Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parting Words - Forrest tipped us a Penny!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting Words - Forrest tipped us a Penny!

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that Forrest only gave us a parting words on Dal's site. Here we are for the past ten years, entertaining Forrest and all we get for a tip for years of service is a penny he left in the bottom of a used water glass. I guess I'm longing for some final words of wisdom from the man who gave us all so much joy and purpose in our lives and now he's gone like a fart in the wind, leaving us all with a faint smell of something putrid and a mess at the table. Bus boy, clean up this mess! I quit!

Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post
    I think the thing that bothers me the most is that Forrest only gave us a parting words on Dal's site. Here we are for the past ten years, entertaining Forrest and all we get for a tip for years of service is a penny he left in the bottom of a used water glass. I guess I'm longing for some final words of wisdom from the man who gave us all so much joy and purpose in our lives and now he's gone like a fart in the wind, leaving us all with a faint smell of something putrid and a mess at the table. Bus boy, clean up this mess! I quit!
    Life is like that sometimes.

Comment

I think that he should corroborate the end the chase simply for the fact that there are those that are still planning on wasting time, money and their safety on pursuing the idea that the chest is still out there, however mistaken they may be. He wanted to be this mysterious figure leaving a legacy, but what he ended up being was a gamemaster and as such, he does have a certain responsibility to the players. I know he has been categorical in his announcements, but it must be corroborated.

Comment

He did say "I'll be back".

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
          I feel like Bilbo Baggins waiting on Gandalf to get on board the white boat for Valar. Worse yet, I'll turn into Gollum if I have to wait too long.
          Last edited by Walking Among Lions; 07-07-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
            Farting in the wind sounds like one of the many colorful parables of an old Northern Irish priest I'd talk to sometimes, WAL.
            "I'll be Back" has been my signature song for 8+ months on THOR.

Comment

The one thing this sort of settles for me is that the scrapbooks probably did have hints in them, at least some of them. It still feels strange that he'd just up and bail out completely. But he probably views us as the aircraft on fire and doesn't want to be riding in it when it turns into a fireball in the side of a mountain.

I'm cutting him as much slack as I can and assuming he has all these important things going on in his own life right now and that's why he can't write a sincere farewell to us in a scrapbook. I really enjoyed those scrapbooks. Now he's gone silent and someone else has gone silent and both are keeping a secret. How does this end with a contradiction to something he repeated so often? "Two can keep a secret" keeps making me go "Wait, hold on. You said...."

I try to maintain the mindset that it's all on the up and up, but something feels completely off about this ending. I feel like Forrest has a big heart, but maybe I'm just imagining that because I see the good in people. I just can't imagine that he's pleased with this outcome. The finder's chosen silence is casting a massive shadow of doubt over this entire chase. I can totally appreciate remaining anonymous. Can't understand why revealing the clues and how the puzzle works would pose any problems to the place or the finder or Forrest.

Until 2018, I can't find any quotes about him saying the finder could keep it all a secret. I wonder how I would have approached this if I knew that there might never be public resolution to it. I'm not sure I'd have undertaken this amount of effort to solve it. I figured someone else would figure it out first, but that at least I'd get to know the answers someday.

I was reading TTOTC last night and my wife said "Maybe it's time for a new book." Then she handed me The Whistle Pig and I read that and can't barely believe that one is real or that we'll ever know the answers to that one either. You're just looking for a key? And then what? What happens when you find this key? There's no one to email or call. No instructions on how many clues. I feel like I can't even move on to the next chase because this outcome has ruined the idea of chases for me.

And the hardest part about it is I can't put together a profile for this searcher who's choosing to screw everyone like this. Why isn't he doing a touchdown dance on our faces and giving us the solution? He's so shy that he wouldn't even let Forrest tell us the answers? All the talk about capitalizing off the find makes no sense to me. He just walked away with around half a million dollars. What more does he need from the chase?

Comment

Forrest is probably at risk of violating a gag order if he utters one word about this hunt to anyone, in which case, be patient, it will pass. I am confident that he will address us when he can.

