Get The H*ll Out of There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get The H*ll Out of There

This may be the most intriguing line I've heard Mr. Fenn utter yet.

We know he designed his Chase to last at least 900 years,
    so we know the riddle is a veritable 'vault' which we are invited
    to try and crack.

Between the "gut feeling" comment last summer, the flood of 2019 Scrapbooks,
    and the general buzz online, almost everyone can feel that SOME SEARCHER
    'got close.' And maybe even stood with a foot on top of TC, as one SB seemed
    to indicate.

So What If the Lead Searcher has devised how to ACCESS Indulgence,
    but is now left calculating how to exit Fenn's labrynth.

No searcher who "hasn't" solved the poem would ever think to work on
    an "exit strategy," but I believe a racoon-trap-like maze just may be the
    surprise at the end of Fenn's riddle/rainbow --

Accessing the treasure is one thing.

Leaving with it, another entirely.

After all, WHY ...

- the SB with the "broken rear view mirror?" (because you can't get out the same way you entered?)
    - the SB featuring Chaos with a foot on top of a treasure?
    (there are probably at least a dozen more)

So with this in mind, perhaps thinking about a scenario that is "difficult to exit"
    can help those rest of us who haven't solved the 9 clues in the poem "think tank"
    and reverse engineer a solve that fits.

Start with a tight spot from which to withdraw, and work backwards from there.

As it never hurts to learn from the very best -- those who have gone before and actually
    succeeded, here's a pretty interesting history of this world's most savvy escape artists ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9y...Y#action=share
    Last edited by Bill F.; 01-27-2020, 10:06 PM.

In light of the video ...

Get the "hel(i)" out of there? (bad timing, I know)

Image on Indulgence of LADDER = dangling ROPE LADDER?
    (which make sense why some "Indiana Jones type" would solve it?!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Indi Rope Ladder.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	138270

Comment

Excellent topic to think about.
      Back in the day when I was young, my teachers always stressed the importance of paying to attention to where the exits were. Just in case of a fire.
      Nowdays, I suppose we should still check for the exits. Just in case of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by khan
        That doesn't look dangerous. It being in a pit answers a ton of questions. I think getting eaten by a griz or Indiana Jones dying is a great way to go. Like a baby griz looks all cute and your like aww how cute, and then mama griz shows cubby how good you taste.
        "My father warned warned that grizzlies ranged in the area where I was going so I planned on carrying a dead fish. If I met a bear I'd throw a fish at him and run downhill. A grizzly's front legs are shorter than it's hind legs so I would have the advantage if it came to a race. Besides, my incentive would be greater than his."
        https://www.tarryscant.com/search.php

I guess the advice would be to carry a dead fish with you, but first somehow get the hel(i) out of that pit you are in first.

Comment

Originally posted by Moody Chameleon View Post

"My father warned warned that grizzlies ranged in the area where I was going so I planned on carrying a dead fish. If I met a bear I'd throw a fish at him and run downhill. A grizzly's front legs are shorter than it's hind legs so I would have the advantage if it came to a race. Besides, my incentive would be greater than his."
          https://www.tarryscant.com/search.php

I guess the advice would be to carry a dead fish with you, but first somehow get the hel(i) out of that pit you are in first.
          what if someone poor intellectually disadvantaged soul read this and ACTUALLY climbed in a BEAR PIT to search for Fenn's treasure?!
          i can't imagine there exists a person this foolhardy and brazen in the lower 48, but you never know.
          just in the off chance, i'll proclaim that I think this is NOT THE CASE, and a BEAR PIT is certainly NOT where Mr. Fenn's treasure lies.

side note -- upon reading the "dead fish' / 'outrun' quote which you reference above, my cousin, who smokes a good bit of reefer and trends toward paranoid thinking,
          called to inform me that this man who claims to have hidden the treasure is either insane or an idiot, and that either way there was no treasure chest, of this much he was certain.
          some folks just don't know how to deduce Mr. Fenn's suttle humor, which only makes it all the richer.

Comment

"My Thrill of the Chase book is enough to lead an average person to the treasure."

You do realize, if the above quote by Mr. Fenn is true, this means we (as in ALL of us) are what the man himself would consider "below average."

Further, if a famed Lead Searcher has indeed solved the poem but still can't retrieve the treasure chest as many seem to speculate,
            this would mean that Fenn enjoyed a private chuckle at the hidden irony when he made this statement ... Yeah, it will lead them "to"
            the treasure. And from there, that Average Joe's on his own.

