Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You had the correct Solve but were unable to travel last fall. What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You had the correct Solve but were unable to travel last fall. What would you do?

Fate can be cruel.

After 10 years and not one of over 300,000 Searchers having success in their attempts to solve Forrest Fenn's poem, what are the odds that two people would solve it and identify the location within weeks, perhaps days, of each other?

Imagine if you were the original solver or, at least, one of the two solvers and you were planning a fall trip to the location to mark your birthday with a triumphant retrieval of the chest, hidden by Forrest Fenn more than ten years earlier. Everything was perfect. You had been to the spot several times before, gathering data, refining your solution, dreaming a little of the outcome, a little fearful of what it may bring but mostly hopeful.

On the morning you were to leave to attend the Autism at Work Summit at the Ernie Els Foundation in Florida, you decided that the following week would be the perfect time to finish your quest for the chest. You were going out to Seattle anyway on the 20th so you would add a few days to the front of that trip to celebrate your birthday with a friend, hiking to a special spot in the Rocky Mountains! Perfect!

But then, on the drive to the airport to catch your plane to Florida for the summit, everything changed. You were rear-ended by a twenty-year-old girl who wasn't paying attention (iphones and traffic don't mix) and slammed into you while you were coming to a stop at a traffic light. Everything changed.

Rehabilitation was slow, with several setbacks, including side-effects from the prescribed medication. July would be your next best shot, if recovery went well. But it wasn't going well. Then, in March, you read a Scrapbook where Forrest indicated we should think about a "1 June for BOTG". The juxtaposition of those words. The words "...burr time..." in the sentence preceding that one...PANIC! You knew you couldn't recover by June 1st. Not in your current state. All you could do was wait, heal, rehab and hope. Then, it happened. Forrest announced the treasure had been found.

You held out hope for a few days that maybe it was a hoax or that the chest had only been found but not retrieved. You continued to heal; to work toward the physical shape you would need to be in for the hike. But then, photos of the chest and its contents. Seeming confirmation that the chest was, indeed, retrieved.

You've thought through multiple scenarios. Suing the family of the driver (she was under her mom's insurance) and their insurance company would be an uphill battle: how could you prove the location was correct without dragging Forrest and, possibly, the Retriever into this through costly subpoenas and depositions. And, even if this path were successful, would a cap on the insurance policy make the effort worthwhile after attorneys in 3 or more states were paid? Likely not. Do you want that to be part of the end of the Chase? Why put anyone through that, anyway.

You won't let it go. You can't. Too much time, energy and expense went into your quest. Yes, you had more fun than you had experienced in years but for it to end this way doesn't sit right with you.
    Could there be some way to recoup you loss? Was there a higher reason for this outcome?

You've narrowed down a few options. Which would you choose?

Peace,

Orion

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timeline to Chaos.3.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	169385
    Post the Location first, follow up with the solution(s); set up a GoFundMe Page
    14.29%
    Post the solution(s) step-by-step first, leading up to the location and set up a GoFundMe Page
    42.86%
    Post a poll, wait for contact from Forrest and/or Retriever within 5 days, then act
    14.29%
    Set up your own Youtube Channel, share location & solution(s); set up a GoFundMe Page
    0%
    Connect with an active Youtuber to share your story on their channel; set up a GoFundMe Page
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

Not to come across as unsympathetic (that does truly suck), but IMO "to the victor go the spoils". It matters not a whit whether you had the correct solve (even if you had it first) if you weren't the first to go and collect it, no matter the reason. You (and by extension the rest of us) are owed nothing. Also, you (like the rest of us) *believe* you had the correct solve... but you don't really know and you may never know.
    If you'd like, feel free to add your treasure location to the community map Perhaps the correct solve and location will be revealed and you can see how well you actually did. But really... Not much of anything to gain from this beyond that.

Best,
    -Slashy

Comment

So it often helps to re-write the scenario in a different or more extreme way.

