That site and their claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That site and their claims

Ok, so everyone going on about that BS site claiming they found the TC, moved it, wanted money in escrow to exchange for the TC. Since toby put support behind it, many are now looking at it. So I talked to a couple of folks today.

The timing does not align from the way back machine on announcement, etc.

The site is insecure, has “phishing” attempts when you access it

A lawyer told me there would not be an escrow company that would do this transaction due to liabilities. (Pending lawsuits, etc).

This would mean F lies in many ways:
    TC was not in its final location when he walked away from it.
    The TC was not found a couple days before he announced it.
    Poem to the finder to a precise location of the TC from where F hid it.
    F said it was NOT MOVE. (Kind of an exact smack in the face of the sites claims)

I have more, lost several hours of my life researching this one...... but in short, no, just no.
    “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

That‘s what I say... just NO!
    „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
    G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post
      Ok, so everyone going on about that BS site claiming they found the TC, moved it, wanted money in escrow to exchange for the TC. Since toby put support behind it, many are now looking at it. So I talked to a couple of folks today.

A lawyer told me there would not be an escrow company that would do this transaction due to liabilities. (Pending lawsuits, etc).

F said it was NOT MOVE. (Kind of an exact smack in the face of the sites claims)

I have more, lost several hours of my life researching this one...... but in short, no, just no.
      Forrest stated "few" days. Which is more than a couple but as he said before " not many more" . Many also means numerous. Numerous is a "great many" . So, the spectrum is much more than people think.
      Last edited by Quest; 06-22-2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2F1401E2-AEE3-4EE3-80BA-985D7D249076.jpeg
Views:	1254
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	168663 FF speak out from the past.
        “Positivity triumphs over negativity” - famous quote by the famous Cowlazars 2018

Comment

He DID nOT even just say that treasure back at the spot(!?) DID HE?

Comment

Yeah, saw that on FB when it came out... good job!

I wonder why Toby is falling for this strange theory!? I mean I stopped listening when he explained that the chest was moved and rehidden „within the boundaries“ of whatever and that in his eyes this means it hadn‘t been moved. Kind of a flawed argument... hmmm?
            „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
            G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

?!MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO!? !QQ! That stuff is current! Oh PLEASEPLEASE LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 5-leaf Blaze View Post
                ?!MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO!? !QQ! That stuff is current! Oh PLEASEPLEASE LOL
                Hmmm?
                G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

I know no one likes the idea that the chest was found this way, but I believe it.

Wayback machine doesnt't align.

When I look it shows an active site from 2015-2018, some Phil guy, nothing to do with this. Then he let his domain expire so there's nothing in 2018. Then these guys bought the domain February this year, and the site was only crawled by Wayback once on June 10th. That's normal, lots of small sites don't have any wayback entries. Wayback doesn't record every day of a site's existence.

The site is insecure, has “phishing” attempts when you access it.

It doesn't do this for me, that's possibly a security certificate thing, maybe your settings? Lots of people are accessing it without this. It's just a regular Wordpress blog with 1 page of text and a contact form page. forrestfenntreasure.com does seem to be working for plenty of people.

Doesn't that depend on finding the right lawyer? If someone is millionaire(billionaire?!) wealthy and wanted to do this deal wouldn't there be a way? There are even no questions asked escrow sites online. You can do escrow using a website and without a lawyer. If two people want to do a deal this way it could work, though the sellers are more at risk than the buyer if they used the site maximum as the first payment and not the full amount.

F lies : TC was not in its final location when he walked away from it.

"It hadn't moved in the 10 years ago since he walked away from it..." This is true, for the first finder. He's no need to explain the rest of the complicated tale. Also, as I'll explain in another point below I think the 'buyer' could have found it in the real location.

F lies: The TC was not found a couple days before he announced it.

The quote on it being found "a few days ago" isn't a direct quote from Fenn saying this, at least not from what I've seen. Doesn't it come from the Sante Fe paper, and then got used elsewhere?

"It's true," Fenn told The New Mexican in a phone call Sunday, adding that the finder of his chest located the valuable goods "a few days ago."

What if Fenn's statement meant the buyer of the chest located it a few days ago? It kind of has two 'finders' if you believe this site. The original finder and the buyer who finds it in the forest. You'd use 'finder' for either person - unless you want to get into a complicated backstory. Are we really expecting Fenn to be so precise that 'finder' only means the first time it was found? He could hardly call the 'buyer' anything but 'finder' when talking about the end of the chase. It's not even a lie, he's just the second finder.

Also, we just don't know when it was retrieved. It could be that Fenn heard it had been found, receiving the email and pictures and told the paper "a few days ago" and the paper editorialised/assumed the rest. Who wouldn't think it was found in a straightforward way with the pictures sent on the day it was found? Note the only bit in quote marks is "a few days ago". I do media work, this is the thing papers do when they don't have an exact quote they want to use. The bit they needed was "a few days ago", so all we really know is that he said something happened then. The whole sentence quote isn't written in the paper. Though maybe there is a full, clearer, quote on this that I've missed?

F lies: Poem to the finder to a precise location of the TC from where F hid it.

