TROUT LAKE --

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TROUT LAKE --

When asked if a searcher could identify the correct WWWH without the subsequent 8 clues and rest of the poem, Fenn answered in the negative; this tells us that one must effectively 'anchor' an educated guess as to which feature is the correct WWWH with the clues that follow.

BIG PICTURE -- look at the BIG PICTURE to choose the GENERAL LOCATION, and filter down from there to pinpoint the correct WWWH.

A -- BIGGEST PICTURE VIEW -- YELLOWSTONE (Fenn's self-proclaimed favorite spot)

Click image for larger version  Name:	YELLOWSTONE.gif Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	136859

B -- Next, just look for the CANYON (one of the most prominent clues in Fenn's Poem)

Once you've Zoomed Into the CANYON, you'll see an area that is a great mach for NPFM ...

NO PLACE FOR MEEK -- LAMAR VALLEY

Lamar Valley is where the majority of WOLVES (gone ALONE in there = LONE WOLF)
    and other apex predators roam in Yellowstone National Park (one of Fenn's stated most cherished places on earth).

So find his favorite spot -- YELLOWSTONE
    Find the CANYON -- Got it
    (which also happens to be No Place For Meek)
    Then Find a viable WWWH (see next)
    and that takes you to THE Home of Brown (a beautiful one and near-perfect fit)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Soda Butte Canyon.PNG Views:	0 Size:	658.2 KB ID:	136860

What is a viable WWWH within this framework of: A) Yellowstone B) Lamar valley?

SODA BUTTE! (an extinct Warm Water geyser in this precise location)

WWWH -- SODA BUTTE A) this is a WARM WATER geyser B) It's no longer active, so it is WARM WATER that has come to a HALT.

take it in the CANON DOWN -- BUTTE CANYON -- SODA BUTTE (geothermal feature) is nestled on the edge of BUTTE CANYON, which leads us directly to ...

HOME OF BROWN -- TROUT LAKE

just a few miles into the canyon, you arrive at TROUT LAKE.

To the east (just out of view on this map/scale is THE THUNDERER aka. THOR)

Click image for larger version  Name:	TROUT LAKE.PNG Views:	0 Size:	734.5 KB ID:	136861

I'm not the first to think 'trout' = HoB, as Fenn is a life-long fisherman and has more than a few words to say about this topic.
    Well, take TROUT FISHING as one of Fenn's most sacred activities, and YELLOWSTONE as one of his most cherished spots,
    and you get TROUT LAKE in YNP. Only makes sense, right?

End Drawing Nigh -- there's a LOOP trail around the lake. While walking in a circle, the End is Ever Drawing Nigh.

NO PADDLE UP CREEK -- from parking lot, you follow a small creek UP to trout lake (note: creek is too small to paddle in)

WATER HIGH -- entire lake is fed by water streaming in just above it ...

While Yellowstone is primarily known for Lodgepole Pine, this particular little spot is unique in that it is found in the middle
    of a DOUGLAS FIR GROVE -- some of these old trees are GIGANTIC and fill their environs with an energy that is majestic and ancient,
    not unlike the redwoods in Muir Wood. (is this why Fenn mentions DOUGLAS MACARTHUR and ME IN THE MIDDLE??)

BLAZE -- ???!!!

There's a most unusual circular grove of trees on the far side of the lake

Click image for larger version  Name:	IN THE WOOD at Trout Lake.PNG Views:	0 Size:	758.7 KB ID:	136863

At ground level view, there exists one particular tree that to me looks like
    a Native American holding a bow and arrow taut (wish I had taken a pic of this!)

Is this wooden mirage the BRAVE of which Fenn speaks?

It's a tree that will stand for years, so it's IN THE WOOD

Is this the X on the map where we DIG?

I truly considered it.

This location is surrounded by a beautiful field of wildflowers (Fenn mentions this)
    and it's not too far to walk -- 2.4 miles round trip (which could be done from car in one afternoon)

Is the treasure here and I'm just missing it?

Regardless it's one of many beautiful, majestic spots worth visiting in Yellowstone National Park.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ed E. Waters; 01-19-2020, 07:15 PM.

