Searcher vs Hunter vs Chaser vs Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searcher vs Hunter vs Chaser vs Finder

Does anyone else wonder how Forrest defines his participants? I believe that he is very specific and deliberate when referencing treasure hunters. Forrest hasn't responded to many of my emails. and my advice to any new searcher would be to not email him at all, aside from a general introduction. I do believe that you invite noise into your process when you delineate from your work and bring others in, including Forrest. This is just my opinion after three years of study. Something that has piqued my interest is how Forrest uses searcher/hunter/chaser interchangeably, if he does at all.

Does he classify players? What is a searcher vs a hunter vs a chaser? We all know what a finder is as we wait for him/her to join the party.

I asked Forrest a year ago if he would prefer the location be made public. He responded that "that would be up to the finder." I've also asked him in the past a random question where he responded "how are you involved with the treasure chase?" What was I chasing exactly? My point is that I think he has a ranking system. There are searchers, there are chasers, there are hunters and there will be an eventual finder. If I were him, I would have folks classified up by state. Would you pay attention to searchers in three wrong states? Would you instead only read emails and pay attention to those that were in the correct state, or the correct county (even more so)! I was firm in my belief that the chest rests in Wyoming, I guess I'm not so sure anymore.

And where/who do you think you are in this org chart? Today, when the new question came out on Ms. Kile's site Mr. Fenn said to "please hunt safe" after his searcher said "I'm trying to catch up." So the person writing the email feels as if they are chasing/catching up to the rest of us (Lost Chaser). He responds that they are not late to the search and to enjoy the "hunt." So they aren't chasing, but he believes they are hunting.

Is there a difference between a hunter, a chaser, and a searcher. And if so, what is it according to Forrest Fenn?

For the record I would encourage any new searcher to shoot straight out of that cannon and put some spank on it. If you read Mr. Fenn's book and have a creative and well thought out solve then go for it. My best time in this treasure hunt was in the very beginning. Ideas were flowing and fresh eyes provided plenty to ponder. It isn't easy getting old, even in a treasure hunt/chase/search. The best bite is always the first one.

There is an interesting play that Mr. Fenn uses between search, chase and hunt. We all know what a finder is.

Searcher = everyone searching, armchair and BOTG
    Hunter = has a general solve, but not yet a correct solve
    Chaser = experiencing the thrill, right or wrong
    Finder = Finder
    (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
      Does anyone else wonder how Forrest defines his participants? I believe that he is very specific and deliberate when referencing treasure hunters. Forrest hasn't responded to many of my emails. and my advice to any new searcher would be to not email him at all, aside from a general introduction. I do believe that you invite noise into your process when you delineate from your work and bring others in, including Forrest. This is just my opinion after three years of study. Something that has piqued my interest is how Forrest uses searcher/hunter/chaser interchangeably, if he does at all.

Does he classify players? What is a searcher vs a hunter vs a chaser? We all know what a finder is as we wait for him/her to join the party.

I asked Forrest a year ago if he would prefer the location be made public. He responded that "that would be up to the finder." I've also asked him in the past a random question where he responded "how are you involved with the treasure chase?" What was I chasing exactly? My point is that I think he has a ranking system. There are searchers, there are chasers, there are hunters and there will be an eventual finder. If I were him, I would have folks classified up by state. Would you pay attention to searchers in three wrong states? Would you instead only read emails and pay attention to those that were in the correct state, or the correct county (even more so)! I was firm in my belief that the chest rests in Wyoming, I guess I'm not so sure anymore.

And where/who do you think you are in this org chart? Today, when the new question came out on Ms. Kile's site Mr. Fenn said to "please hunt safe" after his searcher said "I'm trying to catch up." So the person writing the email feels as if they are chasing/catching up to the rest of us (Lost Chaser). He responds that they are not late to the search and to enjoy the "hunt." So they aren't chasing, but he believes they are hunting.

Is there a difference between a hunter, a chaser, and a searcher. And if so, what is it according to Forrest Fenn?

