No announcement yet.

*RESULTS* The Chase Survey #4 - Clues and Hints Outside the Poem in Other Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *RESULTS* The Chase Survey #4 - Clues and Hints Outside the Poem in Other Books

Sorry for the delay...real life and COVID-19 had me busy with other things.

The results for this survey are very interesting to me, I guess not as many people as I thought think there are other hints or clues in any other book outside TTOTC and TFTW. Also, some people didn't even know of one book that I thought would be pretty popular.

Enjoy: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-7BKLCSCM7/

The next survey will be about BOTG, will try to get that out later today.

Hello Outkast Searcher,

Unfortunately, your "The Dunning Kruger Effect In The Chase" thread was closed because of some of the commenters.

Not your fault and not my fault, but that's just how the moderation works here, it is often not limited to just the few bad apples or bad posts in a thread, but the OP tends to go down with the ship as well, often just an innocent victim of circumstances beyond their control.

With that said, I hope you will excuse my attempted hijacking of this thread to get a few licks in on you that I was unable to throw in that thread before it was administratively closed...

In that other thread you posted (emphasis added):
    Forrest Fenn is the biggest example of the Dunning Kruger Effect in The Chase. Forrest Fenn is not an educated nor intelligent man. This is by his own admission; he repeatedly says he barely got through school and knew he couldn't make it in college.
    I was okay enough with this part to let it slide if that "nor intelligent man" didn't stab me in my good eye.

I'd bet a paycheck that Forrest Fenn would have been diagnosed as "Hyperactive" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" and maybe even "Mildly Dyslexic" if those tests had been available back when he was in school.

I'd bet a second paycheck that it was more a case of Fenn being bored of school because he wasn't being challenged, that he probably belonged in a "gifted" program. And because of that he was lazy, didn't pay attention, didn't do homework, and basically just did the bare minimum to coast through school with the aid of no one wanting to fail the principle's son.

But what about Medical PhD'ed Doctors and Surgeons? They are usually fairly intelligent people, aren't they?

I mean surely those PhD Medical Doctors are a whole lot more intelligent than 'ole Forrest Fenn, wouldn't everyone agree?

For really smart people, a large percentage of PhD Medical Doctors and Surgeons have for decades, and continue to this day, to be killed in personal owned small general aviation airplane crashes. The Beechcraft Bonanza's nickname is, "The Doctor Killer" because so many doctors have been killed crashing them.

For a guy who isn't very intelligent, at least according to you, Outcast Searcher, Fenn flew circles around most of those doctors, and the ones killed in the planes they crashed he probably wagged his wings a couple of times as he flew over their crash sites as some kind of salute to their vastly "superior intelligence."

Forrest has gone down many times in different aircraft types he flew. A couple of times he was shot down and at least twice he went down because of engine failure. And he didn't die even once in all of those forced landings.

So much for all those PhD degreed doctors who killed themselves thinking they were intelligent enough to be capable pilots when in reality their arrogance exceeded their intelligence, a condition that often afflicts really smart people. Sometimes fatally. No matter how "intelligent" one is, there is no such thing as a permanent exemption from being a "dumbass" on occasion.

And I question anyone's "intelligence" who does not recognize that Forrest Fenn is, "Dumb Like A Fox." That is to say, he plays like he is less intelligent or that you are more intelligent than he is. He deliberately wants you to size him up this way and if you fall for this trick, it's like sparring with a partner who pretends to not be pulling their punches when really they are. So when you piss them off and they respond with full force, you won't know what just hit you because you didn't expect it or see it coming.

As far as your Validation angle?

Yeah, yeah, we all want validation, just like we all want to love and be loved. I want it, they want it, you want it, and Fenn wants it too.

Validation is part of every normal person's set of motivations. Am I missing something about the point you were trying to make?

Comment

I found a clue on a box of Charmin once

Comment

Originally posted by ultrasharp sunshine View Post
        I found a clue on a box of Charmin once
        I'm scalping, er, I mean selling boxes of Charmin for $100 each, your choice of Ultra Soft or Ultra Strong.

How many clues do you want?

Comment

[QUOTE=LurkerMike;n148351]

I'm scalping, er, I mean selling boxes of Charmin for $100 each, your choice of Ultra Soft or Ultra Strong.

How many clues do you want? [/QUOi TE]
          I already gots all I need.

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerMike View Post
            Hello Outkast Searcher,

Unfortunately, your "The Dunning Kruger Effect In The Chase" thread was closed because of some of the commenters.

Not your fault and not my fault, but that's just how the moderation works here, it is often not limited to just the few bad apples or bad posts in a thread, but the OP tends to go down with the ship as well, often just an innocent victim of circumstances beyond their control.

With that said, I hope you will excuse my attempted hijacking of this thread to get a few licks in on you that I was unable to throw in that thread before it was administratively closed...