To the Northwest of Trout Lake (HOB?) is a smaller lake named Shrimp Lake (no place for the meek?)
    “My Shadow Ain’t Cast by No Fool.” F

Comment

Originally posted by Ed E. Waters View Post
      When asked if a searcher could identify the correct WWWH without the subsequent 8 clues and rest of the poem, Fenn answered in the negative; this tells us that one must effectively 'anchor' an educated guess as to which feature is the correct WWWH with the clues that follow.

BIG PICTURE -- look at the BIG PICTURE to choose the GENERAL LOCATION, and filter down from there to pinpoint the correct WWWH.

A -- BIGGEST PICTURE VIEW -- YELLOWSTONE (Fenn's self-proclaimed favorite spot)

Click image for larger version Name:	YELLOWSTONE.gif Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	136859

B -- Next, just look for the CANYON (one of the most prominent clues in Fenn's Poem)

Once you've Zoomed Into the CANYON, you'll see an area that is a great mach for NPFM ...

NO PLACE FOR MEEK -- LAMAR VALLEY

Lamar Valley is where the majority of WOLVES (gone ALONE in there = LONE WOLF)
      and other apex predators roam in Yellowstone National Park (one of Fenn's stated most cherished places on earth).

So find his favorite spot -- YELLOWSTONE
      Find the CANYON -- Got it
      (which also happens to be No Place For Meek)
      Then Find a viable WWWH (see next)
      and that takes you to THE Home of Brown (a beautiful one and near-perfect fit)

Click image for larger version Name:	Soda Butte Canyon.PNG Views:	0 Size:	658.2 KB ID:	136860

What is a viable WWWH within this framework of: A) Yellowstone B) Lamar valley?

SODA BUTTE! (an extinct Warm Water geyser in this precise location)

WWWH -- SODA BUTTE A) this is a WARM WATER geyser B) It's no longer active, so it is WARM WATER that has come to a HALT.

take it in the CANON DOWN -- BUTTE CANYON -- SODA BUTTE (geothermal feature) is nestled on the edge of BUTTE CANYON, which leads us directly to ...

HOME OF BROWN -- TROUT LAKE

just a few miles into the canyon, you arrive at TROUT LAKE.

To the east (just out of view on this map/scale is THE THUNDERER aka. THOR)

Click image for larger version Name:	TROUT LAKE.PNG Views:	0 Size:	734.5 KB ID:	136861

I'm not the first to think 'trout' = HoB, as Fenn is a life-long fisherman and has more than a few words to say about this topic.
      Well, take TROUT FISHING as one of Fenn's most sacred activities, and YELLOWSTONE as one of his most cherished spots,
      and you get TROUT LAKE in YNP. Only makes sense, right?

End Drawing Nigh -- there's a LOOP trail around the lake. While walking in a circle, the End is Ever Drawing Nigh.

NO PADDLE UP CREEK -- from parking lot, you follow a small creek UP to trout lake (note: creek is too small to paddle in)

WATER HIGH -- entire lake is fed by water streaming in just above it ...

While Yellowstone is primarily known for Lodgepole Pine, this particular little spot is unique in that it is found in the middle
      of a DOUGLAS FIR GROVE -- some of these old trees are GIGANTIC and fill their environs with an energy that is majestic and ancient,
      not unlike the redwoods in Muir Wood. (is this why Fenn mentions DOUGLAS MACARTHUR and ME IN THE MIDDLE??)

BLAZE -- ???!!!

There's a most unusual circular grove of trees on the far side of the lake

Click image for larger version Name:	IN THE WOOD at Trout Lake.PNG Views:	0 Size:	758.7 KB ID:	136863

At ground level view, there exists one particular tree that to me looks like
      a Native American holding a bow and arrow taut (wish I had taken a pic of this!)

Is this wooden mirage the BRAVE of which Fenn speaks?

It's a tree that will stand for years, so it's IN THE WOOD

Is this the X on the map where we DIG?

I truly considered it.

This location is surrounded by a beautiful field of wildflowers (Fenn mentions this)
      and it's not too far to walk -- 2.4 miles round trip (which could be done from car in one afternoon)

Is the treasure here and I'm just missing it?

Regardless it's one of many beautiful, majestic spots worth visiting in Yellowstone National Park.
      Thanks for posting. Good luck to you.

