Wheels within wheels, Clues within clues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larsonist View Post
    Has anyone here on THOR actually purchased / downloaded a topographic map to aid them in the search?
    To me, the very act of procuring a topo map elevates a searcher from newbie status to serious searcher.
    Even google maps are not nearly as useful as topos.
    No, but I used an 8.5x11 printer to print out ridiculous segments of maps from GE which I then tried to overlay and tape together to get a bigger map. I just wanted to be able to take topo measurements of things too far to do digitally, but it wasn’t in my stars. Figured if I didn’t have the means to look at a bigger map, well, then, my opinion or insight wasn’t required. Or requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
      No, but I used an 8.5x11 printer to print out ridiculous segments of maps from GE which I then tried to overlay and tape together to get a bigger map. I just wanted to be able to take topo measurements of things too far to do digitally, but it wasn’t in my stars. Figured if I didn’t have the means to look at a bigger map, well, then, my opinion or insight wasn’t required. Or requested.
      There are US Government sites that offer free downloads of topo maps.
      I recommend you do this. Even just playing around with them can stimulate a brainstorm or two.

Comment

Originally posted by larsonist View Post

There are US Government sites that offer free downloads of topo maps.
        I recommend you do this. Even just playing around with them can stimulate a brainstorm or two.
        Yeah, don’t do what I did. I’d recommend going somewhere that can print large scale maps on one piece of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Livingstone View Post
          Yeah, don’t do what I did. I’d recommend going somewhere that can print large scale maps on one piece of paper.
          I've never printed my topo maps.
          The ones I found online were adjustable and could show more or less territory.
          This was really all I needed.
          Once I had the clues mapped in my head I could use standard road maps to travel.

Comment

Fun Chase Fact:

"Topography" is pronounced: 'Tuh-pah' ...

but the truncated version "Topo" is pronounced: 'Toe-Poe'

----

{{{{{ tuh-pah, toe-poe, top-oh \ tuh-pah, toe-poe, top-oh / tuh-pah, toe-poe, top-oh }}}}}
            *********************pretty sure if you chant this fast you'll begin to find an entrancing rhythm which could lead to all sorts of things ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6L5Bcieas

I think for this reason, some folks call it a: "Toe-Pah-Grah-Fee" Map.

I've also heard the shortened version spoken: 'Top-Oh' ...

----

Does anyone else's brain ache after pondering all this?

(*It appears we have to learn to ride out bicycle backwards to even begin
            looking at Fenn's designated search area, much less applying the poem to it.)

I've seen this sort of coon-trap before, where things only work going in one direction; there must be a name for such snares, linguistic or otherwise.
            Last edited by Pastor Ebenezer Fuzz; 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastor Ebenezer Fuzz View Post
              Fun Chase Fact:
              "Topography" is pronounced: 'Tuh-pah' ...
              but the truncated version "Topo" is pronounced: 'Toe-Poe'
              I think for this reason, some folks call it a ...
              "Toe-Pah-Grah-Fee" Map.
              I've seen this sort of coon-trap before, where things only work going in one direction; there must be a name for such snares, linguistic or otherwise.
              Don't forget all those topographic maps, Father Fuzz.

Comment

Nah y'all got it all wrong.

Top-o-grap-hi-c
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200211-221304_Google.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	140777
                Duh

Name:	Screenshot_20200211-221023_Google.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	140778

Name:	Screenshot_20200211-220934_Google.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	140776

Suddenly, I'm thirsty.
                Miles up in the air he flew, He just murmured, Toodle-oo!

Comment

One man asked if he should buy a topographical map and I told him he'd be better served reading the book again.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/2-mil...reasu_b_932299
                  Last edited by Presque vu; 02-11-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Presque vu View Post
                    One man asked if he should buy a topographical map and I told him he'd be better served reading the book again.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/2-mil...reasu_b_932299
                    Bingo. There isn't one special, magical map. Many are perfectly adequate for the task. (Though the one at the back of TFTW is not one of them.)

Comment

*Disclaimer alert! ***{everything following is just my opinion and can’t be proven because I don’t have a bronze chest in my possession}
                      Clues within clues... absolutely 100%. The best trick Forrest has pulled is mastering the double entendres in the poem . He found a way for the clues to be straightforward , albeit vague , but at the same time-the dual meaning of certain words lead a searcher to the correct spot if solved correctly. When you reach a point in the search when you don’t know which direction to go or what landmark you should be looking for, try saying whatever line in the poem you are stuck at out loud. The poem is a map, but instead of topography, the words paint a picture of what you should be seeing IF you are in the correct location. It is brilliantly simple and incredibly complex at the same time.

Comment

Whomever solves the Chase beats aritificial intelligence experiments, MIT students and various high-functioners.

Comment

Name:	ForutuneWheel.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	140861

Comment

Originally posted by wwwamericana View Post

Name:	ForutuneWheel.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	140861
                            Fortune is ephemeral...like life.

Comment

Originally posted by atticusfinch315 View Post

Fortune is ephemeral...like life.
                              So true.
                              Ever wonder how one really achieves immortality???

Comment

THE MAP does indeed exist. Or should I say many versions of THE MAP exist. Several companies and the US Govt sell them on the web.
                                THE MAP existed long before FF contracted cancer, survived it, and started planning his treasure hunt.
                                I'm sure thousands of people own a copy of it, largely for reasons other than chasing treasure. Hunting for example---animals and artifacts.
                                So the chase was hatched and F took out his chest of maps. He chose a safe location, then set about giving Alice in Wonderland names to the features he visited in years past.
                                I've only had the one solution. The blaze was pretty stubborn but I hope to get to it this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X