Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You had the correct Solve but were unable to travel last fall. What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thought experiment went something like this:

Let's say someone is flying out to me with $2,000,000 in a suitcase.
    I get a radio notice that the case has fallen out of the plane into an isolated area.
    The pilot gives me the coordinates where to find it.

What would keep me from retrieving it?

Anyone in that scenario would find some way to go get it immediately.
    (Unless they were in a coma or dead.)
    If they did not, then there was not 100% confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Tess Oreo View Post
      My thought experiment went something like this:

Let's say someone is flying out to me with $2,000,000 in a suitcase.
      I get a radio notice that the case has fallen out of the plane into an isolated area.
      The pilot gives me the coordinates where to find it.

What would keep me from retrieving it?

Anyone in that scenario would find some way to go get it immediately.
      (Unless they were in a coma or dead.)
      If they did not, then there was not 100% confidence.
      That hardly relates to this hunt. Confidence can be good, but a foul stench in the air can be quite a deterrent, if you know what I mean. COVID can also be quite a deterrent. I think da man can wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

That hardly relates to this hunt. Confidence can be good, but a foul stench in the air can be quite a deterrent, if you know what I mean. COVID can also be quite a deterrent. I think da man can wait.
        Feeding your search partner chili-mac the night before a long drive home qualifies as “a foul stench in the air.” Trust me, I’ll never do that again.
        Last edited by elperro; 06-25-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post

Just three votes so far...it's early; there are several days left for the poll. I guess it wouldn't hurt to share a few images along the way.

Peace,

O.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	617
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	169448

Name:	Picture3.png
Views:	246
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	169638

Comment

Fate can be cruel.

After 10 years and not one of over 300,000 Searchers having success in their attempts to solve Forrest Fenn's poem, what are the odds that two people would solve it and identify the location within weeks, perhaps days, of each other?

Imagine if you were the original solver or, at least, one of the two solvers and you were planning a fall trip to the location to mark your birthday with a triumphant retrieval of the chest, hidden by Forrest Fenn more than ten years earlier. Everything was perfect. You had been to the spot several times before, gathering data, refining your solution, dreaming a little of the outcome, a little fearful of what it may bring but mostly hopeful.

On the morning you were to leave to attend the Autism at Work Summit at the Ernie Els Foundation in Florida, you decided that the following week would be the perfect time to finish your quest for the chest. You were going out to Seattle anyway on the 20th so you would add a few days to the front of that trip to celebrate your birthday with a friend, hiking to a special spot in the Rocky Mountains! Perfect!

But then, on the drive to the airport to catch your plane to Florida for the summit, everything changed. You were rear-ended by a twenty-year-old girl who wasn't paying attention (iphones and traffic don't mix) and slammed into you while you were coming to a stop at a traffic light. Everything changed.

Rehabilitation was slow, with several setbacks, including side-effects from the prescribed medication. July would be your next best shot, if recovery went well. But it wasn't going well. Then, in March, you read a Scrapbook where Forrest indicated we should think about a "1 June for BOTG". The juxtaposition of those words. The words "...burr time..." in the sentence preceding that one...PANIC! You knew you couldn't recover by June 1st. Not in your current state. All you could do was wait, heal, rehab and hope. Then, it happened. Forrest announced the treasure had been found.

You held out hope for a few days that maybe it was a hoax or that the chest had only been found but not retrieved. You continued to heal; to work toward the physical shape you would need to be in for the hike. But then, photos of the chest and its contents. Seeming confirmation that the chest was, indeed, retrieved.

You've thought through multiple scenarios. Suing the family of the driver (she was under her mom's insurance) and their insurance company would be an uphill battle: how could you prove the location was correct without dragging Forrest and, possibly, the Retriever into this through costly subpoenas and depositions. And, even if this path were successful, would a cap on the insurance policy make the effort worthwhile after attorneys in 3 or more states were paid? Likely not. Do you want that to be part of the end of the Chase? Why put anyone through that, anyway.

You won't let it go. You can't. Too much time, energy and expense went into your quest. Yes, you had more fun than you had experienced in years but for it to end this way doesn't sit right with you.
            Could there be some way to recoup you loss? Was there a higher reason for this outcome?

You've narrowed down a few options. Which would you choose?

Peace,

Orion

Name:	Timeline to Chaos.3.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	169385
            A couple of votes for connecting with an active Youtuber, so the question is who would you choose?

1. Kpro and Cowlazar
            2. A Gypsy's Kiss
            3. The Flip Side
            4. Sacha and Jason
            5. Other... if so, who?

O.

Comment

A couple of votes for connecting with an active Youtuber, so the question is who would you choose?

1. Kpro and Cowlazar
              2. A Gypsy's Kiss
              3. The Flip Side
              4. Sacha and Jason
              5. Other... if so, who?

O.
              The only "Youtuber" I've ever considered teaming up with is Cynthia.
              "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Comment

Originally posted by Cold_Well View Post

The only "Youtuber" I've ever considered teaming up with is Cynthia.
                Great choice!

Comment

Hi Orion,

I’m sorry to hear about the accident and your injury. If this had not happened there’s no doubt you would have been able to make at least one more trip to your search area.

I think most of us can point to something beyond our control that kept us from doing that last search. I thought I was homing in on it and that I just needed a couple more searches to narrow it down. The best time to search my area would have been April or May, before it got too hot. When Covid hit I made the decision not to search because I was worried that if something happened to me I’d be putting rescue/health care workers at risk. I guess the difference between us is that it was my decision not to go, whereas you had no choice in the matter.

