Which Line of the Poem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Line of the Poem...

...do you think is most clever, and why?
    To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

I think these 3 lines are equally clever, because no one (except the LS) figured out what these objects, the pillars of the poem, are and what relation are they to each other:
    Begin it where warm waters halt
    Put in below the home of Brown.
    If you’ve been wise and found the blaze

If you'd force my hand to select one line out of this threesome, I pick "The Blaze" ...

Comment

As I have gone alone in there..
      I believe this is the cleverest line in the poem because it sets the stage. f probably worked on this line over and over again

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
        Oooooo... I love this topic, Rahrah. I was enraptured by the first lines of the poem from the very first time that I read it. It sounded so much like a pirate treasure speak that I was hooked because of my love for those scurvy swashbucklers! The warning in the poem “ but tarry scant with marvel gaze, just take the chest and goin peace” is an example . I can imagine a pirate Captain, complete with eyepatch writing this line on parchment by candlelight in his cabin.
        As for the most clever, I’d have to say. “ From there, it’s no place for the meek” ... and so on because of the double entendre possibilities and this is the part where it gets really real to me. You better be on your toes because you are close and there’s no second place in this hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Coinaster
          The last clue is the most clever.... No one has solved it!
          That's a good possibility.. I can't figure out how many paces from the blaze it is yet.. lol

Comment

For me, so far, the most clever line is But tarry scant with marvel gaze - when I figured it out (as much as one can figure it out not really knowing if they're right until they have the chest), I was quite impressed by just how clever it was!
            To be right for someone, you have to be willing to be wrong for someone else.

Comment

The clEVEREST is the 10th, almost on top!

Comment

For me, so far, the most clever line is But tarry scant with marvel gaze - when I figured it out (as much as one can figure it out not really knowing if they're right until they have the chest), I was quite impressed by just how clever it was!
                That could be it then, he kept sayen marvel gaze, or was that whalt, either way that sounds great!

Comment

I would have to agree on that line Rah Rah.

I also like:
                  Not far but too far to walk
                  Why is it that I must go
                  The end is ever drawing nigh
                  I can keep my secret where
                  And with my treasures bold

......dang, I think actually all of them are clever. I can't pick one.

MC

Comment

I have 24 favorites when it comes to cleverness... I wonder if it‘s too critical to openly discuss lines representing later clues assuming that almost all of us are working on them on base of a wrong 1st (ca. 95%), 2nd (ca. 97%) or 3rd/4th clue (ca. 99.6%).... hmmm? So let‘s go on and discuss those!!

I‘ll start... RahRah‘s favorite line „If you‘ve been wise and found the blaze“... I found two... one GEable and one not... whatcha think? How does it go on? Both have a „downside“...
                    „It‘s almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd without singeing somebody‘s beard.“
                    G. C. Lichtenberg

Comment

Originally posted by JChere View Post
                      As I have gone alone in there..
                      I believe this is the cleverest line in the poem because it sets the stage. f probably worked on this line over and over again
                      Ditto

Comment

I think all the hint and clue lines are clever. My favorite is the rainbow and the one that gave me the most trouble I think was, worth the cold. I continue to be amazed that 99% of searchers continue to try to marry the definition of the word in the poem to a place on a map. It seems to me to be analogous to finding a round peg that fits inside a square hole and exclaiming "IT FITS"

Comment

“If you are brave and in the wood
                          I give you title to the gold.”

Comment

Hint of riches new and old
                            There will be no paddle up your creek

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Riches.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	135977

Comment