THIS IS FORREST'S GAME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
    Confused on why Forrest said early on, he might not know if someone found it. That he is basically not involved with the treasure chest itself once he left it. And know he seems confident he will know as soon as it is found. I know nobody really knows . But that twist seems epic.
    I think Forrest was just acknowledging some people like Outkast may not want to pay their taxes and devalue the find. I think the newer comment is based on a person that understands the "substantial value" they would be passing up if they just act as a thief in the night against the taxman.

Comment

I've had about enough lecturing/moralizing for one day. Since FF said that the finder will have "earned it", then the finder won't otherwise be obligated, in my opinion, to FF (i.e., to "carry the torch").

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post
        I've had about enough lecturing/moralizing for one day. Since FF said that the finder will have "earned it", then the finder won't otherwise be obligated, in my opinion, to FF (i.e., to "carry the torch").
        With Forrests comment about treasure ownership tied to Subchapter S the logical translation of the phrase "will have earned it" is capital gains.

Comment

Here is another phrase you may have heard of that means carry the torch (be a light in the world). Sounds less like laborous action.

Comment

Expanding on your angle, it is almost a certainty that the person who eventually solves the clues and successfully retrieves the treasure will have invested far more hours doing so than Forrest did crafting the poem, hiding the treasure, consulting with lawyers, researching applicable laws, etc. The winner will have earned it... and the right to share as much or as little info with the searcher community as they choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

Expanding on your angle, it is almost a certainty that the person who eventually solves the clues and successfully retrieves the treasure will have invested far more hours doing so than Forrest did crafting the poem, hiding the treasure, consulting with lawyers, researching applicable laws, etc. The winner will have earned it... and the right to share as much or as little info with the searcher community as they choose.
              Forrest said there was a way for public to find out but did not want to say how. Finder can share or not share but there is something beyond their control.

Comment

Quest: keep in mind that Forrest has more than once equivocated about whether HE would be 100% sure it was found. If *he* is uncertain, then where does that leave us?

That said, Forrest is wise and so doesn't like to speak in absolutes, but I think he figured out a setup that gives him high confidence he'll know. I think that system is more likely to be psychological (incentive) than technological.

Comment

Quest: keep in mind that Forrest has more than once equivocated about whether HE would be 100% sure it was found. If *he* is uncertain, then where does that leave us?

That said, Forrest is wise and so doesn't like to speak in absolutes, but I think he figured out a setup that gives him high confidence he'll know. I think that system is more likely to be psychological (incentive) than technological.
                  It seems to me Forrest was holding back on giving out such info as Subchapter S. Subchapter S as current owner of treasure is huge. Anyone can look up Subchapter S rules and it is not a passive type of corporation. Personally I think Forrest has put a requirement of press release when Subchapter S Corp is transferred.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post

It seems to me Forrest was holding back on giving out such info as Subchapter S. Subchapter S as current owner of treasure is huge. Anyone can look up Subchapter S rules and it is not a passive type of corporation. Personally I think Forrest has put a requirement of press release when Subchapter S Corp is transferred.
                    It still requires the cooperation of the finder, something Forrest can't guarantee. No doubt there are folks who want to stay 100% off the grid; statistically, probably not the type of person who will figure it all out, but Forrest at least recognized the possibility.

Comment

It still requires the cooperation of the finder, something Forrest can't guarantee. No doubt there are folks who want to stay 100% off the grid; statistically, probably not the type of person who will figure it all out, but Forrest at least recognized the possibility.
                      Sure, initial cooperation. As Forrest said the extra thing that tells the rest of the story is substantial. I'm thinking the "big mouth bass" finder will not have issue. I'm also thinking the skidish searchers are at a disadvantage as bold and brave are not part of their personality.

Comment

Furthermore, when the finder contacts Forrest or a trustee to complete transfer of title they will help finder get over their skidishness with a compelling arguement of lost value . I dont think anyone would turn down better value in treasure and keys to an automatic money machine.

Comment

I think it would be hard for a vast majority to keep the secret a secret. Not give Forrest the swan song ending he deserves. Obvousily the treasure in worth a minimum 10× its content value because of the story behind it You wouldn't be able to sell several of the items because they would instantly traced back to ff. If you tried pawning off over a hundred $20 gold eagles coins. I'm pretty sure that would raise a flag somewhere too. And why would you consider making less then a 10th of the value just not to pay taxes while also not cashing in on the grand prize item ff put as a bonus probably to help defer taxes. I believe it was originally a 100 grand note. I'll finish up with the people saying it is found. If Foreest is positive the treasure is already in someone's possession . But they didn't notify him or act on the bonus confirmative. Why would he not release that information. It doesn't do ff any good to wait 30 days to say it has been found. Even thou you cant see the treasure from google earth or even a live feed camera system. I think there a barrier ( safe passage) before the treasure spot ff has a way of observing or detecting to confirm. I'm hoping the whole story/poem is true to his beginning words. And a kid is really able to finish IT... Just the poem and a map.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunburnt1 View Post
                            I think it would be hard for a vast majority to keep the secret a secret. Not give Forrest the swan song ending he deserves. Obvousily the treasure in worth a minimum 10× its content value because of the story behind it You wouldn't be able to sell several of the items because they would instantly traced back to ff. If you tried pawning off over a hundred $20 gold eagles coins. I'm pretty sure that would raise a flag somewhere too. And why would you consider making less then a 10th of the value just not to pay taxes while also not cashing in on the grand prize item ff put as a bonus probably to help defer taxes. I believe it was originally a 100 grand note. I'll finish up with the people saying it is found. If Foreest is positive the treasure is already in someone's possession . But they didn't notify him or act on the bonus confirmative. Why would he not release that information. It doesn't do ff any good to wait 30 days to say it has been found. Even thou you cant see the treasure from google earth or even a live feed camera system. I think there a barrier ( safe passage) before the treasure spot ff has a way of observing or detecting to confirm. I'm hoping the whole story/poem is true to his beginning words. And a kid is really able to finish IT... Just the poem and a map.
                            You sure exhibit logic. Personally I think that is one of the personalities needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Quest View Post

Sure, initial cooperation. As Forrest said the extra thing that tells the rest of the story is substantial. I'm thinking the "big mouth bass" finder will not have issue. I'm also thinking the skidish searchers are at a disadvantage as bold and brave are not part of their personality.
                              "Skittish" or smart? You forget the 7%ers (perhaps a conservative estimate on Forrest's part). Are you prepared for the GUARANTEED onslaught of (frivolous, but tedious) lawsuits, let alone the mentally disturbed axe-wielders and giant pit diggers? Some moron just got cited a few days ago for rappelling into Yellowstone Canyon... IN WINTER! These, unfortunately, are amongst the types of people the finder has to consider prior to going public.

Comment

"Skittish" or smart? You forget the 7%ers (perhaps a conservative estimate on Forrest's part). Are you prepared for the GUARANTEED onslaught of (frivolous, but tedious) lawsuits, let alone the mentally disturbed axe-wielders and giant pit diggers? Some moron just got cited a few days ago for rappelling into Yellowstone Canyon... IN WINTER! These, unfortunately, are amongst the types of people the finder has to consider prior to going public.
                                Frivolous lawsuits are just that "frivilous". And should be met with serious counter claims and damages including punitive damages. The other crazy stuff are people looking for the free giveaway. That part will be over. So maybe some people should just stay home and play canasta and practice their melding. Oops, another hint. And Thanks, skittish is the proper spelling for the people afraid to be the winner.
                                Last edited by Quest; 01-23-2020, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X