Comment

"When asked if a searcher could identify the correct WWWH without the subsequent 8 clues and rest of the poem, Fenn answered in the negative;"

I don't believe Fenn ever said this. Evidence? Exact quote?

Comment

Originally posted by Must Listengood View Post
          "When asked if a searcher could identify the correct WWWH without the subsequent 8 clues and rest of the poem, Fenn answered in the negative;"

I don't believe Fenn ever said this. Evidence? Exact quote?
          I appreciate you calling me to task on an exact citing.

I may have taken excessive liberties in my extrapolation, as I simply 'remembered' what I had taken from this blurb.

While not certain, I believe I was recollecting the below Q&A ...

Someone unfamiliar with your poem receives a message that says “meet me where warm waters halt, somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe”. Would they be able to work out where to go? If they can’t, would they need the whole poem, another stanza, or just a line or word to help them on their way? ~Phil Bayman

There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f

(I'm just now realizing that Fenn said to "look at the Big Pitcher" (phonetically, at least) --
          Dizzy Dean reached a whopping 300 lbs and of course was a Pitcher --

it wasn't until years later Fenn filled us in that the "Big Pitcher" was in fact Dizzy Dean.

Spooky.

Comment

Sorry, I don't agree with your interpretation of Fenn's answer, but thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry, I don't agree with your interpretation of Fenn's answer, but thanks for responding. I appreciate it.
              I'm not sure I do either, but I'm too tired to confirm my lack of confirmation.

I remember Fenn once quoting himself proclaiming the right to ... disagree with his (former) self / statements.
              (although I may be botching this one too, as it's another rustily recollected anecdote I haven't bothered looking up --
              sloth abides tonight b/c I ate too many carbs... enchiladas, beans, rice ...)

I think the willingness to disagree with oneself is a rare and godlike quality. it opens up universes of possibility those who cling
              to restrictive ego will never even behold. If we can basque in our own folly, or at least allow for its very real and necessary existence,
              we can go just about anywhere because we won't be lugging the heavy loads of salacious untruth and obstinate denial around every corner.
              The frightened ostrich never sees things very clearly.

Comment

By the way, EEW, I love Trout Lake. Great Hike and beautiful pictures. I didn't notice the treasure there, but I would not think that you would have to dig if its in YNP. But of course I know nothing for sure.
                Last edited by Must Listengood; 01-19-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

By the way, EEH, I love Trout Lake. Great Hike and beautiful pictures. I didn't notice the treasure there, but I would not think that you would have to dig if its in YNP. But of course I know nothing for sure.
                  Wait, John SNOW? ...

and it's EEW ...

(but thanks anyway for the attempted upgrade ... )

Comment

Soda Butte... Soda Butte is an extinct geyser but an active hot spring was a favorite place of superintendent Norris, Believed its waters to have medicinal value, also in the early days of the park a lot of the names for various locations were different they were named after soda butte geyser. Ice box canyon was soda butte canyon, trout lake was soda butte lake, Druids peak was Soda Butte mt. then there was the Soda Butte soldiers station right across the road. the house there was later moved to the Lamar Buffalo ranch and housed one Garry Brown a famous Yellowstone Ranger.