Let me add that, based on what little we know, there’s a chance any one of us could have been the Lead Searcher. IMO there are many of us who thought we were close and are disappointed that the Chase ended when it did.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrasharp sunshine View Post
                    First thing I would do is go have my head examined for even thinking two people could solve the poem at the exact same time. It is maybe a one and done, everything that has happened could never be repeated
                    It was a race to the finish, between two searchers, that's the meaning behind toe to toe.
                    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
                    --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Your solve is too complicated. #1 There are no clues outside the poem. #2 You were supposed to assign a geographic feature to each clue and follow them in sequence. #3 You were supposed to not think about it too hard. I find it highly implausible that your solve could actually be correct.
                      Have you given any thought to the idea that you might have been mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post
                        Your solve is too complicated. #1 There are no clues outside the poem. #2 You were supposed to assign a geographic feature to each clue and follow them in sequence. #3 You were supposed to not think about it too hard. I find it highly implausible that your solve could actually be correct.
                        Your #3 made me think of my HoB. Without giving it too much thought it seemed like the HoB could be a monastery because monks wear brown robes. At least that's what a 13-year old might think.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSlash27 View Post
                          I am not certain who you are addressing but, since it is my thread, I will presume you are addressing me. So, let's see,

My solution is made up of several confirmations:
                          • The coordinates as derived from the poem;
                          • The coordinates as found in the book, The Thrill of the Chase;
                          • Photos of:
                            • Crooked Sight of the Daisy Rifle
                            • Asian Man with Two Canes
                            • Kachina Gallery
                            • Catcher in the Rye
                            • WWWH
                            • Heavy Lodes
                            • Barbed-wire fence
                            • Window
                            • Ball of String
                            • Slide
                            • Father Sitting on the Edge of a Cloud
                            • Gypsies dancing around the fire
                            • Many more
                          In addition, I can explain the importance of the the following:
                          • Double Omegas
                          • Being Right about 85% of the Time
                          • Time
                          • The significance of being in the middle
                          • Photo of June, Forrest and Skippy at Hebgen Lake
                          • Drawing in TTOTC, No Place for Biddies
                          • Drawing in TTOTC, Gypsy Magic and mirror image
                          • Drawing in TTOTC, Buffalo Cowboys
                          • June never getting switched as she was probably always right
                          • "Teachers with Ropes" chapter in TTOTC
                          • Leaving the "w" out of Edard's name to save time
                          • The story of Forrest jumping off the bridge
                          • Umbilically attached
                          • Backward bicycle
                          • Dizzy Dean Scrapbook
                          • Time Stamp on Dizzy Dean pages
                          • Signed Book, Revised Edition of Once Upon a While
                          • Flurry of Scrapbooks in Fall of 2019, with particular focus on SB 209 and SB 212, both in October, and in SB 250 from March of this year
                          • Ties between emails and subsequent Scrapbooks and Featured Questions dating back to June of 2018
                          I'd say that all adds up to a pretty good amount of confidence.

Someone wrote I should have sent a friend. In fact, there are two people I could have sent who live within a couple of hours drive of the location. Well, I could have sent one if he were not recovering from double knee surgery and I could have sent the other, who himself was within 12 or 15 feet of the spot as recently as July of last year, if he was not dealing with a hip and back issue. I'm back east so I didn't have the opportunity to just drive out to the Put-in one Saturday in August or September to take that hike alone. October 18th was perfect...right up until I was rear-ended on the 10th.

I was prepared to go alone, as I had a couple of times before. The story I wrote about coming across grizzly scat so fresh it was still steaming - so fresh flies had not yet found the pile - and seeing the grass move in a way that let me know it wasn't the wind moving it....true story.

There is some time before this poll ends. A few days. I'll post some more images leading up to the deadline. And think some more, as I had last summer while sitting under that tree. Some of those thoughts still linger:
                          • "...two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead..";
                          • "...I still remember the sense of accomplishment I felt when I sat on some guy's grave marker.";
                          • "...A kid really has time to think in a graveyard..."
                          Adults do, too.

Peace,

Orion

Comment

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	280
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	169796

Name:	Picture3.png
Views:	273
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	169797

Name:	Picture6.png
Views:	281
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	169798

Peace,

Orion

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

Your #3 made me think of my HoB. Without giving it too much thought it seemed like the HoB could be a monastery because monks wear brown robes. At least that's what a 13-year old might think.
                              Plausible. If a monastery figured into his writing and it's a compelling link in the chain from WWWH to the blaze, then sure. Odds are it's not correct, but at least it's plausible.
                              The reason I keep black- pilling people about their solves isn't because I'm a mean person or because I think my solve is the correct answer... it's just that it's so unhealthy to come at it from the perspective of "my solve was correct". That's what's driving all of the obsession, angst, and conspiracy theories. It starts with "Man, I had it!" and quickly devolves into "it was a hoax", "someone stole it from me", etc. It's much better to acknowledge that your solve probably wasn't right anyway, congratulate the dude who figured it out, and appreciate the experiences you gained from participating in the hunt.
                              There are only two people on the planet who can say with absolute certainty that their solve is correct: Forrest Fenn and the finder. Anyone else is just deluding themselves and making themselves miserable in the process.

Best,
                              -Slashy

Comment

Orion,
                                Yessir, I was addressing you. As I said, too complicated, you relied on "clues" from sources where FF said they don't exist, and you didn't follow FF's instructions. Your solve is almost certainly not correct. I can't say "certainly" because I don't know where it was myself.
                                Apologies,
                                -Slashy
                                Last edited by GoSlash27; 06-25-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X