" I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot."

That could refer to the person who solved the poem and found it. Who then sold it on. The poem certainly did lead the finder to the correct spot, this doesn't really tell us much, you could read this in many ways. You could even put the emphasis on 'I do not know the person who found it'. Is that because they never got in touch with him, only the buyer?

F lies: F said it was NOT MOVE. (Kind of an exact smack in the face of the sites claims)

The site guys only said they moved it while they were in the process of selling it.

I'm not sure why people think they didn't sell the solve to the buyer too? It doesn't say this anywhere that I can see. I think Toby called your show and said something different. The site only says the buyer paid for them to keep quiet when they prefered to get media about their solve. So it's perfectly possible that they sold the solve details too and put the chest back where it was, to give their rich buyer the full 'Fenn special spot' experience.

Though it is also possible they didn't, as Fenn really couldn't know if it was in the spot or moved 10 feet or 1 mile. It's just not possible that he can track it that closely. No one has been able to come up with a plausible way that 'I haven't been back to the chest' and 'its still there' fits together. I guess the most logical thing is that there's an incentive for the chest owner to declare the find to Fenn when its claimed.

It's odd to think that his site's story means that Fenn would probably think this site is a scam like the rest of us, or at least not be sure. He would say the chest is where it was still, because he hadn't been told it was found. He was in the dark and would just assume it was still there.

F lies: General points
                  Fenn is being quiet, not giving interviews, saying little and mostly through careful releases a few lines long. It's almost like he's trying to avoid saying the wrong thing or talking about a difficult situation. Maybe he's avoiding a situation or question where he might be forced into a lie about this odd ending?

Full disclosure
                  I'm kind of friendly with the guys who run forrestfenntreasure.com. Only in the extremely limited way anyone can get friendly through contact form messages and posts on their site! They are definitely good people and they have a sense of humour. They are also part of the community, they 'get' treasure hunting and how people feel now. Perhaps all that can be true and they set up a scam site too? Maybe so.... I just judge people by their actions and they were very nice linking to my site. I've heard no one say they have been scammed. So it's 1-O to the nice team. The nasty team has no evidence of any wrongs from these people.

Comment

I wasted a couple of thought cells, but I stored them in the trillion wasted thought cell folder.

Comment

Yah, My brain hurts from all this. I'm ready to put it to bed and move on but it's like an awesome train wreck. You just can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by tootingjo View Post
                        I know no one likes the idea that the chest was found this way, but I believe it.

Wayback machine doesnt't align.

When I look it shows an active site from 2015-2018, some Phil guy, nothing to do with this. Then he let his domain expire so there's nothing in 2018. Then these guys bought the domain February this year, and the site was only crawled by Wayback once on June 10th. That's normal, lots of small sites don't have any wayback entries. Wayback doesn't record every day of a site's existence.

The site is insecure, has “phishing” attempts when you access it.

It doesn't do this for me, that's possibly a security certificate thing, maybe your settings? Lots of people are accessing it without this. It's just a regular Wordpress blog with 1 page of text and a contact form page. forrestfenntreasure.com does seem to be working for plenty of people.

Doesn't that depend on finding the right lawyer? If someone is millionaire(billionaire?!) wealthy and wanted to do this deal wouldn't there be a way? There are even no questions asked escrow sites online. You can do escrow using a website and without a lawyer. If two people want to do a deal this way it could work, though the sellers are more at risk than the buyer if they used the site maximum as the first payment and not the full amount.

F lies : TC was not in its final location when he walked away from it.

"It hadn't moved in the 10 years ago since he walked away from it..." This is true, for the first finder. He's no need to explain the rest of the complicated tale. Also, as I'll explain in another point below I think the 'buyer' could have found it in the real location.

F lies: The TC was not found a couple days before he announced it.

The quote on it being found "a few days ago" isn't a direct quote from Fenn saying this, at least not from what I've seen. Doesn't it come from the Sante Fe paper, and then got used elsewhere?

"It's true," Fenn told The New Mexican in a phone call Sunday, adding that the finder of his chest located the valuable goods "a few days ago."

What if Fenn's statement meant the buyer of the chest located it a few days ago? It kind of has two 'finders' if you believe this site. The original finder and the buyer who finds it in the forest. You'd use 'finder' for either person - unless you want to get into a complicated backstory. Are we really expecting Fenn to be so precise that 'finder' only means the first time it was found? He could hardly call the 'buyer' anything but 'finder' when talking about the end of the chase. It's not even a lie, he's just the second finder.

Also, we just don't know when it was retrieved. It could be that Fenn heard it had been found, receiving the email and pictures and told the paper "a few days ago" and the paper editorialised/assumed the rest. Who wouldn't think it was found in a straightforward way with the pictures sent on the day it was found? Note the only bit in quote marks is "a few days ago". I do media work, this is the thing papers do when they don't have an exact quote they want to use. The bit they needed was "a few days ago", so all we really know is that he said something happened then. The whole sentence quote isn't written in the paper. Though maybe there is a full, clearer, quote on this that I've missed?

F lies: Poem to the finder to a precise location of the TC from where F hid it.

" I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot."