Let's use the lottery scenario.
      You are one amongst hundreds (even millions) of other players selecting your numbers for the $500 million dollar Powerball jackpot.
      You had a premonition - a dream, that the numbers would be 1, 17, 27, 33, 44 with a powerball of 11.
      You were convinced. It was so clear. It was fate. It was the hand of god.
      You still had a bunch of blank powerball tickets in the house (the kind where you fill in your own numbers with a pencil and then return to the gas station).
      You carefully pencil over the little boxes that denote the very numbers you dreamed about.
      You are careful - you triple-check the ticket several times.
      You grab your keys and your wallet (and your precious yet-to-be-submitted lottery ticket) and head for the door.
      You are pulling out of your driveway and a woman ignores a blatantly red light near your block and runs smack into your car.
      You are injured - your car totaled. Your un-processed ticket flutters is torn and burned (and forgotten).
      You never make it to the gas station - but instead head to the hospital for days of care.
      But that night - your dream came true. The numbers for that half-billion dollar powerball came up JUST as you had foreseen. 1, 17, 27, 33 and 44 (with powerball 11)

Do you REALLY think you have a legal case to sue the woman who hit you because you didn't actually get to the gas station to submit a hand-picked powerball ticket?
      Do you REALLY think you have a case to sue the lottery commission or state of whereveryoulive?
      Do you REALLY think that anyone who hears that story and doesn't have access to YOUR supposed lottery numbers will be sympathetic enough to give you monies via a go-fund-me?
      You never actually BOUGHT a ticket for the lottery. So you CAN'T receive any monies.

If you think that other searchers who all have their OWN tales of what-ifs and woe are going to contribute to yet ANOTHER claimant who insists that they can't POSSIBLY have an incorrect solve - you are mistaken.

I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive (I feel the utmost sympathy for ANYONE injured in an accident like that) - but your insistence you simply MUST have the correct solve is beyond my understanding (especially as we have no and will probably continue to have no data on the 'correct' solve for a long time to come)

Comment

The Chase and your accident are 2 separate issues. # 2 seems like the option to go with but I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

Comment

Orion or Hunter, I have always like what you had to offer, less the weird 3rd person stuff. It's time to bury that bad boy solve of yours. If your solve was correct, you were not brave enough to go get it. I know you had a bad accident, I am sorry for that, but there had to be someone (like your hiker friend) who could have went with you to do some dirty work at your location. Also, nobody is going to put money in a go fund me. Why? Is this for subpoena's and depositions? That's just nonsense. You should post your solve. This way if you were right, you wouldn't look like another crazy person who thinks they were the one who was correct; I.E. it was stolen, or hacked, or followed, or covid quarantined, or my horoscope said wait until June 16th at 2:39 pm, or my dog ate my solve, etc, etc. You seem to good of a person for these types of shenanigan's.

Comment

Originally posted by casperjeff View Post
            your insistence you simply MUST have the correct solve is beyond my understanding (especially as we have no and will probably continue to have no data on the 'correct' solve for a long time to come)
            ^ This, about a million times. Everyone on this forum believes they had the correct solve (else it wouldn't be their solve), but some are more emotionally attached to their solve's correctness than others. That's not healthy IMO. In fact, I would argue that the more emotionally attached you are to your solve, the *less* likely it is to be correct, thus the less reason to be emotionally attached to it in the first place.
            Last edited by GoSlash27; 06-24-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Every time Indianan Jones made a discovery it was taken from him by his nemesis

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post
                This is true, but at least Indy had the discovery his hands, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post
                  Fate can be cruel.

After 10 years and not one of over 300,000 Searchers having success in their attempts to solve Forrest Fenn's poem, what are the odds that two people would solve it and identify the location within weeks, perhaps days, of each other?

Imagine if you were the original solver or, at least, one of the two solvers and you were planning a fall trip to the location to mark your birthday with a triumphant retrieval of the chest, hidden by Forrest Fenn more than ten years earlier. Everything was perfect. You had been to the spot several times before, gathering data, refining your solution, dreaming a little of the outcome, a little fearful of what it may bring but mostly hopeful.

