Not far, but too far to walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not far, but too far to walk

I wanted to start a thread on WWWH to see if we could come to some kind of consensus, but I realized that we’d probably never agree on that subject so I decided go with a less controversial line in the poem.

What does Forrest mean by “Not far, but too far to walk”?

Here’s my interpretation:
    Once you locate WWWH and figure out the direction of canyon down, the distance to the next clue is “not far, but too far to walk”. In the preface to his book TFTW he says 10 miles is too far to walk. I took a guess that “Not far” meant less than 20 miles. Based on my interpretation that means the distance from WWWH to “Put in below the home of Brown” is somewhere between 10 and 20 miles. That seemed to work perfectly with my solve. My put-in below the hoB was the raft put-in at Chavez Canyon located about 13 miles from my WWWH (probably more like 18 miles if measured along the river). Of course I suffer from confirmation bias just like almost everyone else around here.

I’d like to know what others think.

I figured that NFBTFTW was anywhere between 20 and 60 miles. 20 miles a day is the edge of walking distance in the Army, and an hour's drive is my idea of "far". My solve had HoB 30 miles away by the implied mode of transportation, 20 miles as the crow flies.

Best,
    -Slashy

Comment

I think FF was being vague in order to keep the poem difficult-to-solve. Most of us here know that a person typically walks thousands of miles in a lifetime. FF let us each interpret "too far to walk" in a
      "pre-furred" way. Maybe he meant that one going there couldn't walk, but could swim, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I do not see "not far" as describing the distance between WWWH and the point of "put in below the home of Brown." Instead it is answering the following question: how far does the searcher go into the "canyon down?" Canyons can be quite lengthy, so the searcher needs to know whether they are stopping at the top of the canyon, the middle section, or at the end of the canyon. I believe that "not far" is telling us that you are going to stop near the top, or beginning, of the canyon. That should also correspond with the "put in" point which is below the home of Brown.

Comment

The first layer of the poem I believe is his feelings heading towards death. Not far,but too far to walk in this layer means time

Comment

I agree that my interpretation of "Not far" could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident about "too far to walk". In the second paragraph on p xiii of TFTW he says "The river distance was about 10 miles" then in the third paragraph he says "it's just too far to walk". It's possible that he could have been referring to the distance out and back (20 miles) as too far to walk. In any case it means the next clue (PIBTHOB) is at least 10 miles from WWWH.

Comment

I'm a thinkin he means you better run....
              Wait, let me rephrase that - "it" better run.
              Last edited by wwwamericana; 06-29-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post
                I'm a thinkin he means you better run....
                Wait, let me rephrase that - "it" better run.
                Define "it" and what is it running from?

Comment

To me it has two meanings:
                  1. The next section will be more than 10 miles.
                  2. If you use 'far to' as homonyms, it points to Forestry Road 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Tornado View Post

Define "it" and what is it running from?
                    I didn't say "it" was running from anything....
                    my nose runs,
                    my car runs,
                    my grandmother's hose always had runs,
                    prunes give me the runs,
                    baseball games are based on runs,
                    my television shows alot of re-runs,
                    my dog enjoys the dog runs at the park,
                    my grandkids always run to me cuz I got candy and cookies,
                    I use to run but I don't anymore,
                    My mouth sometimes runs too much.

Sorry, sometimes I just run on and on - but you get the idea?

Comment

gunshot, arrowflight, boat, wade, fly I don't know but I just spitball.

Comment

Originally posted by atticusfinch315 View Post
                        gunshot, arrowflight, boat, wade, fly I don't know but I just spitball.
                        and that my friend will get you there - just gotta aim.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post

and that my friend will get you there - just gotta aim.
                          Can't aim from here got to go someplace else

Comment

Originally posted by MobyDic12345 View Post
                            To me it has two meanings:
                            1. The next section will be more than 10 miles.
                            2. If you use 'far to' as homonyms, it points to Forestry Road 42.
                            I spent a lot of time thinking about "too far to". I thought It might mean "242" or "to 42" or "2x42", etc. I thought 2x42 = 84 could be a hint a hint for Hwy 84 in NM. I also carefully measured the distance along the Chama River from my WWWH (Rio Nutrias) to my NPFTM (Canada de la Fuertes) and it came out to be 24.2 miles. In hindsight, that was probably just a coincidence. I also considered that it could have been 242 feet from where he parked his car to the treasure location. I never really got anything conclusive out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by atticusfinch315 View Post

Can't aim from here got to go someplace else
                              Well definitely just go when the urge hits you.
                              Don't miss your moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X