Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you " nail down" where warm waters halt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post

Over the many years I played this game, I have figured out quite a bit and have never put together the MT 32 changed to 212. Absolutely well done!

Warm Creek, which is just in the northeast entrance of Yellowstone, would definitely halt at a road that used to be MT 32 (freezing) and now 212 (boiling).

Not sure it makes it the right spot just yet, but this is a perfect example of the cream starting to rise to the top, imo, and has me thinking it might be.

Keep it coming, everyone!

mm
    I had a very short-lived theory that WWWH was the point where Warm Creek went under the road/bridge. It halts on the north side of the road as you are looking down on GE. I thought it was clever, but quickly realized it wasn't right lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post

and it looks like he got the boot(y).
      Somewhere in Wyoming I believe he did.

Comment

Originally posted by minotaur_moreno View Post

Over the many years I played this game, I have figured out quite a bit and have never put together the MT 32 changed to 212. Absolutely well done!

Warm Creek, which is just in the northeast entrance of Yellowstone, would definitely halt at a road that used to be MT 32 (freezing) and now 212 (boiling).

Not sure it makes it the right spot just yet, but this is a perfect example of the cream starting to rise to the top, imo, and has me thinking it might be.

Keep it coming, everyone!

mm
        Also, I came across this video last night that explains WWWH is near the Warm Creek area at the NE Entrance. It's long and a bit boring. I don't agree with everything he says, but I like the way he interprets a lot of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97xwNZUCxuQ

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

I agree with you in that this is an interesting and unique choice for WWWH. The problem is that it is too unique. I don't think WWWH was that difficult to figure out. According to what Forrest said, more than a few people were able to solve the first two clues.
          One of the things I liked best about my Beartooth Hwy solve was the various comments (not sure what Forrest's actual "quotes" were) pertaining to people/searchers being within 500' & 200' feet of the chest. This would occur unintentionally if the treasure was somewhere along Clark's Fork creek, which generally runs next to the highway within those parameters. Plus, some of the comments attributed to Forrest suggest that "their presence there might have been an aberration" (or something like that). So it's still not clear to me that Forrest was acknowledging that the supposed lead searchers had actually solved the first 2 clues.

BTW, I've seen different maps that alternatively show the western terminus of the Beartooth Hwy as being Tower Falls or Cooke City. My solve starts at Cooke City and takes 32/212 in the canyon down heading SE. When I came up with my HoB solve, which is ultimately going to be a rock formation, I checked out YouTube videos and found a unique formation that I believe conforms to my HoB solve and it is located approximately 10 miles from Cooke City (about 1/2 mile NW of Crazy Creek).

Comment

Originally posted by Macahol View Post

One of the things I liked best about my Beartooth Hwy solve was the various comments (not sure what Forrest's actual "quotes" were) pertaining to people/searchers being within 500' & 200' feet of the chest. This would occur unintentionally if the treasure was somewhere along Clark's Fork creek, which generally runs next to the highway within those parameters. Plus, some of the comments attributed to Forrest suggest that "their presence there might have been an aberration" (or something like that). So it's still not clear to me that Forrest was acknowledging that the supposed lead searchers had actually solved the first 2 clues.

BTW, I've seen different maps that alternatively show the western terminus of the Beartooth Hwy as being Tower Falls or Cooke City. My solve starts at Cooke City and takes 32/212 in the canyon down heading SE. When I came up with my HoB solve, which is ultimately going to be a rock formation, I checked out YouTube videos and found a unique formation that I believe conforms to my HoB solve and it is located approximately 10 miles from Cooke City (about 1/2 mile NW of Crazy Creek).
            My solution was in that area also. Lot's of strong connections.

Comment

When he said “nailed down” he was hinting at a type of nail - “Flathead” as in Flathead National Forest- which is just south of Canasta, I mean Canada, darn auto-correct!

Comment

My method for nailing down involved looking at everything FF had ever said about the first clue, noticing how he phrased those things, and thinking about how he would has written the poem. The first 2 things I tried to figure out were...

Is the answer more literal or metaphorical? And...
                Are we dealing with several solutions, or one solution? Should I be able to reason out just one WWWH to rule them all, so to speak?

My answers to these questions, along with his quotes and some simple logic, gave me my eventual solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                  My method for nailing down involved looking at everything FF had ever said about the first clue, noticing how he phrased those things, and thinking about how he would has written the poem. The first 2 things I tried to figure out were...

Is the answer more literal or metaphorical? And...
                  Are we dealing with several solutions, or one solution? Should I be able to reason out just one WWWH to rule them all, so to speak?

