The Thrill Is Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thrill Is Gone

I'm surprised to see so many people still invested in this. For me, the thrill is gone. I don't even care about the solution, the treasure, the location, any type of story behind the location. But maybe that is just me. I still come on here to occasionally look at the other treasure hunt forums, but they are all pretty dead. However, I continue to see the Forrest Fenn forum very active. I'm just curious...what is keeping you guys interested?

I think the finder, and the community as a whole, grossly miscalculated how to handle the finding of the treasure. There was always lots of talk of notifying Forrest right away and then sitting on the solution to try to get book deals, tv interviews, etc. Well, that seems to have backfired. I don't think any tv shows will be that interested in interviewing the finder at this point...maybe some of the treasure hunting shows (expedition unknown), but not news networks. That time has come and gone...the time for that was when it was announced that it was found and all the tv networks were doing stories on it. The big story is that it was found...not how it was found. Now, it's just a pretty small community that is interested in the rest of the story.

A book deal won't do any better than the sales of The Thrill Of The Chase, which sold around 20,000 copies. If the author gets $1 a book sale...not much going on there. I think anyone that thinks a movie deal is in the works is a little out of touch of reality. I mean, we are a small community, even as an online community we are small. A good youtube video gets about 2k-5k views...that is really nothing in terms of youtube.

In the end, what I'm saying is that it is over. There is nothing more to the Chase. Maybe we get the solution at some point, most likely it will be underwhelming. But it is over, time to move on.

OKS

Acknowledged . . .
    Last edited by Old Pilot; 07-21-2020, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outkast Searcher View Post
      I'm surprised to see so many people still invested in this. For me, the thrill is gone. I don't even care about the solution, the treasure, the location, any type of story behind the location. But maybe that is just me. I still come on here to occasionally look at the other treasure hunt forums, but they are all pretty dead. However, I continue to see the Forrest Fenn forum very active. I'm just curious...what is keeping you guys interested?

I think the finder, and the community as a whole, grossly miscalculated how to handle the finding of the treasure. There was always lots of talk of notifying Forrest right away and then sitting on the solution to try to get book deals, tv interviews, etc. Well, that seems to have backfired. I don't think any tv shows will be that interested in interviewing the finder at this point...maybe some of the treasure hunting shows (expedition unknown), but not news networks. That time has come and gone...the time for that was when it was announced that it was found and all the tv networks were doing stories on it. The big story is that it was found...not how it was found. Now, it's just a pretty small community that is interested in the rest of the story.

A book deal won't do any better than the sales of The Thrill Of The Chase, which sold around 20,000 copies. If the author gets $1 a book sale...not much going on there. I think anyone that thinks a movie deal is in the works is a little out of touch of reality. I mean, we are a small community, even as an online community we are small. A good youtube video gets about 2k-5k views...that is really nothing in terms of youtube.

In the end, what I'm saying is that it is over. There is nothing more to the Chase. Maybe we get the solution at some point, most likely it will be underwhelming. But it is over, time to move on.

OKS
      I think that everything will work out fine for Forrest and the finder/solver. The value hasn't been lost because it's not tied to any TV interviews, shows, book deals etc. or even from a potentially unsupportive search community. It's value has been provided by a higher hand.
      Last edited by From Back East Man; 07-21-2020, 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'm sorry you didn't get it. However, I think you're in good company. I'd estimate 95% of the searchers were in it for only the money. Unfortunately, with that mindset, it impedes oneself in solving the poem as a riddle. You see, the poem was not only a history lesson, but it was also about the lives of people and cultures present and past. Once you were able to understand that, the poem did become easier to solve. Without that understanding, solving the poem is futile, like a blind man feeling around in a strange land, hoping that your random hand movements will find something familiar to hold onto.
        1f

Comment

Originally posted by Sherif Billy View Post
          I'm sorry you didn't get it. However, I think you're in good company. I'd estimate 95% of the searchers were in it for only the money. Unfortunately, with that mindset, it impedes oneself in solving the poem as a riddle. You see, the poem was not only a history lesson, but it was also about the lives of people and cultures present and past. Once you were able to understand that, the poem did become easier to solve. Without that understanding, solving the poem is futile, like a blind man feeling around in a strange land, hoping that your random hand movements will find something familiar to hold onto.
          1f
          Did you find the treasure?

If not, how would you know what makes it easier to solve the poem?