I agree with you regarding the big picture, there are many places where warm waters halt (plural) and for me a good location that COULD describe when searching for an area where a multitude of warm warm waters halt. Is the Yellowstone caldera's rim (basically the park, because it's a 40 mile wide super volcano) I tried a lot of locations within that park but the one that makes the most sense to me is a place called Warm Creek Picnic grounds and while I didn't have trout lake as a destination for retrieving the treasure i had it as a HLWH for a bit. here's why.. it sit's on a bench above the Lamar valley for waters high and in the 1800's there's what i feel is an exaggerated story about the locals in Cooke City netting ten tons of fish out of that lake for heavy loads.. hows that for a fish story? also the creek running from the lake agreed makes for a great no paddle creek. that solve eventually evolved to include the land surrounding the Lamar Buffalo ranch and an entirely different HLWH. basically Warm Creek dumps into Soda Butte Creek, a perfect meeting place and adventure launch point as one could enter the creek there and fish and canoe down that creek to the Lamar River past Soda Butte leaving there car at the picnic grounds at warm creek and keep going down through Ice Box canyon and into the Lamar Valley all the way down stream to what would have been another Picnic ground in Forrest time, below ranger Browns cabin. The old picnic grounds that you can find on old maps that's gone now a perfect put in place for putting into shore and a great place to pick up a boat. for me MEEK is a brand name of a reel no place for the meek being no place to bring your fishing gear as your at the place to begin your quest for treasure so you wont be fishing from this point on.. just my twist on things.. I think your in the right area but I think the hidey place is close to the Yellowstone Forever Institute aka the Lamar Buffalo Ranch. the historical value / archeological importance of that location is not widely known but, the old shorelines of an ancient lake are visible here as well as through out the valley. that whole area spent some time submerged at the end of the last ice age and was a large glacial lake, also there was an original homestead that predates the Buffalo Ranch as well as the old Bannock Indian trail following highway 212 there (at one time referred to by some as Soda Butte highway or road) as well as being the boiling point of water (yes its a lower temperature at that altitude). the old trail splits there and runs up over the hills towards bison peak. there's a large stone circul on the slopes up there above the ranch that's in my opinion truly to far to walk (his age and the terrain eliminated it for me as a location) as well as rock shelters in the caves and cliffs on your way to up Bison Peak, a lot of Native American artifacts as well as native rock cairn burials scattered all over that location... I have some pictures of some as well as artifacts that we left in place. just a good time for us when we there to search. another oddity was the amount of travertine scattered all over that place (some worked by hand) it seemed odd for it to be carried into that location and was out of place as the most prevalent stone was rhyolite one thought was travel from extinct geyser to extinct geyser but because of the brutal hiking conditions in that area we weren't able to cover enough ground to find anything or a source for said travertine, also.. its a hard hike if your fit even harder if your 80.

One last thing about that entire area.. highway 212 is the ONLY road that's open year round in Yellowstone National park, its the lifeline for Cooke City, Silver gate and the Lamar Buffalo ranch, it allows people to travel to Gardiner for food and medical so that road is maintained and kept open year round. correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Forrest said that he could get to the location any time of year? it leads me to believe that the Lamar Valley is the location and that its not to far off the highway (212)... thoughts?

https://naturalatlas.com/picnic-area...-creek-1933699
                    https://www.yellowstone.co/sodabutte.htm
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Buffalo_Ranch
                    Last edited by 1keyword; 01-20-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1keyword View Post
                      Soda Butte... Soda Butte is an extinct geyser but an active hot spring was a favorite place of superintendent Norris, Believed its waters to have medicinal value, also in the early days of the park a lot of the names for various locations were different they were named after soda butte geyser. Ice box canyon was soda butte canyon, trout lake was soda butte lake, Druids peak was Soda Butte mt. then there was the Soda Butte soldiers station right across the road. the house there was later moved to the Lamar Buffalo ranch and housed one Garry Brown a famous Yellowstone Ranger.

