Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the help of my little radio...A question for Forrest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the help of my little radio...A question for Forrest.

My question for Forrest would be centered on the following that I picked up during my reading of TTOTC and some scrapbooks.

In the chapter, My War for Me, Forrest mentions the concept of a beacon or radio several times;

Firstly, on page 78, in this paragraph;
    "...Some weeks earlier our F-100 single-seat fighters had flown eight ship sorties into North Vietnam where dangerous air lived in great abundance. I could feel it beaconing me to come and see, and I embraced the thought...."

Again, on page 87;
    "...Attempts to contact my wingmen by radio were unsuccessful but the locator beacon in my parachute should have activated automatically. I knew my friends were listening for it..."
    And, again, on page 89;
    "...With the help of my little radio, we were reunited..."
    Each of these references, along with the series of numbers used to describe events in that chapter, led me to wonder if, perhaps, Forrest had build a small transmitter that could work without batteries, sending a signal that a receiver, tuned to right frequency could pick up.

I connected this to the chapter, entitled The Totem Cafe Caper. Here, Forrest writes, "...Frosty started wheezing and making funny sounds...the secret...a few octaves higher than before and it made me wonder about his polarity..." As I had written previously, I believe Forrest was referring to the chest when using the word "Frosty".

And then, Scrapbook 218; https://dalneitzel.com/2019/10/25/sc...dred-eighteen/
    Here’s an old photo of me and Skippy in the back yard of our house in Temple. I don’t remember that car. Wish I had it now.

It looks like my big brother is holding me back from running him over. Makes me wonder what happens to great toys like that when the kids get too big to play with them. They’re probably just thrown in the dump. If I were 50 years younger I might go back to Temple and excavate the dump and see.

The swing behind us is strung from a grape arbor my father built. Can you see the grapes growing up on wire to the left? It’s hard to see the wire, but it’s there just the same. The swing was my mother’s idea.

I don’t know how old I am in that picture, but I was born in 1930. You guess. f

>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>

Ultimately, I was able to hone in on a pretty precise location (44.8637, -111.191130 +/- to -111.19125ish) using just the poem, a combination of poem and memoirs using (words, numbers, drawings), each way confirmed (bias or not, remains to be known) via Scrapbooks and Featured Questions.. The combination of my multiple solutions to arrive at the same area, along with considering this radio frequency approach to fall into the category of specialized knowledge, I did not pursue that path..

With that, my two-part question for Forrest;

Forrest, did you have a sort of transmitter in or around the chest that would enable someone to locate the chest by tuning into the correct frequency?

Second part. If yes to part 1, could that frequency be found in the chapter of TTOTC, My War for Me and/or any other chapter in that memoir?

As a follow up, someone might ask, Did the Retriever use this technique to identify the location of the chest?

Thank you,

Orion.

I can tell you the answer to that one: No.
    A transmitter requires power and an antenna. Any power source will require periodic maintenance. Even if he had a way of doing that without giving away the site, it wouldn't be transmitting on Guard. The Air Force would show up and remove it.

Best,
    -Slashy

Comment

Hello radio frequency is easily picked up by anyone? I think that would put Forrest Fenn in jeopardy in the wild while he waited.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post
        I can tell you the answer to that one: No.
        A transmitter requires power and an antenna. Any power source will require periodic maintenance. Even if he had a way of doing that without giving away the site, it wouldn't be transmitting on Guard. The Air Force would show up and remove it.

Best,
        -Slashy
        That's the kind of specialized knowledge I don't have, which is one of the reasons I focused on other approaches. I had wondered if wire was wrapped around the chest to act as a magnetic coil. I remember having a crystal radio kit as a kid that didn't require batteries but didn't know if such an application could work in this case or whether the transmission of the frequency would be limited to a short distance due to the mountains...like if the chest were in a ravine/canyon about 200 feet from the top, could the signal be picked up at the top or would someone need to get closer to pick it up.

Regards,

O.

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post

That's the kind of specialized knowledge I don't have, which is one of the reasons I focused on other approaches. I had wondered if wire was wrapped around the chest to act as a magnetic coil. I remember having a crystal radio kit as a kid that didn't require batteries but didn't know if such an application could work in this case or whether the transmission of the frequency would be limited to a short distance due to the mountains...like if the chest were in a ravine/canyon about 200 feet from the top, could the signal be picked up at the top or would someone need to get closer to pick it up.

Regards,

O.
          Your crystal radio was a receiver, not a transmitter. In order to transmit, you need power.
          Best,
          -Slashy
          /senior avionics technician

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post

Your crystal radio was a receiver, not a transmitter. In order to transmit, you need power.
            Best,
            -Slashy
            /senior avionics technician
            Ah..there you go...thank you.

If Forrest put a receiver in/around the chest and you had a transmitter tuned to that frequency could you then transmit a sound that could be played back by the receiver in/around the chest?

I'm thinking about Forrest's friend's backyard or garden that had the speakers that looked like rocks.

https://dalneitzel.com/tag/mike-kammerer/
            "...The outside on the south side of the house was inhabited by the swimming pool, hot tub, bathhouse, and about fifteen large sit-on rocks that had their underneaths carved out to house speakers for the audio system. One never knew they were there until one strolled by and the stones started playing music..."

So the chest would have a receiver that did not require power set to a frequency that one would have to know to transmit (using a powered transmitter) while in the area so it could be heard by the Searcher.

But again...not my area of specialized knowledge.

Regards,

Orion

Last edited by ORION; 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Quite welcome!

-Slashy

Comment

If Forrest put a receiver in/around the chest and you had a transmitter tuned to that frequency could you then transmit a sound that could be played back by the receiver in/around the chest?
                Well, you remember how faint your crystal radio was? You could just barely hear it through an earphone? That's really all you can do without an amplifier. Again, that requires power.
                Also, if you start wandering around the mountains transmitting on Guard, the Air Force is going to show up and be very angry with you.

Best,
                -Slashy

Comment

I will take a picture of something that looks like a makeshift weather station near my spot next time. Small 48V P.V. array, battery box, anemometer, vane, and I believe what looked like a camera housing. No visible antenna, but likely due to short-wound antenna (800-meg and up). Still at least a thousand feet away, but very much an interesting set of items nears MY final spot. Nobody from ANY road can see it & you'd have to walk 2 miles off dirt road in the correct direction just to see it.
                  Ask me anything about TxRx (transmitting/receiving) circuits (it was my minor in college)
                  Last edited by 5-leaf Blaze; 07-05-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

This guy's solve involves a beacon. He talks about it towards the end. (His username is "David, Somewhere in Wisconsin.")

https://dalneitzel.com/2020/06/19/im...comment-969666

Comment

Semaphore. signal was so quiet you could hear a pen drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Elle Bell View Post
                        This guy's solve involves a beacon. He talks about it towards the end. (His username is "David, Somewhere in Wisconsin.")

https://dalneitzel.com/2020/06/19/im...comment-969666
                        Too technical. The poem should not be impossible for a bright 13-year-old, or a redneck from Texas, to solve.

Comment

Nothing electrical could be expected to work long-term without periodic maintenance and/or repair, especially if located out in nature.

Comment

The Beacon was SB. Every time the LS moved, the finder moved. Near-synchronized swimming. There are other beacons too, more faint but humming all the time. Low tech and high tech at the same time.

Comment

I am pretty sure You do not need power for a transmitter. During the cold war Russian children gave a wooden gift, Don’t remember exactly what it was, to a US politician. He hung it on his wall in his office and the Russians listened in on his conversations for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X