Letters to a Stranger - December 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
    A lot of effort is represented in your postings. I appreciate the effort, but lost interest before reading all of your messages. Good luck to you.
    I don't mind OP, this has been in my Sent Items since 2016. Just throwing it out there. I know it's probably hard going, I can barely be bothered myself.

Comment

Wed 14 Dec 2016 9:51 PM
      Hi ------- - sometimes I wonder if I have ever had an original thought in my life - but I think my code finding thingy is possibly mad enough to be just that. I would love to go search [my spot at the time] at some point, just to see. It's fun finding places on Google Earth, seeing them from space, then actually visiting. They always look much much different in real life. There's a 4wd track that runs very close - approx. linear 1/4 mile due south - up and over a ridge, but it looks hikeable to my eye. I think I heard him say on a radio show, that he has or had a Jeep. I know he wrote that he drove there in a sedan... but that could mean any four wheeled vehicle. Anyway who knows if the point I've divined is a solve...

Or should I call it... a solution! A solution, a mixture made of two or more substances. Components. Elements. Who started calling it a solve, anyway? I know I've seen Forrest call it a "solve" instead of a "solution". Why did he do that? I don't know. But my current approach to "solutions" involves several elements. Actual periodic table of elements - there are several in the poem - and these are the ones that cover the first and last stanza - and are the ones I've used in the #2 solve

As - Arsenic - element number 33
      I - Iodine - element number 53
      In - Indium - element number 49
      Gold - Au - element number 79
      Uranium - element number 92, split into two parts - 4250

Others, from the obvious, to the less obvious:
      Be - Beryllium - element number 4
      No - Nobellium - element number 102
      "why" - Y - Yttrium - element number 39. It's a bit of a stretch though.
      "but" - the IUPAC prefix for molecules with 4 carbon atoms - could be element number 6 - could be 4x6=24 - it's a stretch too.
      "have" - Hf - Hafnium - element number 72 - this one is probably a bridge too far, to my way of thinking.
      "all" - Al - Aluminum - element number 13 - this too is probably a bridge too far.
      Have I missed any that you can think of? Amongst all that there's at least nine candidates for elements ... Synonym for "clue" is "trace". As in trace element, possibly. So in case it isn't obvious I think the nine clues in the poem could easily be a collection of nine things that are the same, and that is atomic elements.

[For the record I thought of WAY more - Ra In B O W ; Al O Ne ; W He Re ; You = U ; Are = Ar]

Now but wait a minute. How did I get there. Number one, it's because of my frustration from searching. Number one. All the time, there's been a niggle. Every since I read The Thrill of the Chase, and noted that he said "followed precisely". Nothing too precise about the poem. Nothing terribly precise about my searching. Fairly localised, for sure, but nothing I could follow "precisely". An interesting word. The precision I think it possible that Forrest has in mind, involves numbers, that you can look up on a good map, and get to with a GPS. Maps that have UTM grid on them are best for precise fixes. A UTM reference is precise to plus or minus half a meter. Pretty good. GPS with WAAS is at best more precise than Forrest's reference to being able to find it if you're closer than 12 feet.

Number two, it's a couple of MW posts! Of course it is, I hear you say!

A) the one about staying home and playing canasta.
      "Who has been the closest to the chest; man or woman? (that you know of) As far as I know the closest person to the treasure was a man, but there may have been a woman with him. The most common mistake that I see searchers make is that they underestimate the importance of the first clue. If you don’t have that one nailed down you might as well stay home and play Canasta.f" Canasta is a game of collecting cards of the same type.
      B) the one with Jenny asking about his welding. She calls it melding. He comments and says he likes that word. A Canasta is a meld of at least seven cards of the same rank.
      C) other bits and pieces - I think it's plausible that Forrest knows more technical stuff than he lets on. If true, it's plausible that he might well dissemble if it was central to the Chase. I think he's got a fantastic poker face. "Hi Forrest, I’m curious about your time spent in Biloxi, MS, at radar mechanics school, and I was wondering if you received any technical training on electrical/electronic theory and circuitry? Schematics, circuit tracing, troubleshooting components, things like that. That is what the school was about mostly and I’ll admit that I don’t feel rewarded for having attend it." - of course he learned technical stuff.

I like to think Forrest's every misspelling or misuse of language, is a little hint. He's said the person who finds the treasure will have certainty. Numbers give certainty, although how to use them... that's a little uncertain. I think perhaps the first clue is the first word (Arsenic), and the last clue is the last word (Gold) and that leave seven more, and I think I could happily use Yttrium and 4 Carbons (24). And I'm sure there are more ways to use them, than I've come up with so far. I think I've just come up with one. I do like that it's only JUST further north of Santa Fe than 66000 links.

So what do YOU think! Wait, I can hear you now - what about the rest of the words in the poem!!!!

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X