Comment

My feelings is that the people like me that put years of ourselves mentally and financially would like to know if we were close. Why did he pick that spot? Without knowing the answer to Forrest's riddle/poem there is no closure. A emptiness of there was no end to the story. I think you underestimate the the pride of accomplishment verses just a payout.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
              Why did he pick that spot? Without knowing the answer to Forrest's riddle/poem there is no closure. A emptiness of there was no end to the story. I think you underestimate the the pride of accomplishment verses just a payout.
              The anagram solution answers that question: If you've been wise and found the blaze look quickly down your quest to cease, anagrams to: Eye found unique quartz clovis, lookout below beady eyed face, known thesis. He found a unique quartz clovis, this might have been the beginning of his interest in clovis points, and caused him to purchase many of the clovis points in the Fenn Cache. The answers to the riddles can all be found in the 3 anagram solution.
              All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
              --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Well at this point its just an interesting mystery/conspiracy/living story. Why are people still interested in the zodiac killer codes, db cooper, the lost dutchman's mine, bob lazar and so on.

Comment

plenty of thrill still left in this one yet...

Thrill:
                  (medicine) A slight quivering of the heart that accompanies a cardiac murmur.
                  https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thrill

Murmur:
                  A muttered complaint or protest; the expression of dissatisfaction in a low muttering voice; any expression of complaint or discontent.
                  https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/murmur

Comment

I don't think the tv shows and news outlets have lost their interest as much as the level of interest was overestimated in the first place. It was a fun human interest story that came and went. They aren't losing any sleep over who the finder is and where it was found. Agree on the book stuff and movie deals. I scoffed at figures of 500K that were thrown around, but if they can get that much then more power to them.

I think the next area where the chest will be overvalued is the auction estimate. I heard 8-10 million. I don't think it goes for anything near that. (I'd still rather have found it than not of course).

Comment

OKS
                      I'm surprised I'm still here too..! I guess it wasn't just about the money for me, it was about solving the riddle of the poem. That game is still on, and for me it beats doing suduko or crosswords.

I keep hoping someone might have a good solve that will answer my questions about the ending, or even something that will spark an idea of my own. I'd love to know the answers, and I'm sure an elegant solve is possible and it would still feel good to find that.

Though I expect I will move on to another hunt if I find one I like. I've tried a couple but nothing has stuck.

I have a lot of respect for the mysterious finder, actually more so now I've read a lot of solves that seem far from plausible. Most likely I'll get to 90 and still occassionally think 'what the heck was home of Brown?' I don't really mind, it's a fun puzzle, if somewhat infuriating.

Comment

I'm just curious...what is keeping you guys interested?
                        OKS
                        We have all read the vague, cold statement that it is found, it is over, the Finder is shy and wants to remain anonymous. That is not enough for me. I won't be content until I hear something from Forrest himself or someone speaking on his behalf. Last we heard he said he will be back. He was deeply involved and emotionally invested in his hunt and in the searcher community for years. I'm not interested in what the Finder has to say anymore. I'm waiting to hear from Forrest.

Comment

OKS
                          Ok. Bye Bye then. See you later. Don't let the door hit you in the ass! We don't need nor want your negative thought here. Let the rest of us be without your negative and pessimistic thinking. It is not wanted here and neither are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
                            We have all read the vague, cold statement that it is found, it is over, the Finder is shy and wants to remain anonymous. That is not enough for me. I won't be content until I hear something from Forrest himself or someone speaking on his behalf. Last we heard he said he will be back. He was deeply involved and emotionally invested in his hunt and in the searcher community for years. I'm not interested in what the Finder has to say anymore. I'm waiting to hear from Forrest.
                            Hate to break the bad news, Goldilocks, but saying he would be back is not the last thing Forrest posted. That's what he posted days BEFORE the pictures were released on June 16th. He made no promises to say anything more after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

Hate to break the bad news, Goldilocks, but saying he would be back is not the last thing Forrest posted. That's what he posted days BEFORE the pictures were released on June 16th. He made no promises to say anything more after that.
                              You're absolutely right Zap. That wasn't the last thing he said. Dal compiled a chronology of e-mails from Forrest which show what he said and when he said it. I guess I refuse to believe that the man who shared so much with us, and us with him, would end things like this. I'm not talking about being owed a solution or a state. He thanked Dal for his years and wisdom. I'm talking about an acknowledgment to the community, that he appreciates all of our time and sacrifices. This ended so abruptly and uncomfortably. There is always time for gratitude, regardless of his age and family circumstances. He chose to be highly involved and so I don't understand how there isn't anyone - a family member, a friend etc. who could help formulate a statement on Forrest's behalf to bring this ending into a more positive light. Maybe it's selfish of me but that's how I feel and that's why I'm still waiting.......

Comment

Working...
                              X