Comment

The legend of the Lead Searcher just won’t go away..
              Because I think deep down , we all know someone has been close.
              or... have they?
              PS - winters in the Rockies are hard on elk, foxes, rabbits and especially treasure hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Bill F. View Post

what if someone poor intellectually disadvantaged soul read this and ACTUALLY climbed in a BEAR PIT to search for Fenn's treasure?!
                i can't imagine there exists a person this foolhardy and brazen in the lower 48, but you never know.
                just in the off chance, i'll proclaim that I think this is NOT THE CASE, and a BEAR PIT is certainly NOT where Mr. Fenn's treasure lies.

side note -- upon reading the "dead fish' / 'outrun' quote which you reference above, my cousin, who smokes a good bit of reefer and trends toward paranoid thinking,
                called to inform me that this man who claims to have hidden the treasure is either insane or an idiot, and that either way there was no treasure chest, of this much he was certain.
                some folks just don't know how to deduce Mr. Fenn's suttle humor, which only makes it all the richer.
                You are correct Bill. My statement may lead some intellectually disadvantaged soul into a bear pit, but even if I put a footnote in saying "DO NOT hike into any REAL bear, snake, alligator or arm pit!!!!", my message may not reach the target population. I appreciate your concern for safety though

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzbait View Post
                  The legend of the Lead Searcher just won’t go away..
                  Because I think deep down , we all know someone has been close.
                  or... have they?
                  PS - winters in the Rockies are hard on elk, foxes, rabbits and especially treasure hunters
                  you sound behind, so I'll catch you up on latest gossip --

ostensibly, ONE person was close roughly 18 months ago. then that person ___________________ (fill in the blank)
                  (gave up. went mad. had a stroke. spontaneously combusted (AT the Blaze, no less). didn't even know.)

now, there are TWO L.S. -- Stitcher & Chaos, with a third bringing up the rear.
                  We'll call him Young Gun.

But the reality is, NONE of these madcap sadsaps can seem to punch the pudding (that's where the proof is, you see)

so either, Fenn's a dirty rotten scoundrel, and there is no treasure (not a complete surprise from a guy who says "Sell" is the meaning of life, BARF)

OR, these clowns just can't finish the job. (infinitely more likely, in my opinion)

really, it comes down to a simple choice --

Mean or Dumb.

More specifically, is Fenn MEAN, or are people DUMB?

I can't speak to the first potentiality, because I don't even know the man.
                  But I do know "PEOPLE."

"both hands and a flashlight" instantly comes to mind

Fenn ventured with life. And I believe he's learning a lesson.

How many plebeians does it take to solve a riddle?

Well, the clock's still ticking.

I think Fenn's problem is -- he elbow-bumped with the cream -- actors, stars, authors, artists, millionaires.
                  His test-sample of the population was seriously skewwwwwwed.

So not knowing better, he went to the GENERAL PUBLIC to scratch an itch.

If he'd ever bothered to try selling a car on Craigslist, surely he would have known better.

Ole Fenn didn't know what he was getting into.

How deep is a hole, he asks?

Well, I think he's slowly discovering the long answer to that simple question.

My guess is -- Fenn wants this thing FOUND.

But what's he working with?

The GENERAL PUBLIC.

Who are his 3 finalists?

Probably a school teacher, a realtor, and a car salesman.
                  There may be a blind janitor stumbling around the Rockies getting closer than those other three.

It's like The Wizard of Odds -- Fenn's the Wizard, and he's trying to guide these hapless apes to a simple end location
                  via Scrapbooks, hints, winks, nods, everything the poor man can muster. The man has all but picked up the phone and
                  CALLED these wild mangeese to TELL THEM where it is. I'm not even sure THAT would end the thing.

I can't imagine the emails he must receive.

At first I thought all this was karma. Now, honestly, my heart goes out to the guy.

Comment

Bill - I’m not behind , ( I was just having a little fun here to pass the winter months) but I appreciate your comments nevertheless. (Im personally rooting for the blind janitor! )They are very well thought out , clever and insightful. I do agree with you that F wants it found though. He has a story that he is itching to tell in my opinion.
                    PS- I don’t pay any heed to gossip.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill F. View Post

you sound behind, so I'll catch you up on latest gossip --

ostensibly, ONE person was close roughly 18 months ago. then that person ___________________ (fill in the blank)
                      (gave up. went mad. had a stroke. spontaneously combusted (AT the Blaze, no less). didn't even know.)

now, there are TWO L.S. -- Stitcher & Chaos, with a third bringing up the rear.
                      We'll call him Young Gun.

