Forrest Fenn’s thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1keyword View Post

cause there's a map hidden in the poem that fits a location... work's centered or justified left.. (best is the later) both lead you to the same destination in the last stanza. and it's a hike impossible for an 80 yr old man if you take it head on but easy (er) if you follow the path laid out because it follows an old trail (a branch off of the old bannock Indian trail). about a mile up and back so two miles total (a little less)
    So there is a "shortcut" ?
    Maybe not as quick but easier.
    I go for easy - simpler that way.

Comment

#ThinKing
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Thin King.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	138762

Comment

Originally posted by Lolami
        "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f"
        I agree that there are no short cuts to solving the poem. Everything would need to be done in order, but I bet one could just drive near the 'end' location and a short hike would all be needed. A hike that's less than a mile would give you time to eat that sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Moody Chameleon View Post

I agree that there are no short cuts to solving the poem. Everything would need to be done in order, but I bet one could just drive near the 'end' location and a short hike would all be needed. A hike that's less than a mile would give you time to eat that sandwich.
          Which perhaps brings up an interesting point. Certainly a short hike would give a hiker/searcher plenty of time to do other things such as eat a sandwich or snack. However, on these sorts of hikes I may or may not bring a snack, but on a longer hike, say a more than a mile, I am inclined to be a little more prepared with water, a sandwich, and a flashlight. I think most people think along these lines. Was Forrest thinking along these lines when he said to bring a flashlight and a sandwich. One to two miles would be that medium preparation level. If a person goes beyond two miles they will want to bring more things to be prepared with; flashlight, food, something one could start a fire with, and extra clothing. Sometimes our offhanded comments say more than we intend.
          Post-it note

Comment

Originally posted by JHSharp View Post
            I often wonder about a couple of things. Obviously FF’s life is quite different than most of ours.

but, do you think he wonders about the finder, and who they might be? Whether they are like him? Or as he expects? Or not as he expects?

Do you think he is genuinely interested in folks who might be close and whether their next trip is successful, or makes progress? Or do you think he is agnostic toward it and just waits patiently for notification?
            I bet he does...I know I would. I often wonder if he’s left notes in his drawer to some searchers who he wished he could have spoken too but never did. I’m sure many people in the search have meant something to him. Think of all the people he’s gotten to know through the chase that have helped him and they didn’t even know it.

There are probably quite a few he’d like to forget as well.

This summer will be so interesting. If I find the chest I’m throwing a big as hell party for searchers only. Everyone who wears a fedora gets free beer. Put some faces to all your weird avatars and aliases followed by getting you all properly pickled.
            Last edited by Copper; 01-30-2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post

I bet he does...I know I would. I often wonder if he’s left notes in his drawer to some searchers who he wished he could have spoken too but never did. I’m sure many people in the search have meant something to him. Think of all the people he’s gotten to know through the chase that have helped him and they didn’t even know it.

This summer will be so interesting. If I find the chest I’m throwing a big as hell party for searchers only. Everyone who wears a fedora gets free beer. Put some faces to all your weird avatars and aliases followed by getting you all properly pickled.
              Your comment reminds me of Fennboree. That's kind of like a party for searchers only! I wonder if this year's get together will be different. Could it be the last?? Will it keep going on status post chest find?

Relating to the thread...I wonder what Forrest thinks of this f'boree? I bet he liked the attention of it early on, but does he feel the same way now?

Comment

Originally posted by Moody Chameleon View Post

Your comment reminds me of Fennboree. That's kind of like a party for searchers only! I wonder if this year's get together will be different. Could it be the last?? Will it keep going on status post chest find?

Relating to the thread...I wonder what Forrest thinks of this f'boree? I bet he liked the attention of it early on, but does he feel the same way now?
                My guess is that it's becoming more and more of a chore for him to attend (but it wouldn't be practical to have it much closer to where he lives). I don't blame him for being tired. I'm tired myself.

Comment

It is absolutely preposterous the you feel you have insight to ff's thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post

Brilliant idea! It would be cool if everyone made a custom t shirt for themself with their alias(es) and a poem based on their own chase. Have a great Friday everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lolami
                      "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f"
                      who said anything about a short cut.. i said a path laid out by the poem.. if its a path, a route etc then how n the #$%k is that shortcut?

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster View Post
                        It is absolutely preposterous the you feel you have insight to ff's thinking!
                        Trying to figure out how he thinks is part of the game. It is also human nature.

Comment

If the poem (and Forrest, and the map) had a year in mind. Believe it might be 1919. Finding some parallels.. and I'd like to point out that yesterday was the 101st birthday of this slugger ~

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-234235_Chrome.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	139064
                          That was a very busy year-

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-234438_Chrome.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	139065

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-233941_Chrome.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	139066
                          warm waters started to halt that year...

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-233732_Chrome.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	139067

All kinds of Americana in there, huh what did I miss?
                          Maybe I'm on the right trail... ? time might tell i suppose.

Name:	Screenshot_20200131-235430_Chrome.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	139063
                          Miles up in the air he flew, He just murmured, Toodle-oo!
                          Righty-O!

Comment

"Memory is the treasure house of the mind wherein the monuments thereof are kept and preserved."

Click image for larger version  Name:	mountains (640x479).jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	139076
                            The mountains are calling and I must go.......

Comment

Just some more musings of that year-
                              Notable births-

Passed by Congress June 4, 1919, and ratified on August 18, 1920, the 19th amendment granted women the right to vote. The 19th amendment guarantees all American women the right to vote. Achieving this milestone required a lengthy and difficult struggle; victory took decades of agitation and protest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200131-234901_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	507.6 KB ID:	139085
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200131-234808_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	529.5 KB ID:	139086
                              Nice Teef!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200131-235104_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	530.9 KB ID:	139087
                              ^King of the precipice

Believe my favorite cat was born too..

And deaths that year..
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200131-235227_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	514.4 KB ID:	139088
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200131-235334_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	579.6 KB ID:	139089
                              ... and Colonel Roosevelt.

Well let's try and keep it on the sunny side.
                              Hope y'all have a good day..

t
                              Miles up in the air he flew, He just murmured, Toodle-oo!
                              Righty-O!

Comment

"There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture,
                                there are no short cuts . f"

I was reading the dictionary when I realized it is not a poem about everything

Comment

Working...
                                X