I agree with you regarding the big picture, there are many places where warm waters halt (plural) and for me a good location that COULD describe when searching for an area where a multitude of warm warm waters halt. Is the Yellowstone caldera's rim (basically the park, because it's a 40 mile wide super volcano) I tried a lot of locations within that park but the one that makes the most sense to me is a place called Warm Creek Picnic grounds and while I didn't have trout lake as a destination for retrieving the treasure i had it as a HLWH for a bit. here's why.. it sit's on a bench above the Lamar valley for waters high and in the 1800's there's what i feel is an exaggerated story about the locals in Cooke City netting ten tons of fish out of that lake for heavy loads.. hows that for a fish story? also the creek running from the lake agreed makes for a great no paddle creek. that solve eventually evolved to include the land surrounding the Lamar Buffalo ranch and an entirely different HLWH. basically Warm Creek dumps into Soda Butte Creek, a perfect meeting place and adventure launch point as one could enter the creek there and fish and canoe down that creek the the Lamar River past Soda Butte leaving there car at the picnic grounds at warm creek and keep going down through Ice Box canyon and into the Lamar Valley all the way down stream to what would have been another Picnic ground in Forrest time, below ranger browns cabin. The old picnic grounds that you can find on old maps that's gone now a perfect put in place for putting into shore to pick up a boat. for me MEEK is a brand name of a reel no place for the meek being no place to bring your fishing gear as your at the place to begin your quest for treasure so you wont be fishing from this point on.. just my twist on things.. I think your in the right area but I think the hidey place is close to the Yellowstone Forever Institute aka the Lamar Buffalo Ranch. the historical value / archeological importance of that location is not widely known but, the old shorelines of an ancient lake are visible here as well as through out the valley. that whole area spent some time submerged at the end of the last ice age and was a large glacial lake, also there was an original homestead that predates the Buffalo Ranch as well as the old Bannock Indian trail being highway 212 (at one time referred to by some as Soda Butte highway or road) as well as being the boiling point of water (its a lower temperature at that altitude). the old trail splits there and runs up over the hills towards bison peak. there's a large stone circul on the slopes up there above the ranch that's in my opinion truly to far to walk (his age and the terrain eliminated it for me as a location) as well as rock shelters in the caves and cliffs on your way to up Bison Peak, a lot of Native American artifacts as well as native rock cairn burials scattered all over that location... I have some pictures of some as well as artifacts that we left in place. just a good time when we there to search. another oddity was the amount of travertine scattered all over that place (some worked by hand) it seemed odd for it to be carried into that location and was out of place as the most prevalent stone was rhyolite on thought was extinct geyser to extinct geyser but because of the brutal hiking conditions in that area we weren't able to cover enough ground to find anything or a source, also.. its a hard hike if your fit even harder if your 80.

One last thing about that entire area.. highway 212 is the ONLY road that's open year round in Yellowstone National park, its the lifeline for Cooke City, Silver gate and the Lamar Buffalo ranch, it allows people to travel to Gardiner for food and medical so that road is maintained and kept open year round. correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Forrest said that he could get to the location any time of year? it leads me to believe that the Lamar Valley is the location and that its not to far off the highway (212)... thoughts?

https://naturalatlas.com/picnic-area...-creek-1933699
                      https://www.yellowstone.co/sodabutte.htm
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Buffalo_Ranch
                      and now EVERYBODY knows the key details I was leaving out,
                      so instead of waiting till spring to go get the darn thing
                      I now have to go camp out there and hold vigil over TC
                      until the ground thaws out.

i guess i'll see you there.

maybe if we get along we can make Smores and chase 'em down with buffalo milk.

Comment

that information has been out on several forums for about two years... nothing new here.

MMM buffalo milk...

Comment

Oh... not to mention the map contained in the poem that blaze the path to the hidey spot ish.. It's all there but the last part and thats the ball breaker because with out it? its so hard to find anything in that terrain. your in the right local.. now youll never find this BUT here's a clue. "Las Vegas" now google search Henderson Yellowstone.. what do the results have to do with Forrest, and..... X marks the spot, your effort will be worth the cold for shure. the beauty is no one will ever be able to figure out what that means.

I've been to the location that this leads to if you have found the blaze, there is a hint to it in the poem. on the old trail look for stones crossing it, there placed end to end it's one boundry and youll be in the right place. I know what I missed but I wont be back..

two pair, three of a kind and a wild card, find them. you'll know them when you see them before you even get there.

LOL so cryptic and fun..
                          Last edited by 1keyword; 01-20-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1keyword View Post
                            Oh... not to mention the map contained in the poem that blaze the path to the hidey spot ish.. It's all there but the last part and thats the ball breaker because with out it? its so hard to find anything in that terrain. your in the right local.. now youll never find this BUT here's a clue. "Las Vegas" now google search Henderson Yellowstone.. what do the results have to do with Forrest, and..... X marks the spot, your effort will be worth the cold for shure. the beauty is no one will ever be able to figure out what that means.

I've been to the location that this leads to if you have found the blaze, there is a hint to it in the poem. on the old trail look for stones crossing it, there placed end to end it's one boundry and youll be in the right place. I know what I missed but I wont be back..

two pair, three of a kind and a wild card, find them. you'll know them when you see them before you even get there.

LOL so cryptic and fun..
                            reading this just excited me.

Comment

nothing new under the sun apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X