Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Seas ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Tyke (MySon) View Post

    have you ever seen the movie two f's by C?
    total To Catch a Thief rip, or wait,
    was the How to Steal a Million?
    I'm so confused. What was your question again?
    I don't know what you're saying.

    Did you just pick a word that sounds like cease? Why not sees, or sease?

    And how does "to" become "two?:

    Comment


    • #17
      is this what you're talking about?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parting_of_the_Waters
      It's near Two Ocean Pass in the Bridger Teton National Forest. GPS coords are 44.0428, -110.1754
      Last edited by Redneck Girl; 08-01-2020, 03:22 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        How about...

        Look quick, lie down, your cue west to see east.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

          As I remember (from my early childhood), according to the story about Moses, he parted one sea.
          Good one ("bleeding").
          Exodus 15:22 Mosheh parted Sea of Suph (Reeds).

          Sorry, it was just a water flat of reeds.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Tyke (MySon) View Post
            The biblical allusions in Mr. Fenn's poem might go over your head if you've not read the bible, but if you have, some might say they are in your face.

            I won't teach a lecture on what most of us already know (just look at the poem for a refresher), but what I have recently considered
            is a continuation of this biblical theme, only with the auditory addition of keeping homonyms in mind --

            If you've been wise (Y's -- a splitting) and found the blaze,
            look quickly down your quest to cease (TWO SEAS)

            (so now I'm asking, what "two seas" ... there are many "seas" -- how do we choose?
            well, like most hints, there's a modifier to follow so we READ ON ...)
            ....
            ...
            So why is it that I must go (to go = to PART)
            And leave my trove for all to seek ...

            What "Sea" is both plural (SEAS) and is biblically known to have been PARTED?

            Answer: The Story of MOSES, parting the ... RED SEA.
            (Found in the book EXODUS -- a story of crossing two hostile roads, and ultimate liberation ... sound familiar?)

            There's not an X on the map, but it's there IN SPIRIT -- Two Seas, Parted, An X in Spirit

            Click image for larger version Name:	Red Sea Parted.PNG Views:	0 Size:	631.6 KB ID:	156395

            Fenn mentions four elements --
            Moses brought the LAW on two SPLIT TABLETS -- given to him by FIRE
            Moses emancipates his people by 'parting' TWO SEAS -- WATER
            next, WIND & EARTH play into this story. (Read the full Wiki)

            and the name MOSES?

            both a HALTING of WATER
            a PARTING of SEAS
            and his name means ... DRAWING WATER
            Click image for larger version Name:	Moses.PNG Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	156396
            Click image for larger version Name:	Red Sea Narrative.PNG Views:	0 Size:	188.7 KB ID:	156397

            is this the KEY in Fenn's poem, or just the universality of the language of METAPHOR bleeding into MYTH?
            either way, equally intriguing.
            The more translations ("layers"?) of this biblical story I see, the more skeptical I get about what really happened. Apparently FF was not the first person to embellish a tale (either all of it or just a piece).
            His use of -- or connections to -- symbolism is pretty impressive, in my opinion. I can understand (I hope) why the evolution of the poem was over a long period of time.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Quest View Post

              How can you take serious translators that can't even get proper names correct. Hebrew name was Mosheh which is 3 letters. No double s in the word.

              https://www.behindthename.com/name/moses
              By being young and trusting/gullible. Fortunately, many folks are able to learn as they grow, and develop healthy skepticism while asking questions and having them answered . . . or not.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Space Hopper View Post
                I remember as a child being on a BBC program called A Voyage Between Two Seas in 1983. Im one of the children running over the bridge at 10.30 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad87X5D5AXU&t=631s .
                Isn't that nass . . . (?)

                Comment


                • #23
                  "Nass" is southern drawl meaning "nice". The phrase "Isn't that nass" is part of a joke about vanity/bragging. You could look it up, perhaps using the phrase "Two southern belles" sitting on a veranda.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Why can't?the two seas simply be the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      How does cease mean seas? Did you just pick a word that sounds like it? Why not sees, or sease?