For the record I would encourage any new searcher to shoot straight out of that cannon and put some spank on it. If you read Mr. Fenn's book and have a creative and well thought out solve then go for it. My best time in this treasure hunt was in the very beginning. Ideas were flowing and fresh eyes provided plenty to ponder. It isn't easy getting old, even in a treasure hunt/chase/search. The best bite is always the first one.

There is an interesting play that Mr. Fenn uses between search, chase and hunt. We all know what a finder is.

Peace,

Orion, the Hunter

Click image for larger version

Name:	HunterProgression.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	157192

Comment

I've also asked him in the past a random question where he responded "how are you involved with the treasure chase?"
        Here’s my role:
        I’m chasing my tail while hunting the chest and trying to avoid other searchers!
        “My Shadow Ain’t Cast by No Fool.” F

Comment

We won't all generally know what the eventual finder did to lead and find the treasure until the solve is released, thus, don't know yet what to technically call the person till then. These titles connote the process of anything from solving to BOTG. There will likely be a mixture of everything: the mental, the physical, perhaps luck.
          "Chaser." Everyone's a Chaser.
          Questing song:
          The Beatles "I'll Be Back"
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9Ij6VmOD4

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post

Peace,

Orion, the Hunter

Click image for larger version

Name:	HunterProgression.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	157192
            I prefer the title "First Solver." :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

I prefer the title "First Solver." :-)
              In place of Finder?

O.

Comment

Originally posted by ORION View Post
                In place of Finder?
                O.
                Since "First solver" will precede "Finder," I think it's more interesting to speculate about that individual, given that it's premature to talk about a Finder/Retriever. I think retrieval may prove to be just a physical formality proving the solution was correct.

Comment

Oh, one more thing. I don't think there's any such thing as a Hunter in this Chase. You've solved it before you leave home, or you haven't. There is no "hunting" in the field: the Solver will no exactly where to go and what to do when they get there.

Comment

I find it odd that we were all waiting on a lead searcher last year and now we are back to “hey....maybe the new guy will find it.” Gut feeling to who knows what. This hunt could last forever.

Comment

Oh, one more thing. I don't think there's any such thing as a Hunter in this Chase. You've solved it before you leave home, or you haven't. There is no "hunting" in the field: the Solver will no exactly where to go and what to do when they get there.
                      really? i do all my huntin in the field

Comment

I find it odd that we were all waiting on a lead searcher last year and now we are back to “hey....maybe the new guy will find it.” Gut feeling to who knows what. This hunt could last forever.
                        Well, people had "maybe four" clues solved back in 2015, per Forrest. They were the lead searcher as far as Forrest knew if that term means most clues solved. What happened to them? Five years is a long time. It's kinda no wonder Forrest says new ideas are needed.

Comment

I dunno. He said nobody will stumble on it. Nobody is a lot of people, maybe even the poem solver. There may be one more intentional test at the spot and there could be a gap between solver and finder. Even if no intentional test, I think it is very well hidden, and you are going to have to look very carefully, even if the poem is "precise.". How close can he possibly get you with the poem? Is his quote about 12 feet a hint? If so, that's a 24 foot diameter circle you have to search extremely carefully for a spot nobody else would suspect, even people that only solved 8 clues, presumably.
                          Last edited by CRM114; 05-15-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I have always claimed to be the Lead Hunter...... Now..... That person is called a Rooster...
                            Cock-A-Doodle-Do!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

I dunno. He said nobody will stumble on it. Nobody is a lot of people, maybe even the poem solver. There may be one more intentional test at the spot and there could be a gap between solver and finder. Even if no intentional test, I think it is very well hidden, and you are going to have to look very carefully, even if the poem is "precise.". How close can he possibly get you with the poem? Is his quote about 12 feet a hint? If so, that's a 24 foot diameter circle you have to search extremely carefully for a spot nobody else would suspect, even people that only solved 8 clues, presumably.
                              I think this is spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X