But the reality is, NONE of these madcap sadsaps can seem to punch the pudding (that's where the proof is, you see)

so either, Fenn's a dirty rotten scoundrel, and there is no treasure (not a complete surprise from a guy who says "Sell" is the meaning of life, BARF)

OR, these clowns just can't finish the job. (infinitely more likely, in my opinion)

really, it comes down to a simple choice --

Mean or Dumb.

More specifically, is Fenn MEAN, or are people DUMB?

I can't speak to the first potentiality, because I don't even know the man.
                      But I do know "PEOPLE."

"both hands and a flashlight" instantly comes to mind

Fenn ventured with life. And I believe he's learning a lesson.

How many plebeians does it take to solve a riddle?

Well, the clock's still ticking.

I think Fenn's problem is -- he elbow-bumped with the cream -- actors, stars, authors, artists, millionaires.
                      His test-sample of the population was seriously skewwwwwwed.

So not knowing better, he went to the GENERAL PUBLIC to scratch an itch.

If he'd ever bothered to try selling a car on Craigslist, surely he would have known better.

Ole Fenn didn't know what he was getting into.

How deep is a hole, he asks?

Well, I think he's slowly discovering the long answer to that simple question.

My guess is -- Fenn wants this thing FOUND.

But what's he working with?

The GENERAL PUBLIC.

Who are his 3 finalists?

Probably a school teacher, a realtor, and a car salesman.
                      There may be a blind janitor stumbling around the Rockies getting closer than those other three.

It's like The Wizard of Odds -- Fenn's the Wizard, and he's trying to guide these hapless apes to a simple end location
                      via Scrapbooks, hints, winks, nods, everything the poor man can muster. The man has all but picked up the phone and
                      CALLED these wild mangeese to TELL THEM where it is. I'm not even sure THAT would end the thing.

I can't imagine the emails he must receive.

At first I thought all this was karma. Now, honestly, my heart goes out to the guy.
                      Forrest does not seem to be leading anyone anywhere.
                      The best description he is heckling those that know the general area.
                      He is a funny old goat

Comment

Originally posted by willynilly
                        I agree, he is having fun and being tricky, he’s alright in my book.
                        He's quite a stand up guy. I dont see anywhere that he has given anyone an advantage even though he is getting anxious for the hint to be over. The closest chase celebrities have been used as parakeets and dont seem to know it. Doesn't get listeners any closer, just keeps them amused.
                        Last edited by Quest; 01-28-2020, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willynilly
                          Any new news is not really news. He said you need the book and the poem and he meant it. Everything else is irrelevant imo he is playing the game, how does he have so much energy? Must keep him young
                          He has never said any book was needed. Only poem is needed !

Comment

I need rest.
                            as well...

https://youtu.be/VFEZOjtrwls

Comment

This thread raises an interesting concept: the escape strategy. Trouble is, I don't think there is one - not for the so-called LS or for Fenn. For a long time I thought of Fenn as the puppet master, but now I see him in much the same light as us searchers. Consider this line:

After a few minutes of such predictably, I lost interest, and rested on a rock to watch Donnie suffer the same angst as me. We both were strangely uncomfortable and didn’t talk much.
                              Leaving aside the misplaced comma or misspelled word (you choose - it may be just to draw attention), I'm struck by how both he (donor) and Donnie (donee) suffer similarly. They are both caught in the same canyon and just chew on their own thoughts, with little communicated directly. Bound by the same unknown fate, only to be enacted when the chest is finally opened, the mutual angst is oppressive.

Not only must a potential finder cross the T's and dot the I's to finalize the solve, but must consider how the find might irrevocably change both day-to-day life and (possibly) a wider context. Suddenly the thrill of the chase meets a larger, unpredictable reality. Maybe it's all down to timing. Although we can never be fully prepared, there may come a time when the circumstances are right. Until that time we wait.

Yes, the LS may be dumb, but s/he may also be a victim of such circumstances, no more and no less than Forrest.

Comment

Working...
                              X