us will get thru to anyone..

You know if forrest said verbatim, "the poem is not an anagram" Anna and her type would be like, "that anagrams to 'the poem is an anagram, ton!'".
                      Anybody who's a Slashy fan is a total Fenn Fam plant lol.

Comment

I get what you're saying. And I think the poem was probably pretty clever, but some people here seem to elevate Forrest to the level of some genius savant..or even an omniscient demi-God.
                        Then your job here is to de-intellectualize the true solve & make a simple solve acceptable. It took him 15 years not only because he wrote one ingenious ending, but possibly multiple ones.

Comment

Someone posted here a week or so ago about the difficulty in creating a riddle that is solvable, but not solved immediately. .
                          Yeah, that was me. It was in regards to the "Mr Clue" hunt, which was a dumpster fire. It's super- difficult to pull yourself out of your own head and look at your puzzle from the perspective of someone that doesn't already know the answer.
                          An example of this is a cipher I constructed that I intended to be solved in a single evening. It carried all the clues necessary to unravel it, and I thought "this should be easy". Well, everyone got mad at me and nobody's solved it in the last 5 years. It's a tougher job than it appears, especially when you have nobody to test it on.

Best,
                          -Slashy
                          Last edited by GoSlash27; 07-24-2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster View Post
                            Hey 5-leaf Blaze blaze
                            It was in Wyoming... Your frivolous law-suit has been cancelled.... Buh-Bye!
                            Hey CoinAH, Wyoming fell in less than 24 hours, as far as that lame ass release on a "find." It's OUT because no one could find a better "under a canopy of stars." Sorry you missed the memo on purpose.
                            AND DON'T TRY TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE I'M SUING FENN. THAT'S A LIE.

Comment

100%. That was definitely the biggest surprise when I started reading this board. Though I guess the 'simple' solves that stay within Forrest's explicit parameters dont appeal to the schizo crowd the way anagrams, numerology, etc do.

Edit: I also think that people with straightforward solves dont become attached to them in the same way as someone does who feels like they've broken some codex or that Forrest is speaking to them thru scrapbooks or something. They are probably more likely to realize the insane odds they face even with a seemingly decent solve that follows all the rules. They likely check it, and go back to their lives. I know this was the case for me and my (Wyoming) solve. I never felt like I had more than a 2% chance of retrieval. You read OH's deranged ramblings and how many times he says "irrefutable", "absolutely certain" etc.. I don't believe any critical thinker could ever be that confident in a solution.

(1st anagram solution)

Area he have to go nine lines
                              Odd muses, water labyrinth
                              My scenic tree peak, where
                              Hindrance to fish laden down

Anagrams whittle where it brew
                              One candidate tiny known hat
                              float, ok a fat brown trout.
                              Brown pine behemoth flow out.

Ten mile trek, she metaphor of force.
                              The snag here winding drive
                              Double null tree, cropper head key
                              Short jug handle, vast hideaway

One eyed wizened Anubis have to bluff
                              Ok down quirky colloquy, cues to tease
                              Why start tract big, unravel maze
                              Tads teeth jut, nose package niche

Might say how it sits out
                              Many felled oak reveal vest root
                              Arrow hat key, awl sines den
                              Know one diameter divide twain

One seldom heads along trail
                              Why thee follow tub corridor left
                              Find a wiry head on above route
                              It give you light, toe led to.

(Double line anagram)

Oh in here lies tub, three ways to solve anagram add nine.
                              Wheeler Peak, find chest hidden sweet Cimarron Canyon.

Know lege my artist with bow tie drawn, hint an entrance ahead.
                              Oh plot a line from bathtub to water known route off bow.

Redford knew the chief, gain permit reveals three tone ohm sign.
                              Up closed jeep road, gate borders anthill, why hurdle aunt have key.

Eye found unique quartz clovis, lookout below beady eyes face, known thesis.
                              Johnny best Tarzan, chest diameter cues watertight package vault.

Follow trail to heavy gate take to S turn, hey dismiss move
                              Instead tread water ski, hawk weed in view, door in name only

Soldier at doorway heart of ending clue for whom the bell tolls
                              Golden ratio, double five, thirteen two iota, heavy you dig.

(Double line adding (ix) to the first two lines of each stanza)

Alexander Hamilton on ten degrees, you've Hawaii's birth
                              Place head down nine from thirteen, yes sandwich creek.

Enter tree line taxi washing machine down to tiny awkward bath
                              Tub bow be arrow point, took hunter of fallen to fathom W.

Six weeks to right memoir, departed chief fleeing northern haven.
                              Joseph Heller's autobiography underhandedly elevated war, tuck

Untouched novel inside box buried at foot of oak, sly yawn, ewe quickly squeeze
                              Catsup tree trunk, had tiny teeth sizeable jaw, Van Gogh scream tact

Vietnam twelve sixty eight, frames outlook holiday roasts
                              Needed to know withdrawn, aerial remote inside via Skywan

Longitude thirty six, follow ash colored tree mallow beforehand
                              Latitude one o five eight, behold doorway intuit voyager.

Is this that complicated?
                              All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
                              --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Taking Forrest's words at face value, literally and simply would yield infinite possibilities. Please tell me how all of you "simple" people narrowed down the location? You had to have subjectively interpreted his words at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X