Searcher vs Hunter vs Chaser vs Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
    "I have not said that a searcher was closer than 12’ from the treasure. It is not likely that anyone would get that close and not find it."
    Geee, thanks C. Guess it's back to my sewer solve. I was sorta trying to avoid that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IT 2.png
Views:	360
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	157804

Click image for larger version  Name:	IT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.0 KB ID:	157803

Comment

How deep is a hole?

Comment

Originally posted by Old blue
        How close do you think searchers have been to the trove
        without picking it up and leaving with it.

Forrest has said searchers have been within 200 feet, but didn't know it. One quote can lead one to believe he meant ~200 and not 0 to 200 feet.
        IMO, some searchers were standing at the blaze, right above the trove looking down at the chest.. The paradox though is that it takes 200 feet to walk, to get to the proximity of the chest.

Comment

Originally posted by MobyDic12345 View Post

IMO, some searchers were standing at the blaze, right above the trove looking down at the chest.. The paradox though is that it takes 200 feet to walk, to get to the proximity of the chest.
          Maybe, although I think Forrest has been pretty clear the 200 foot searcher(s) were not mentally close. They had at most two clues solved.

Comment

Maybe, although I think Forrest has been pretty clear the 200 foot searcher(s) were not mentally close. They had at most two clues solved.
            The 200-footer has been one of the most confusing hints of all for me, mostly because of the different ways I've seen it worded:
            http://mysteriouswritings.com/forres...chest-remarks/
            This searcher(s) must have had at least one and possibly two clues solved, and walked within 200 feet. That tells me there must be something visible on either GE or when BOTG that this searcher(s) found interesting enough to investigate. It also seems to imply there is nothing visible from a distance that would make the exact hidey spot of the treasure seem particularly interesting.
            Last edited by Redneck Girl; 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

The 200-footer has been one of the most confusing hints of all for me, mostly because of the different ways I've seen it worded:
              http://mysteriouswritings.com/forres...chest-remarks/
              This searcher(s) must have had at least one and possibly two clues solved, and walked within 200 feet. That tells me there must be something visible on either GE or when BOTG that this searcher(s) found interesting enough to investigate. It also seems to imply there is nothing visible from a distance that would make the exact hidey spot of the treasure seem particularly interesting.
              I agree with most of that. I think the 200 footer could have had zero clues solved as well, or maybe f didn't know how many. I do think it's a hint there is a trail or place you would likely walk about 200 feet away from the treasure though. Somewhere along that path, you might take a picture, and yes, there may be nothing particularly interesting at the treasure other than maybe a similar view.

Comment

I agree with most of that. I think the 200 footer could have had zero clues solved as well, or maybe f didn't know how many. I do think it's a hint there is a trail or place you would likely walk about 200 feet away from the treasure though. Somewhere along that path, you might take a picture, and yes, there may be nothing particularly interesting at the treasure other than maybe a similar view.
                Zero clues solved is definitely a possibility. The 200-footer could have been in the right general area for reasons other than having solved any of the clues. Maybe they knew Forrest personally (I think some people have suggested this). Or maybe they picked up on hints in the books that led them to the right area without having solved any of the clues. I don't think the 200-footer was the same as the "possible 4 clue solver", since the 4 clue solver came later.

Comment

Zero clues solved is definitely a possibility. The 200-footer could have been in the right general area for reasons other than having solved any of the clues. Maybe they knew Forrest personally (I think some people have suggested this). Or maybe they picked up on hints in the books that led them to the right area without having solved any of the clues. I don't think the 200-footer was the same as the "possible 4 clue solver", since the 4 clue solver came later.
                  I have always been suspicious of this 200, 500 foot thing.. and thought maybe it was just f stirring-up hope for searchers and perhaps he is telling a little truth but not the whole truth type of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post

I have always been suspicious of this 200, 500 foot thing.. and thought maybe it was just f stirring-up hope for searchers and perhaps he is telling a little truth but not the whole truth type of thing.
                    I was for awhile, thinking maybe he meant vertical feet or something like that. I came to the conclusion someone was 200 feet away though. Considering the # emails he gets its not hard to believe.

Comment

I was for awhile, thinking maybe he meant vertical feet or something like that. I came to the conclusion someone was 200 feet away though. Considering the # emails he gets its not hard to believe.
                      wait, vertical feet, maybe you're onto something ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlfooqeZcdY

Comment

It's a possibility but the suspicion lies in 'My war for me' and how he readily brought up the 500' after the 200' In my war for me at the 200' he turn 250 degrees at nearly 600 miles per hour.. in the original story he says 550knots.. it's amazing he didn't pass out.. and just how tight of a 250 degree turn did he make .. at 200feet it would have been pretty tight I would have to consider... an amazing feat of stamina I would also think...

So considering all of that I leave the remark at suspicious.. lol

Comment

"I have not said that a searcher was closer than 12’ from the treasure. It is not likely that anyone would get that close and not find it."
                          Mr. Fenn's statements always contain a few hidden "outs" ... and he has a way of saying things
                          which lends itself to a searching hearing what he/she wants to hear -- that said, maybe we're reading this one all wrong.

For example, what we WANT TO HEAR is: "It is not likely that anyone would ... not find it."

But look closely at the words and just focus on the first part: "It is not likely that anyone would get that close ... (and not find it)."

It's called a "conditional" statement, and the second clause is utterly reliant upon the first clause.
                          Not unlike a well-executed magic trick, the riddler directs his audience's attention to that which he wants them to see and hear.

A similar example:

It's not likely anyone would fly to Venus on a giant wombat ... and not find it.

Why?

Well, because ... THE FIRST PART!

It's not likely you're going to do (or not do) X on planet Venus
                          IF it's not likely that you're going to ever arrive there in the first place.

Clever, Mr. Fenn. Very clever.

I'm not saying this is his intended meaning, because, well, we just don't know.

But what I am saying is that the structure of his linguistic presentation at least leaves open the possibility ...
                          Last edited by Tyke (MySon); 05-20-2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Tyke: it's the same bit of misdirection going on with Forrest's answer to the prospects of reverse engineering WWWH if you "know" hoB. Since it's impossible to *know* home of Brown (absent solving WWWH), the answer is kind of pointless.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 200 footer was someone Forrest knew (because he has said it) and Forrest said he was surprised the guy "knew him so well.". I think he happened to be sightseeing when at the site. It's possible the guy's solve was in a nearby area though, to explain the "knew me so well" statement.

Comment

Working...
                              X