My answers to these questions, along with his quotes and some simple logic, gave me my eventual solution.
                  One view brings in endless possibilities. The other leads to the singularity.

Comment

First off, I would learn anything and everything that the "nailed down" comment has to offer, especially Canasta. And since Forrest is talking about the first clue, we know it has to do with the word warm.
                    How many cards are there in the game of canasta?
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	canasta.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	171518
                    If we change the "one to a 1" and re-read the sentence, it has a match to the poem.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	first clue canasta.JPG Views:	1 Size:	149.2 KB ID:	171519
                    If we take the 108 cards that the game of Canasta is played with, then add the 1 that you need to nail down, you have 109. Now to the poem match.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	109 poem character count.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	171520
                    The Sun is 109 times larger than the earth. And when the Sunshine goes down into the canyon at sunset, as we perceive it, all we see is the 109th part of the sun. This is because the sun is 109 times in degrees, larger than the earth. This is why the word "Waters" is plural. Warm waters halt when the Sunshine is going down.

Then if you count from the word "underestimate" to the word Canasta, you have 108. This is an underestimate using canasta, so once you nail that 1 down, it is not underestimated.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	underestimate.JPG Views:	10 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	171522
                    Last edited by OH!!; 06-30-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I had a few for this as well....

Begin it Where warm waters halt
                      Map is mywra Form e afals yart
                      my war for me a fal story
                      my war for me metal story art (Medal Story Art on Page 99)

Lot's of options but interestingly most of them match to a picture in the book or outside story...

Begin it where warm waters halt
                      Pegi n FF where male master art (Peggy and Forrest standing next to the Master Fechins art)
                      Dadi sit wheel were metal shelf (Forrests Dad sitting on the metal shelf (Banco) of his car next to the spare wheel)
                      Pegi nite her mere me (Picture of Pegi and Forrest on their Wedding nite)
                      Map is FF Whole More metal story (Gold and More Story)
                      Map is lite hole Male Motel story (Dude motel Story published in the Montana Gazzett)

And here are some of the results I got from the next line so you can see how they tie into each other

and take it in the Canyon Down
                      on place tint has a change on (Page 99 has a yellow tint to it Daffodills anyone )
                      End fake I fin the con hand own (Did Forrest paint that Fechin painting???)
                      end Fake I fin the cash and own (Goes nicely with the Male Motel Story does he still own it?)
                      on place I "Eye" tint has a change on ( Page 95 the Tint of Forrest eye is shaded just like in the scrapbook about Chaos and Embroidery)
                      an place it in the sun on gown (Goes with Peggy's on her wedding nite wearing her Wedding Gown)

Comment

It had to be NM because that's where I believe we were supposed to look. "Warm" suggested either a warm colour (like red) or temperature (like a warm/hot spring). Because "waters" was plural, it could mean either the confluence of (at least) 2 rivers (Rio Grande and Red River) or 2 (or more) hot springs (Black Rock has 2 springs, one warmer than the other). I couldn't decide which to nail down, but if it was Black Rock Springs, his comment about "arriving at the end and recognizing it for the first time", could suggest that when you get to the end, look for a "black rock". If it was Red River confluence, it would line up better with taking the canyon down and "putting in" at the put in near John Dunn Bridge (the home of brown).

What made the confluence more interesting is that it was exactly 8.25 miles and 8.25 degrees from the blaze pointing north. Forrest's reference to "links", which is a surveying term, might have been used instead of a distance measure alone. So, should we be able to confirm a spot by looking for both distance and direction consistent with "66,000 links north of Santa Fe"? It's amazing how the mind can conjure up all kinds of things to support a spot

Comment

Originally posted by JHSharp View Post

One view brings in endless possibilities. The other leads to the singularity.
                          The funny thing is, there are many correct answers to the place where warm waters halt. Given no other context, they are all correct. That's one of the things that most people never deduced about the puzzle. They all wanted a simple, singular answer to the first clue...something very clever that only they and FF would figure out. But the puzzle was specifically designed so that you are never supposed to know for sure you have the right first clue. Forrest alluded to this many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Sorry. I didn't see this before . I asked on another thread about your WWWH. Could you please give a little more explanation of what you mean by "it is a warm water impoundment by definition". Are you saying that all reservoirs are warm water impoundments? In my solve the hoB is below WWWH, not the other way around.
                            It's on here.

Comment

Sorry Canadakid- I guess I missed that. It does say fishing for warm water species.
                              Last edited by Redneck Girl; 06-30-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I didn't have to "nail down" WWWH. I just left it un-nailed, because it works *well* without having to be nailed down in/to a small location (such as the size of a building). I do believe, however, that "nailed down" is a useful hint from FF.

Comment

Working...
                                X