The Thrill Is Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post

You're absolutely right Zap. That wasn't the last thing he said. Dal compiled a chronology of e-mails from Forrest which show what he said and when he said it. I guess I refuse to believe that the man who shared so much with us, and us with him, would end things like this. I'm not talking about being owed a solution or a state. He thanked Dal for his years and wisdom. I'm talking about an acknowledgment to the community, that he appreciates all of our time and sacrifices. This ended so abruptly and uncomfortably. There is always time for gratitude, regardless of his age and family circumstances. He chose to be highly involved and so I don't understand how there isn't anyone - a family member, a friend etc. who could help formulate a statement on Forrest's behalf to bring this ending into a more positive light. Maybe it's selfish of me but that's how I feel and that's why I'm still waiting.......
    Re-read Father on the Banco. In just a couple of sentences Forrest Fenn sums up just who he has always been and nothing changed. He says it right there. Subconsciously he may not have even realized he said it.

Comment

I think he is relieved that it was found. He is probably sick and tired of everyone bothering him. He does not owe any of us anything. You made the decision to spend your time and money to search. He provided you with hope and adventure, and a learning experience. Many of you got to take a trip that you would have never taken. You got to see a beautiful part of this country that many don't get to see. I totally agree that if you are in it for the money, you will be blinded by greed. We have become an animal that values money over human life. Try to do these hunts for fun and don't make it a personal reason. Respect is something most of us have lost. Otherwise, you will always be an armchair treasure hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezxman17 View Post
        I think he is relieved that it was found. He is probably sick and tired of everyone bothering him. He does not owe any of us anything. You made the decision to spend your time and money to search. He provided you with hope and adventure, and a learning experience. Many of you got to take a trip that you would have never taken. You got to see a beautiful part of this country that many don't get to see. I totally agree that if you are in it for the money, you will be blinded by greed. We have become an animal that values money over human life. Try to do these hunts for fun and don't make it a personal reason. Respect is something most of us have lost. Otherwise, you will always be an armchair treasure hunter.
        I was adding to my post but deleted it by accident so I will try to remember what I said:

He is absolutely relieved it was found. I have said many times he owes us nothing. He published his e-mail in his memoir and was deeply involved with the community long after the chest was hidden. He opened those lines of communication willingly. He attended and contributed to Fennborees, book signings, interviews, charity events and invited searchers into his home. He brought us into his life and he into ours. Respect goes both ways. IMO the searchers who turned their back the minute the chest was found were in it for the money. Why else would they back away so quickly? Because they are respecting his space? I'm respecting his space, but I will continue to wait. I have confidence that Forrest will address the community when he can. As for your comments on armchair treasure hunters...there was zero chance I would spend one penny unless I could pinpoint and walk to the chest location. I don't need money and I didn't need Forrest to get me out into nature. We have plenty of mountains and trails where I am from. I was intrigued by the mystery of the poem and I will continue to be engaged in this hunt until I have more answers.

Comment

It is a never ending story

Comment

He is absolutely relieved it was found. I have said many times he owes us nothing. He published his e-mail in his memoir and was deeply involved with the community long after the chest was hidden. He opened those lines of communication willingly. He attended and contributed to Fennborees, book signings, interviews, charity events and invited searchers into his home. He brought us into his life and he into ours. Respect goes both ways. IMO the searchers who turned their back the minute the chest was found were in it for the money. Why else would they back away so quickly? Because they are respecting his space? I'm respecting his space, but I will continue to wait. I have confidence that Forrest will address the community when he can. As for your comments on armchair treasure hunters...there was zero chance I would spend one penny unless I could pinpoint and walk to the chest location. I don't need money and I didn't need Forrest to get me out into nature. We have plenty of mountains and trails where I am from. I was intrigued by the mystery of the poem and I will continue to be engaged in this hunt until I have more answers.
            Goldilocks,

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except for possibly your first sentence. I'm still not convinced that he was relieved it was found.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggishShoes View Post
              plenty of thrill still left in this one yet...

Thrill:
              (medicine) A slight quivering of the heart that accompanies a cardiac murmur.
              https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thrill

Murmur:
              A muttered complaint or protest; the expression of dissatisfaction in a low muttering voice; any expression of complaint or discontent.
              https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/murmur
              A vascular arterial-venous shunt often has a thrill which can be felt because of the turbulence of the blood. Once when I was a student, a surgeon asked me to feel the A-V shunt a young woman had in her groin. Carefully palpating it, I exclaimed "I feel the thrill". You should have seen the expression on the young woman's face..... The student's face then turned a little red with a smile.
              1f

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post

Re-read Father on the Banco. In just a couple of sentences Forrest Fenn sums up just who he has always been and nothing changed. He says it right there. Subconsciously he may not have even realized he said it.
                Hi JChere I re-read it. I think that very well could be his opinion of himself but it is clearly not the case. At the risk of putting him up on some lofty pedestal, I think Forrest had far more than a knack for taking care of himself and his family. He is an altruist, a philanthropist and a good soul, which is why I refuse to believe he will leave us hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Goldilocks,

I pretty much agree with everything you said, except for possibly your first sentence. I'm still not convinced that he was relieved it was found.
                  I'm sure it was bittersweet. Depending on how things are going in the courtroom, he may be feeling it's more bitter than sweet.

Comment

I'm sure it was bittersweet. Depending on how things are going in the courtroom, he may be feeling it's more bitter than sweet.
                    Goldie-
                    I was wondering how the courtroom scene went for you? Did those three bears drop the charges for breaking and entering? How much community service time did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherif Billy View Post

Goldie-
                      I was wondering how the courtroom scene went for you? Did those three bears drop the charges for breaking and entering? How much community service time did you get?
                      Thanks for asking. We reached a plea deal in return for a bowl of porridge and a new bed.

Comment

You're absolutely right Zap. That wasn't the last thing he said. Dal compiled a chronology of e-mails from Forrest which show what he said and when he said it. I guess I refuse to believe that the man who shared so much with us, and us with him, would end things like this. I'm not talking about being owed a solution or a state. He thanked Dal for his years and wisdom. I'm talking about an acknowledgment to the community, that he appreciates all of our time and sacrifices. This ended so abruptly and uncomfortably. There is always time for gratitude, regardless of his age and family circumstances. He chose to be highly involved and so I don't understand how there isn't anyone - a family member, a friend etc. who could help formulate a statement on Forrest's behalf to bring this ending into a more positive light. Maybe it's selfish of me but that's how I feel and that's why I'm still waiting.......
                        Okay, good -- you saw Dal's timeline. I can understand that you are hopeful that more information will be forthcoming from Forrest, and perhaps one day he will provide a few answers to the hundreds of searcher questions that remain. As you point out, he was heavily involved in the Chase for nearly a decade after TTOTC came out, so it's been a shock for searchers to go from that firehose of almost daily information to a total drought.

Comment

I'm still here because, for me, it was about solving the poem and matching wits with Fenn - no need to leave if it's found, this is a nice place to hang out.
                          To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
                            I'm still here because, for me, it was about solving the poem and matching wits with Fenn - no need to leave if it's found, this is a nice place to hang out.
                            Nice RahRah!

Me too, and I agree.

W.

Comment

Working...
                            X