I was okay enough with this part to let it slide if that "nor intelligent man" didn't stab me in my good eye.

I'd bet a paycheck that Forrest Fenn would have been diagnosed as "Hyperactive" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" and maybe even "Mildly Dyslexic" if those tests had been available back when he was in school.

I'd bet a second paycheck that it was more a case of Fenn being bored of school because he wasn't being challenged, that he probably belonged in a "gifted" program. And because of that he was lazy, didn't pay attention, didn't do homework, and basically just did the bare minimum to coast through school with the aid of no one wanting to fail the principle's son.

But what about Medical PhD'ed Doctors and Surgeons? They are usually fairly intelligent people, aren't they?

I mean surely those PhD Medical Doctors are a whole lot more intelligent than 'ole Forrest Fenn, wouldn't everyone agree?

For really smart people, a large percentage of PhD Medical Doctors and Surgeons have for decades, and continue to this day, to be killed in personal owned small general aviation airplane crashes. The Beechcraft Bonanza's nickname is, "The Doctor Killer" because so many doctors have been killed crashing them.

For a guy who isn't very intelligent, at least according to you, Outcast Searcher, Fenn flew circles around most of those doctors, and the ones killed in the planes they crashed he probably wagged his wings a couple of times as he flew over their crash sites as some kind of salute to their vastly "superior intelligence."

Forrest has gone down many times in different aircraft types he flew. A couple of times he was shot down and at least twice he went down because of engine failure. And he didn't die even once in all of those forced landings.

So much for all those PhD degreed doctors who killed themselves thinking they were intelligent enough to be capable pilots when in reality their arrogance exceeded their intelligence, a condition that often afflicts really smart people. Sometimes fatally. No matter how "intelligent" one is, there is no such thing as a permanent exemption from being a "dumbass" on occasion.

And I question anyone's "intelligence" who does not recognize that Forrest Fenn is, "Dumb Like A Fox." That is to say, he plays like he is less intelligent or that you are more intelligent than he is. He deliberately wants you to size him up this way and if you fall for this trick, it's like sparring with a partner who pretends to not be pulling their punches when really they are. So when you piss them off and they respond with full force, you won't know what just hit you because you didn't expect it or see it coming.

Yeah, yeah, we all want validation, just like we all want to love and be loved. I want it, they want it, you want it, and Fenn wants it too.

Validation is part of every normal person's set of motivations. Am I missing something about the point you were trying to make?
            Hey Mike, youll like this one.
            https://youtu.be/MfJtYxd0Me4
            Last edited by khan; 03-20-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by khan View Post

Hey Mike, youll like this one.
              https://youtu.be/MfJtYxd0Me4
              WOW! THANKS FOR THAT LINK! That is an amazing video!

Comment

Hello Outkast Searcher,

Forrest knows a charade when he sees one.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...shment-charade

Comment

I've known three doctors that were killed in light plane crashes. Two were very smart. The third wasn't as smart because he trusted the skill and knowledge of one of the first two and accepted a ride and went down with him. The other one of the smart two, took out his instructor while training to get his twin-engine certification. Doctors die in plane crashes for two reasons. #1 They work too much and thus don't have the time to maintain their flying skills and #2 They all have a self-assured attitude and because of which, they rarely ask for advice or help even when they themselves are unsure.

I know many doctors and they are very smart. Mr. Fenn though is I believe the smartest and absolutely the cleverest person I have ever met. When in his presence I am constantly on my guard protecting my intellect and pride from his armor-piercing knowledge and wit. His character is quite unusual though. Most people do not actually appreciate his intellect which is conveniently disguised by his friendy down to earth demenor. The classic notion in society is thought that the more of a brainiac one is, the more nerdy, socially awkward and scientific speaking one becomes. It is my belief, that if people actually knew how intelligent he was.....they would look past the obvious and the poem would already have been deciphered.

Comment

Originally posted by willynilly

I disagree with you here, it’s not a charade is a business like any other. Higher education is not useless or irrelevant, some careers require it (most don’t). Some people love to learn new information and adore the classroom setting, think of it like a hobby. To each their own, I respect any business as long as they are not hurting anyone or anything.
                    I did not write the article, so maybe you are wrong and we agree more than you understand.
                    My input was that forrest knows a charade when he sees one.
                    Cant you and the article writer both be kinda right ?
                    You know, in a sorta sense. Not an anal tense. But a banal hence.

Comment

Ok LurkerMike, now that I have some time and the other results thread is up...let me address this.

That is just a complete guess on your part. Someone else could just guess that he wasn't good at school because he isn't very smart.

Some are, some aren't. No matter what group you throw at me, this is going to be my answer.

Flying a plane is a skill, not a measure of intelligence. Like any other skill, there is some innate ability and the rest is practice, practice, practice.

What you are describing is the Dunning Kruger Effect.

Kind of like an uneducated art dealer that used morally grey business practices to build his business thinking that means he has the knowledge to create a poem that contains a riddle that leads to a treasure chest???

