X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vestalpatience View Post

yeah its not a waste of time.
    its just not economical
    they sell them at home depot... several different applications.

Comment

The messages we’ve received- this is from @masksforheroes- but we have privately received similar - I think everyone needs to very careful right now.
      if our medical community cannot work and all get sick we will be in a bad place.
      im learning everything I can to make diy masks that are going to operate at a 85-90% filtration.
      We are hoping to make a front line mask that’s even better.

we just bought a particulate reader from grainger.
      zoro particle counter 23V750
      IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE who can help us test our materials, please let me know.

Or knows how to use this machine or has a friend who works in a lab or university or chemical company...
      We are just fashion girls, but determined to help.
      i know thousands of crafters sewing as we speak and if I can tell them to add a swiffer or a piece of interfacing and they will make their mask X amount more effective-
      then, hell yes.
      but we need data, I can’t just give people incorrect facts.

Thank you all for you’re suggestions.
      please visit @masksforheroes
      www.masksforheroes.com

Comment

Originally posted by antigroove View Post
        What about cotton treated with hydrophobic spray?
        Really cool.
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmonto...a6135ef02/amp/

Comment

There are thick polishing cloths used in jewelry making... maybe too thick, but like a thick flannel. Here's a link: https://www.firemountaingems.com/res...rts/clothtypes
          Also, what about old fashioned cloth diapers?

Thanks, VP, for your passion and your efforts... may they result in something heroic!

Comment

Check out 3D printing options https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...ng-clinic.html

Comment

yes this is good- Home Depot sells too...
              we worry about the sharp edges tho...not sure we ill have time to hammer and file
              You don't have to worry about any sharp edges that are ENCAPSULATED with tape... like say DUCT TAPE... Just slap a piece of substantial tape over any parts with sharp edges, problem solved.

Comment

Sure would be nice if they gave out badges and or wrist bands for people who have caught and cleared the virus.. If I catch it and and clear it then I am going to volunteer for sure...

Comment

This will give you about 33% protection- let’s hope we don’t get to this point. Clever design tho!
                  33% is better than nothing. It seems the blue shop towels would have better filtration

Comment

My wife is making masks with 4 layers of cotton fabric. Apparently 4 is the minimum number of layers our local hospital will take.
                    "I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately." ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Aluminum nose straps can be punched from aluminum sheet stock with an oblong punch.

https://www.csosborne.com/no.151.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post
                        Aluminum nose straps can be punched from aluminum sheet stock with an oblong punch.

https://www.csosborne.com/no.151.htm
                        thats great thank you-

Comment

Originally posted by antigroove View Post
                          My wife is making masks with 4 layers of cotton fabric. Apparently 4 is the minimum number of layers our local hospital will take.
                          tell her to add interfacing- it doesn't matter how many layers it barely increases the efficiency of filtration...but Im so happy she is working to help.
                          interfacing is a form of a Nonwoven fabric that works better at filtration.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post

33% is better than nothing. It seems the blue shop towels would have better filtration
                            trying to test today- Ill let you know

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerMike View Post

You don't have to worry about any sharp edges that are ENCAPSULATED with tape... like say DUCT TAPE... Just slap a piece of substantial tape over any parts with sharp edges, problem solved.
                              We are trying this- because we can also stitch thru the tape to secure it..

Comment

Saw this and thought of this thread:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/us/co...rnd/index.html
                                All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
                                -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X