2700 Seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2700 Seconds

Been some discussing on how far did Forrest walk to hide his treasure. I believe in Scrapbook 249 he is saying 45 minutes. I estimate approximately 1680 feet. Of course you would have to double that for a round trip, then double it again for two trips.

Originally posted by ultrasharp sunshine View Post
    Been some discussing on how far did Forrest walk to hide his treasure. I believe in Scrapbook 249 he is saying 45 minutes. I estimate approximately 1680 feet. Of course you would have to double that for a round trip, then double it again for two trips.
    Coincidentally, 5,280 feet (a mile) divided by 1,680 feet is about the same value of pi (3.14).
    In my opinion.

Comment

Coincidentally I came up with 1680 feet by studying the watch that Forrest threw as far as he could and I determined that it was a 1968 Rolex Submariner. These things just come to me from time to time. Another piece of the pie.

Comment

https://shop.analogshift.com/product...ub-folded-link

Comment

I would bet on anything between 1000 and 1200 feet at most, from the car to the hideout. IMO ...

Comment

You found a short cut?

Comment

The weather matters as with all walks or runs. 61 degrees seems HOT for Santa Fe. Even if acclimated, at between 5k and 10.2k, 45 minutes is a decent walk. Especially when hot. A more protracted trip could be tougher, carrying weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Covert One View Post
                Coincidentally, 5,280 feet (a mile) divided by 1,680 feet is about the same value of pi (3.14).
                . . . seems irrational . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Lolami

through the mountain and over the wood
                  a tunnel, how original.

Comment

Less than a few miles for both trips...total.
                    "It is fun to arrange words in such a way that you have to smile at the end of a sentence." - Forrest Fenn

Comment

Starting point to the erea to be
                      I would guess about the the same as 8.25. Inches. The distance between Forrest's thumb & pinky. if you had the right sized scaled map. My top 4 starting points would be ;
                      Sante Fe- of course.
                      West Yellowstone
                      Cody
                      Denver.
                      Somehow the 45 parallel through the great divide is in the middle. He told the school children that in a way. You can't start there.
                      just a theory....

Comment

I don't get out of the car for less than a 1/2 mile hike, that's 2,640 feet one-way.

If the chest is hidden any closer to the car than that I don't want it. I'm into searching adventurous solves and there is nothing adventurous about being so close to the road that you can hear the nature for all the speeding traffic. And you can't breathe the mountain air for all of the exhaust fumes and brake dust poisoning the air.

Fenn might has well hidden it a roadside booth so you could just pick it up at a drive-through window, that way you wouldn't have to get out of your airconditioned car and get your loafers dirty.

But whatever make you happy is what you should go with because if you ain't havin fun with the Chase, you are doing it wrong.

Comment

Assuming it took 45 minutes seems dangerous. It could be 45 each way, 45 total, or 45 could have nothing to do with time. He has said, he walked less than a few miles when hiding the treasure, but he never stated if that was one way or round trip, or total combined distance. Depending on the terrain, you could walk about 1.5-2 miles in 40-45 mins out in the Rockies with ease.

I do not believe the chest is hidden within 1000 feet of a parking spot, because that's only about 333 steps (for someone who walks about 3 feet per stride). I really don't think he would have made two tips if he only had to take about 333 steps to the hiding spot... Why risk people seeing you make two trips if one would suffice? That's only about 2 city blocks worth of walking tops. The only way it would be difficult to walk such a short distance is if you had to climb up or down something steep and he's ruled that out...

When looking at all f's quotes, logic tells me that the chest is hidden as close a 3/4 of a mile from the parking spot and as far as a 3 or so miles.

Comment

More like 30 minutes I think. And who takes three feet strides? Even the most confident would look silly stretching that far. Holy smokes you are either tall or you'll be easily knocked off your base in a tussle.

Comment

This guy does. Ha, j/k. Although I have seen a suspect set of tracks on my BOTG. I really couldn’t explain them.

Comment

Working...
                              X