That could refer to the person who solved the poem and found it. Who then sold it on. The poem certainly did lead the finder to the correct spot, this doesn't really tell us much, you could read this in many ways. You could even put the emphasis on 'I do not know the person who found it'. Is that because they never got in touch with him, only the buyer?

F lies: F said it was NOT MOVE. (Kind of an exact smack in the face of the sites claims)

The site guys only said they moved it while they were in the process of selling it.

I'm not sure why people think they didn't sell the solve to the buyer too? It doesn't say this anywhere that I can see. I think Toby called your show and said something different. The site only says the buyer paid for them to keep quiet when they prefered to get media about their solve. So it's perfectly possible that they sold the solve details too and put the chest back where it was, to give their rich buyer the full 'Fenn special spot' experience.

Though it is also possible they didn't, as Fenn really couldn't know if it was in the spot or moved 10 feet or 1 mile. It's just not possible that he can track it that closely. No one has been able to come up with a plausible way that 'I haven't been back to the chest' and 'its still there' fits together. I guess the most logical thing is that there's an incentive for the chest owner to declare the find to Fenn when its claimed.

It's odd to think that his site's story means that Fenn would probably think this site is a scam like the rest of us, or at least not be sure. He would say the chest is where it was still, because he hadn't been told it was found. He was in the dark and would just assume it was still there.

F lies: General points
                        Fenn is being quiet, not giving interviews, saying little and mostly through careful releases a few lines long. It's almost like he's trying to avoid saying the wrong thing or talking about a difficult situation. Maybe he's avoiding a situation or question where he might be forced into a lie about this odd ending?

Full disclosure
                        I'm kind of friendly with the guys who run forrestfenntreasure.com. Only in the extremely limited way anyone can get friendly through contact form messages and posts on their site! They are definitely good people and they have a sense of humour. They are also part of the community, they 'get' treasure hunting and how people feel now. Perhaps all that can be true and they set up a scam site too? Maybe so.... I just judge people by their actions and they were very nice linking to my site. I've heard no one say they have been scammed. So it's 1-O to the nice team. The nasty team has no evidence of any wrongs from these people.

All interesting, but the baby was put to bead with the direct email from Shawn and Forrest.

And now that you say the owner of that site has a sense of humor..... well..... sounds right to me. Just a joke, and elaborate joke.

Comment

Forrest said what he thought was true. He hadn't been approached by the guys who took the chest last year, so what else is he going to say?

Comment

Actually I guess there are a few possibilities as to what happened.

Fenn hadn't heard from the forrestfenntreasure guys who'd moved the chest, but he got this email asking him if the chest was still there. So he replied 1 hour later with his answer, and did one of these things.

a) He checked his 10 year battery laser device and replied with 'yes, it's there.'

b) He dispatched a trained bird of prey to scout the treasure location and replied, 'yes it's there.'

c) He sent his zombie henchman (two can keep a secret if one of them etc...) to check whether the chest had been moved, then said, 'yes, it's there.'

d) He used his gypsy magic scrying device and said, 'yes, the chest's still there.'

or...

e) He trusted human nature, and a bit of paper in the chest that said 'Please get in touch as soon as you find this, I'll make it worth your while by buying it back.'

But sadly, if it is e the chest finder probably realised he'd make more profit by moving to a tax haven and auctioning the chest's location to the highest bidder.

All just theories... Perhaps we'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by tootingjo View Post
                              Forrest said what he thought was true. He hadn't been approached by the guys who took the chest last year, so what else is he going to say?
                              You explain my thoughts better than I ever could.

100% agree that everything you said could be true. But without more evidence, it remains in my "could be true" category which spans the gamut from "might be true" all the way to "probably is true."

I understand the skepticism, but I have seen enough skepticism that would convince me the website is a hoax. And I was among the first to bash that site, mock and ridicule it as being as dumb as all of the other jokers, pranksters, hoaxers, scammers, and people who have falsely claimed to have found the chest.

Yes, I am greatly influenced by Toby's call-in to the show to explain "Jim's Theory." It was Jim's Theory and NOT Toby's Theory, so presumably, Toby had no real bias one way or the other when he apparently investigated Jim's Theory. Remember that Toby has some kind of an analytical background in the military which I assume came with some training on how to analyze and interpret information. To whatever degree Toby might be accomplished or expert in investigative techniques, he is no dummy. Nor would he risk his reputation in the searcher community (over 6k subscribers), on something that wasn't at least possibly correct. It's the same kind of thing as you don't have to agree that WWWH is Trout Waters, but you can't prove it isn't. In other words, just because a theory is a good one, doesn't prove it is correct. Toby has proven to me that Jim's Theory is a good one, but even he will tell you that alone does not prove it is true.

They snared me on that website by saying they left something of value at the real correct spot. Saying that, true or not, makes me WANT to believe them! So I am biased by that, and admit it openly and more importantly, to myself.

If that is true, they left something of value at the correct special place, then they could not have told the Buyer exactly where that it or how they solved the poem. So the buyer don't know, and Fenn ain't saying.

If this were all a collaborative book or movie script, I would vote for this kind of muddy ending... I love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X