On the morning you were to leave to attend the Autism at Work Summit at the Ernie Els Foundation in Florida, you decided that the following week would be the perfect time to finish your quest for the chest. You were going out to Seattle anyway on the 20th so you would add a few days to the front of that trip to celebrate your birthday with a friend, hiking to a special spot in the Rocky Mountains! Perfect!

But then, on the drive to the airport to catch your plane to Florida for the summit, everything changed. You were rear-ended by a twenty-year-old girl who wasn't paying attention (iphones and traffic don't mix) and slammed into you while you were coming to a stop at a traffic light. Everything changed.

Rehabilitation was slow, with several setbacks, including side-effects from the prescribed medication. July would be your next best shot, if recovery went well. But it wasn't going well. Then, in March, you read a Scrapbook where Forrest indicated we should think about a "1 June for BOTG". The juxtaposition of those words. The words "...burr time..." in the sentence preceding that one...PANIC! You knew you couldn't recover by June 1st. Not in your current state. All you could do was wait, heal, rehab and hope. Then, it happened. Forrest announced the treasure had been found.

You held out hope for a few days that maybe it was a hoax or that the chest had only been found but not retrieved. You continued to heal; to work toward the physical shape you would need to be in for the hike. But then, photos of the chest and its contents. Seeming confirmation that the chest was, indeed, retrieved.

You've thought through multiple scenarios. Suing the family of the driver (she was under her mom's insurance) and their insurance company would be an uphill battle: how could you prove the location was correct without dragging Forrest and, possibly, the Retriever into this through costly subpoenas and depositions. And, even if this path were successful, would a cap on the insurance policy make the effort worthwhile after attorneys in 3 or more states were paid? Likely not. Do you want that to be part of the end of the Chase? Why put anyone through that, anyway.

You won't let it go. You can't. Too much time, energy and expense went into your quest. Yes, you had more fun than you had experienced in years but for it to end this way doesn't sit right with you.
                  Could there be some way to recoup you loss? Was there a higher reason for this outcome?

Peace,

Orion

For a minute I thought you were trolling me because that's basically what happened to me last fall. Well, not the accident thing. But, I was already to head to New Mexico over the Thanksgiving Holiday and my birthday to finish digging up the chest. My employer told me they would not give me time off without pay. So, basically, I had two options..... Quit my job or hope nobody would find my mess and the chest. And, we know now why I should have told my employer to stick it!

Comment

You had the correct Solve but were unable to travel last fall. What would you do?
                    Take that year back

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post
                      i can dig the Indiana business. A true treasure hunter. Taking the challenge is more of a game of methodical, creative, intelligence. Rabbit holes are fun, and then digging a rabbit hole in the field but being a jackass about it can be costly and even deadly. I can guarantee everyone, this one little story is the best one, out of everyone in the entire chase, barring those who passed, as that is the ultimate trip. God bless them all, including the unknown ones we will never know about.

Comment

Fate can be cruel.

Peace,

Orion

Just three votes so far...it's early; there are several days left for the poll. I guess it wouldn't hurt to share a few images along the way.

Peace,

O.

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	617
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	169448

Comment

Did he tell Cynthia because he knew it was over, or because he had a plan, and is executing it now. It doesn't matter if ls divulges or not. Maybe ls just gets the treat. Did f get beat and he's bumbed.

If you divulge some, we'll know you were right there. Do it subversively. Tiny tidbits. That protects you from the mysterious hackathon. Nobody had the same solve, unless they communicated.

Comment

Fate can be cruel.

Peace,

Orion

I see a vote for posting of the location first. That makes me think that I may need to ask a clarifying question on that at some point:

Maybe a separate poll on that one:

Posting the location first - would that mean:
                            1. A map of the area
                            2. A map of the area with coordinates
                            3. A map of the area with images of things in the area that map to stories in TTOTC
                            4. The coordinates as found in the poem
                            5. The coordinates as found in the book, TTOTC

We'll see.

Thank you,

O.

Comment

First thing I would do is go have my head examined for even thinking two people could solve the poem at the exact same time. It is maybe a one and done, everything that has happened could never be repeated

Comment

Working...
                              X