Or kind of like people who think that since someone can fly a plane that means he has the ability to create a poem that contains a riddle that will lead to a treasure chest???

I questions anyone who decides to worship Forrest Fenn

Shouldn't a married man look for validation from his wife and kids instead of any female treasure hunter that emails him???

Comment

I would hope the validation goes both ways in Forrest's marriage and family life. I think if there were no validation (in both directions) that Peggy would have not remained married to Forrest and vice versa. Marriage is hard and takes a lot of work from both parties. Their marriage seems to have stood the test of thyme!
                        Those pointing fingers tend to forget about the other three fingers pointing back at them.
                        I believe the finder would want to meet Peggy just as much as they would want to meet Forrest. It takes a strong woman to stand with her man through thick and thin. I feel Peggy would have just as much valuable advice as Forrest has to offer to the finder.

Comment

Originally posted by Outkast Searcher View Post
                          Ok LurkerMike, now that I have some time and the other results thread is up...let me address this.

Take it easy on me, I’m not as smart as you.

That is just a complete guess on your part. Someone else could just guess that he wasn't good at school because he isn't very smart.
                          True that you have your guesses and I have mine.

But my guesses are based on personal experience, perhaps yours are too?
                          You see I was that "dumb" kid in school, and if you accuse me of projecting the fact I could have made straight A’s if I wanted to, but I was lazy, uninspired, bored and otherwise not motivated to want to, well then Outkast Searcher, I would have to concede that you are correct in that regard. But that doesn’t prove anything other than Forrest is probably worth more than you and I put together will ever be worth. Not bad for a retarded dumb guy that can’t spell his own name, as you are implying.

Some are, some aren't. No matter what group you throw at me, this is going to be my answer.
                          Please clarify exactly what you mean. Are you saying:
                          1. Some PhD'ed Doctors and Surgeons are fairly intelligent and some aren’t?
                          2. Some PhD Medical Doctors are a whole lot more intelligent than 'ole Forrest Fenn and some aren’t?
                          3. Both/All of the above?
                          Flying a plane is a skill, not a measure of intelligence. Like any other skill, there is some innate ability and the rest is practice, practice, practice.
                          You aren’t a pilot then? Or a military veteran? Or over the age of 40?

What you are describing is the Dunning Kruger Effect.
                          Kind of like an uneducated art dealer that used morally grey business practices to build his business thinking that means he has the knowledge to create a poem that contains a riddle that leads to a treasure chest???
                          Or kind of like people who think that since someone can fly a plane that means he has the ability to create a poem that contains a riddle that will lead to a treasure chest???

Stop playing games my friend, this is not a debate about Forrest Fenn being uneducated, this is about YOU saying Forrest Fenn is not INTELLIGENT. There is a big difference in the definition of those two terms and it does require a minimum level of intelligence to know the difference.
                          The fact you would attempt such a cheap bait and switch use of these terms on me to spin this discussion into strawman arguments is exactly the same “used morally grey business practices” that I am now accusing you of having and projecting onto Forrest Fenn.

I questions anyone who decides to worship Forrest Fenn

"Worship" is a word that comes with a lot of baggage. Can we agree to substitute the word “Idolize” and I will admit that I idolize Forrest Fenn. You are more than welcome to “questions” me about idolizing Fenn all you would like because he is one of my heroes. The epitome of what the American Dream is all about if the socialists/communists don’t transform it into another nightmare like Venezuela, Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea, China, or any other third world sh!t hole.

Shouldn't a married man look for validation from his wife and kids instead of any female treasure hunter that emails him???

I think you and several of the nutjobs at CC are projecting your own deviant desires onto Fenn with those kinds of wild accusations.
                          Let me help you sick puppies by donning my Captain Obvious cape for a moment…
                          Correct me if I am wrong, but the only regret I know of that Forrest has talked about was his regret that he was never the good brother to his late sister June that he wishes he had been. If he has other regrets, they are few, and probably much less significant than this one regret in emotional and psychological terms.

I’ll wager that every FennBunny you can name reminds Forrest in some way of his sister rather than a stripper. And no, he isn’t trying to bed and bang any of them, rather he seeks to have that kind of platonic fraternal friendship with them that he never had with his own sister.
                          As far as Forrest giving any of them extra clues or hints, if he won’t give his own blood kin any, don’t think for a minute that he would ever give a “surrogate sister” anything useful.
                          But you dirty-minded folks just keep on thinking your dirty thoughts because that says more about each of you that it does about Forrest Fenn.

My agenda with the Chase is to have fun participating in the most epic adventure of my life and to try to share some of that joy with others and try to help other searchers as much as I can, without giving any of my own solves away of course.

So what exactly is your agenda Outkast Searcher?
                          Last edited by LurkerMike; 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

All you need is the poem and a good map...FF

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                              X