Comment

I've pretty much moved on and let it go.. but still waiting to hear any news on the finder or real solution.. but it may never be revealed.. when f had an interview and in the end the reporter ask him if he had any parting words of wisdom he said "SELL" that was it.. really.. that is the best he could come up with on the fly.. well that just told me that really he was a pretty shallow soul IMO only.. but that was the best words he had.. nothing about there is always discoveries to make when you look for them or some deep conscious stirring.. brought to light.. think about it.. it was all about his legacy and now that is coming to a close like I figured it would if the treasure was found.. he will be but an asterisks like most of us. perhaps he might have influenced some one's future but an a mass scale it's over until another crazy old man decides to hide a million bucks and challenges everyone to go find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
                    Forrest is probably at risk of violating a gag order if he utters one word about this hunt to anyone, in which case, be patient, it will pass. I am confident that he will address us when he can.
                    1. We'd be able to see the issuance of said order attached to one of the court records.
                    2. Barbara Anderson would be bound by the same said order but she is talking extensively to media.
                    3. The cases in question were never going to go to trial and the audience is so small that tainting the potential jury pool is highly unlikely.
                    4. Because Fenn is the defendant it would be up to him to choose a bench (judge) or jury trial. He'd choose bench because the judge would be better able to distinguish the insanity of the plaintiff and less likely to err toward the side of the "common" person who claims to have been defrauded. A jury would err toward the "wronged" party and be more likely to not understand the nature of the suit or pick apart nuance in a treasure hunting trial.
                    5. Gag orders are very problematic and the issuance of one must meet very, very high levels of necessity. See Nebraska Press Assn v Stewart. They run contrary to the first amendment and must be used very carefully and only after meeting strict merits established by the Supreme Court. Civil suits regarding a treasure will never meet those merits of issuance.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post

I feel like Bilbo Baggins waiting on Gandalf to get on board the white boat for Valar. Worse yet, I'll turn into Gollum if I have to wait too long.
                      LOL I mentioned Gollum today- that I'd be wandering the canyons forever if this thing hadn't ended.

Comment

I was surprised Forrest didn't say more to the rest of us about the end of an era. It seems like he wants the whole thing to go away. I can understand the lawsuits and promises to the finder, but a little reminiscing about how it affected him wouldn't impact either of those.

I was also surprised the finder had zero words to say. Even if I didn't have any idea what to do with it, I'd prepare a brief statement. We know he's had at least since 2018 to think about it.
                        You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Comment

I believe in the big picture! A big picture, an opus bellum, is like a perfect circle! This circle is not yet closed nor perfect and that's why we are all in kind of a state of mental floating, our feet a few inches above the ground, no grip, no chance to move on. Forrest is drawing this circle and the end needs his full concentration! I am sure his full focus is on the last inches to finish it right where it began! So I am ready to wait!

This is the big Willy Wonka test for us all, for me, for the whole search community, for Forrest! For the ones without backbone, crying out it was a hoax or filing lawsuits, this trip will end in the trashcan! But for those who can stay curious, keep up the thrill, prove their patience (not patients), this story will have an end! I trust the architect to have constructed it with an exit door, that let's us go out and look back and we will see a huge impressive building, and we're gonna thank the architect for his proper work!

The Chase is over but the circle needs to be closed and I think it's on the finder and Forrest to do that! I'll wait! Will you?
                          „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
                          G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

I surmise that his wife Peggy maybe bedridden or quite ill and that is preoccupying his attention. Then the finder states he doesn't want him to talk about it, at the same time having to deal with the insane people calling, emailing and the lawsuits. Then there is the media asking for interviews and asking questions.....and we are bent out of shape because he has gone quiet? I personally believe he is under a heavy burden. I for one can't quite figure out how he keeps going. I have a tough time even crawling out of bed each morning and get my shoes tied.

Give him time...he be back. He or another searcher will find a way to release all the clues and the solution.... patience is a virtue.

1f

Comment

I hear you, Sherif Billy , I want to make it all as easy as possible for the guy to just breathe and take care of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X