                      And how does "to" become "two?:

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by CRM114 View Post
                        Why can't?the two seas simply be the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico?
                        Did you see my post above about Parting of the Waters? It's near Two Ocean (Two Seas) Pass in Bridger Teton NF. The water splits into the Atlantic Creek drainage and the Pacific Creek drainage. I think it's conceivable that "parting waters" might mean "halting waters" but I can't get "warm" to fit in. If you follow the Pacific Creek (Pacific means peaceful) it's about 22 miles (NFBTFTW) to the confluence with the Snake River. There's a boat put-in at the confluence.
                        Last edited by Redneck Girl; 08-02-2020, 12:06 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

                          Did you see my post above about Parting of the Waters? It's near Two Ocean (Two Seas) Pass in Bridger Teton NF. The water splits into the Atlantic Creek drainage and the Pacific Creek drainage. I think it's conceivable that "parting waters" might mean "halting waters" but I can't get "warm" to fit in. If you follow the Pacific Creek (Pacific means peaceful) it's about 22 miles (NFBTFTW) to the confluence with the Snake River. There's a boat put-in at the confluence.
                          I do now. It's a very Forresty solution, imo. For what it's worth, my WWWH is the Continental Divide. For that, I assume warm waters are the seas. Some old books refer to seas, especially the Gulf of Mexico as "warm waters." I think pirates used the term. Then you have to use your imagination on a map and see rivers like the Mississippi branching out like a tree and halting at the CD, including Two Oceans Pass. The phrase "ever drawing" can also be taken to mean ever dividing or ever parting. All of this works with Two Oceans Pass as well.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by CRM114 View Post

                            I do now. It's a very Forresty solution, imo. For what it's worth, my WWWH is the Continental Divide. For that, I assume warm waters are the seas. Some old books refer to seas, especially the Gulf of Mexico as "warm waters." I think pirates used the term. Then you have to use your imagination on a map and see rivers like the Mississippi branching out like a tree and halting at the CD, including Two Oceans Pass. The phrase "ever drawing" can also be taken to mean ever dividing or ever parting. All of this works with Two Oceans Pass as well.
                            Very Interesting! I hadn't thought about the Gulf of Mexico being "warm waters".

                            I thought about taking Parting of the Waters as the end point. Often people say they want their ashes to be scattered at the headwaters of a river, and Parting of the Waters is unique in that you have both the Atlantic and Pacific Creeks right there. The problem is that it's 20 miles from the nearest road in Moran WY and is only accessible by horseback or hiking. That's why I thought it might work better as WWWH. Maybe Atlantic Creek is the drainage to follow since it heads to the Gulf of Mexico.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Redneck Girl View Post

                              Very Interesting! I hadn't thought about the Gulf of Mexico being "warm waters".

                              I thought about taking Parting of the Waters as the end point. Often people say they want their ashes to be scattered at the headwaters of a river, and Parting of the Waters is unique in that you have both the Atlantic and Pacific Creeks right there. The problem is that it's 20 miles from the nearest road in Moran WY and is only accessible by horseback or hiking. That's why I thought it might work better as WWWH. Maybe Atlantic Creek is the drainage to follow since it heads to the Gulf of Mexico.
                              woah, for a "Redneck Girl" your waters sure run deep. I like the way you think RG. And Fenn did previously live somewhere in the Emerald Coast ... MeXico Beach, was it?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Tyke (MySon) View Post

                                woah, for a "Redneck Girl" your waters sure run deep. I like the way you think RG. And Fenn did previously live somewhere in the Emerald Coast ... MeXico Beach, was it?
                                Thanks Tyke.
                                Atlantic Creek flows into the Yellowstone River. It's just under 20 miles as the crow flies from Parting of the Waters to Yellowstone Lake. That fits with NFBTFTW, but what is "Put in below the home of Brown"? The CC cabin is right there, but I think that's the one that Cynthia asked about.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X